Favourite map

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Erlend

Favourite map

Post by Erlend »

I know that this is silly, but I was bored. I want to know what your favourite maps is.

For me it is: 1. Royal rumble
2. Isars cross
3. Water rumble (my own map :O)
4. dont remember the name of kards map..
5. 6 worlds
6. Strange love
7. dont remember the name of Dharokans map..

And many more,but this was the best maps that I could think of right now :)
cobra

Re: Favourite map

Post by cobra »

1. Isar's cross

The rest are changing all the time. :D
Thank you President Bush
Ask not what wesnoth can do for you, but what you can do for wesnoth.-cobra
5dPZ

Post by 5dPZ »

There are lot of maps I like, Clash, Loris River, etc; I can't really rank them by order.

But for LEAST fav one

-1: Isar Cross.
mabeenot

Post by mabeenot »

About time we had a favorite map thread...

I know Isar's Cross is the most played map online and it certainly is fun for both team and ffa games. However, I personally prefer 2 and 3 player ffa maps more than team fights. At least in ffa, you don't have to worry about your teammate disconnecting or completely screwing things up. Here are my favorites:

1. Island of the Horatii
2. Weldyn Channel
3. Isar's Cross (no teams)
4. Den of Onis
5. Hornshark Island
Last edited by mabeenot on July 29th, 2009, 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

#1 is castle hopping isle

isar's is ok if i just want a quick match, but otherwise it is rather annoying.

my favorite addon map is colloseum (used to be SXCastleofCantar, the sheer difficulty/lack of leader variability was kind of a turn off).
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
HenryBird

Post by HenryBird »

I personally play on random maps quite often, seeing as it can be interesting to try and overcome various random disadvantages.

However, given that sooner or later everybody wants a fair match, I'll play on nearly any of the balanced maps.

At the same time, I do find it odd that people persistently play nothing but Isar's crossing, again, and again, and again... variety is the spice of life folks!
-Henry Bird

Indeed, I am a bird. But as birds go, I'm more like an awkward fowl who's going extinct and can't fly.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

HenryBird wrote:At the same time, I do find it odd that people persistently play nothing but Isar's crossing, again, and again, and again... variety is the spice of life folks!
Agreed. You are really missing a lot of Wesnoth's offerings if you just play that one map.

If you want play it only because it's quick, just set a timer on a small-ish 1v1 map.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Araja

Post by Araja »

1: Colloseum
2: All other kinds of RPG
3: All of my User Maps
4: Everything else
randomdragoon

Post by randomdragoon »

I like Hamlets for a quick, fun game. It also has the added plus of being visually pleasing, something that is almost impossible for maps with cave terrain (for my tastes). I'd rather have balance than visuals, to be sure, but why not have both. Fallenstar Lake is also one of my favorites, for this reason.

Too many leavers on Isar's... satisfies the "quick" part but not the "fun" part.
Colosseum and Royal Rumble were pretty fun at first but they've gotten boring as of late. On Royal Rumble, midas+charisma hasn't failed me yet, except in cases where the other player also went midas+charisma or I got killed before I could take a turn. The latter issue is especially troublesome and is what holds that scenario down, IMO.
Colosseum is really predictable once you've played it several times. It gets interesting when you have inexperienced players in the mix, but too many of those and you just get angry.

I rarely have enough time to play a long 2v2 game, so I haven't tried out most of those maps. Castle Hopping Isle looks really fun though.

1v1v1 map tend to be rather unfair and don't work with my aggressive playstyle very well. Ironically, 1v1v1v1 maps tend to do better, since if two players form a temporary alliance, the other two players can also ally making the game still balanced (unlike in 1v1v1, if two players ally the third player is screwed). Some fun stuff has happened on King of the Hill.
Araja

Post by Araja »

My favorite PvP would would have be Castle Hopping Isle, but this is only has the title because it's one of the only 4 PvP matches I've ever played (and I've been around since I started playing 1.0 on my laptop), and the only one of those 4 which I really enjoyed.

Mercenaries Era,
Avians and Hive Vs Ninjas and Holy Order

Yes, I really am that withdrawn from PvP... :oops:
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

The Freelands is my favorite map.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
The1exile

Post by The1exile »

1. Hornshark 1vs1
2. Royal Rumble
3. Any RPG-esque game like SX except colosseum.
Rubies for passion, rubies for revenge.
Chris7mas

Post by Chris7mas »

Included by default in Wesnoth:
1. Castle Hopping Isle - great, just great 2vs2 map
2. Loris River - just finished a great 4-hour game on this one - replay here
3. Waterloo Sunset - 3vs3 for when I'm really in the mood for a long game
4. Fallenstar Lake (actually I like the former Meteor Lake more, but it's a good map for 1vs1), maybe Hamlets 1vs1 should be here somewhere too
5. Isar's Cross - maybe controversial and criticized by many, this is a great popular map for 2vs2

Eventually Paths of Daggers too.

In add-ons, only Colosseum, haven't played much of the maps which don't come included in Wesnoth.
Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air...
TuxArena - Linux news, tutorials, articles & reviews
silent

Post by silent »

1. Cynsaun battlefield
I used to love this map back when I only played drakes, it is incredibly fun and strategic to pit huge armies against each other, but unfortunately there is also a high leave rate due to how long turns take and it's not a small quick map. I also like it because it's one of the few 1vs1 maps that isn't divided into 2 sides, such as the weldyn channel and sulla's ruins. I seem to dislike it for some reason.

2. Most other 1vs1 maps
Are normally fun, but there are some I'd like over others. Fallenstar lake would be my next favourite though

3. Royal rumble
With the exception of having your leader KO'd first turn.

4 Colosseum
Too many leavers and failed tactics, but still fun.

I only play Isar's if I am extremely bored.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

just a question, but has anyone else noticed how many people seem to die on turn 4 in colloseum? turn 4 is probably the deadliest turn, despite it only having 3 lvl 1's as spawn.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code