Favorite Unit

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aethaeryn
Translator

Re: Favorite Unit

Post by Aethaeryn »

Darkmage wrote:Sincerely, there is not a best unit, there are units with a better use on different moments, i mean, wose are great units if you to crush things on low def or block, also quite good to make the bones no longer move(guess i talk about the skeletons), but in retaliation, at night vs undead are quite crappy, attack goes down to 9(more or less) and retaliation goes higher and just wait an adept to hit the wose twice. And for lancer, the same, the counter of a firststrike pikeman may not be deadly, but doubled and having 3 hits is something to be aware of.
I used to think mages were highly powerful, and then hordes of orc grunts changed my mind.
I'd still take a mage over a wose to fight Undead since the ideal melee counters for Undead (woses and HI) are also the only units the slow Undead guys can outrun, but you're right. Different units for different moments. (Then again, to hate mages because they're not that good unprotected against waves of grunts isn't a good reason to hate mages). One of the reason mages, shamans, and dark adepts are awesome is that they all have really nice promotions (if they can live). Saurians are the one exception to the magic-units-have-cool-upgrades rule.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Darkmage
Translator

Post by Darkmage »

(Then again, to hate mages because they're not that good unprotected against waves of grunts isn't a good reason to hate mages). One of the reason mages, shamans, and dark adepts are awesome is that they all have really nice promotions (if they can live)
Sure, but i meant to show how a 20g guy is killed by a 12g guy, as it has been said before, spearman is another unit to keep in mind.

A unit i really like graphically talking is the silver mage.
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

Darkmage wrote:Sincerely, there is not a best unit, there are units with a better use on different moments...
Of course. Wesnoth is too well-balanced to have any such thing as a "best unit", though every specific situation would have a best unit - the one that would be most useful at that point, of course.

Woses, for example, would be great if your opponent was crazy enough to field large numbers of Skeleton Archers. And a few Woses are generally useful against the Undead, or anywhere you need Impact damage but can sacrifice speed to get it.
Aethaeryn wrote:I'd still take a mage over a wose to fight Undead since the ideal melee counters for Undead (woses and HI) are also the only units the slow Undead guys can outrun, but you're right. Different units for different moments. (Then again, to hate mages because they're not that good unprotected against waves of grunts isn't a good reason to hate mages). One of the reason mages, shamans, and dark adepts are awesome is that they all have really nice promotions (if they can live). Saurians are the one exception to the magic-units-have-cool-upgrades rule.
Mages(and Adepts) can also destroy Ghosts, something which melee counters(Woses/HI) cannot do.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Skrim wrote:
Darkmage wrote:Sincerely, there is not a best unit, there are units with a better use on different moments...
Of course. Wesnoth is too well-balanced to have any such thing as a "best unit", though every specific situation would have a best unit - the one that would be most useful at that point, of course.
Maybe if you only count lvl 1s. Any lvl 4 or 5 unit could arguably be the best, especially ancient lich.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Darkmage
Translator

Post by Darkmage »

Maybe if you only count lvl 1s. Any lvl 4 or 5 unit could arguably be the best, especially ancient lich.

Well yes try gobbo against ancient lich or walking corpse vs delfador or shide vs bat, obviously you take same level comparison, that's why about the lancer i used the pikeman instead of the halberdier.

Btw i also like the inferno drake
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

campaign wise i like the silver mage and the shadow/nightgaunt. one is a game ender, all you need to do is wait for the enemy to stop recruiting for a couple of turns and to get 2 of them, and the other is awsome because i often need to split my army in chunks to kill multiple leaders, and this guy can go from one group to another fast.

the silver mage gets bonus points because it's the hardest to kill leader in gladiator arena, thanks to teleport.
uzytkownik

Post by uzytkownik »

Footpad line
Erlend

Post by Erlend »

My favourite unit is the goblin :)

The reason why is obvius :!:

edit: I still remember the time when a goblin won against a lvl 3 dwarfish ighter (dont remember the correct word..) in a rumble final :DDDD
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

:shock: Image :augh:
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
edgar55

Post by edgar55 »

Necromancer of course!

The high resistance, the magical attacks and the plague ability, makes this unit one of the most strong of the game.
"When the light came up, the real commanders came out"
- Glaedr95
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

edgar55 wrote:Necromancer of course!

The high resistance
Ehm, you mean the +20% against arcane... or what? Oh you probably mean high HP, don't ya?
Otherwise, its a decent unit!

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

meh, im not a fan of low strike units, give me an arch-mage over a necromancer any day (unless im fighting drakes, in which case necromancers rule :twisted: ).
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Pentarctagon wrote:meh, im not a fan of low strike units, give me an arch-mage over a necromancer any day (unless im fighting drakes, in which case necromancers rule :twisted: ).
Ironic, considering your signature.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
silent

Post by silent »

Drake Blademaster

I dislike having too many or too few strikes as too few means misses are way too costly (especially for unlucky grunts/adepts), while too many strikes reduces your chance to inflict a large overall amount of damage on a target compared to a unit with higher attack but fewer strikes.

I therefore like the blademaster for it's large amount of damage it can inflict while having a decent number of strikes to go with it. Also, the ranged attack can be useful for retal or just when you don't want to risk a melee attack. The movetype and movement also make it great to evade and reach a batlefield in time, and the large HP is also good.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Aethaeryn wrote:Ironic, considering your signature.
yeah, well, ive had too many experiences of adepts missing 2 consecutive times :roll: . a mage, on the other hand, will rarely miss every time.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code