Favorite Weapon?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Favorite Weapon?

Post by thespaceinvader »

I edited one in. After a while though, you're just going to have to learn what they mean, since using an acronym tag takes longer than just typing the words.

I tend to only use such tags for Wesnoth-specific acronyms.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Araja

Post by Araja »

But there are so many of them.

Just when I'm sure you know ALL the in-game acronyms, I discover the forums have a whole new set... :augh:

WINRP, HAPMA, QFT, AWDI...most of them aren't even a TLA!
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

Araja wrote:Dunno, maybe it also uses Bowmen, Heavy Infantry, Fencers, Cavalrymen, Horsemen, Mages, and Mermen. :P
And Sergeants/Lieutenants. Don't forget those guys.

And Ogres. Sometimes.

And Peasants. If there's no other choice.

To know why they really use so many Spearmen, read the unit description. It says that spears are very cheap and easy to craft, and relatively easy to train with, while swords are considerably more expensive and difficult to use for an otherwise untrained peasant.

As for the acronyms/abbreviations, there's a wiki page about those.
Araja

Post by Araja »

But those guys aren't standard recruits.
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

So what? Mermen Fighters are canonically not part of the Royal Wesnoth Army, but they're still part of the Loyalist faction. If anything, the Mermen are allies of Wesnoth. The faction is built for game balance first, and lore comes afterwards.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Araja wrote:You have to aim down and your targets would be so much smaller, and you would probably encounter more wind resistence than if you were on the ground.
The range of the weapon does not increase just because you're flying, so you'd still have to get just as close...
A Guy wrote:How does the Wesnoth military get so far with just spearmen?
You rarely recruit just one. ;) Plus, my statement was speaking towards the impression that the user has no skill with either of the weapons. As noted by Skrim, it would be easier to train a Spearman.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
stupidjaguar

Post by stupidjaguar »

Turuk wrote:The range of the weapon does not increase just because you're flying, so you'd still have to get just as close...
Wouldn't it? If you were flying and you aimed down, a thunderstick or arrow would accelerate downwards for however long the drawstring (or barrel) accelerate it for, and then would accelerate at gravity's acceleration the rest of the way. It would still hit the target and you would be farther away from it. And also, additional height increases the horizontal distance that a projectile is in free fall.
Last edited by stupidjaguar on August 7th, 2009, 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am of two minds; I shall be complete when I can bring them into harmony.
stupidjaguar

Post by stupidjaguar »

thespaceinvader wrote:I edited one in. After a while though, you're just going to have to learn what they mean, since using an acronym tag takes longer than just typing the words.

I tend to only use such tags for Wesnoth-specific acronyms.
I ended up googling "QFT" after you quoted me. I got two definitions. I hope it was the compliment definition and not the "I'm preserving this so you can't edit it later" definition.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

stupidjaguar wrote:It would still hit the target and you would be farther away from it. And also, additional height increases the horizaontal distance that a projectile is in free fall.

If the target was nice and stood still for you.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
stupidjaguar

Post by stupidjaguar »

I mean you could aim at a moving target, but you would aim knowing you were farther away and that it would hit later. It doesn't have to stand still.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

stupidjaguar wrote:I mean you could aim at a moving target, but you would aim knowing you were farther away and that it would hit later. It doesn't have to stand still.
If the target is moving, the further away you are from the target makes it easier for the target to be past the spot where the projectile will hit by the time the projective gets there.
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

Ranged Weapon - Dragonstaff
Melee Weapon - Elvish Champion's Sword

Could be slightly difficult to wield both together though...
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
SillySod

Post by SillySod »

stupidjaguar wrote:
Turuk wrote:The range of the weapon does not increase just because you're flying, so you'd still have to get just as close...
Wouldn't it? If you were flying and you aimed down, a thunderstick or arrow would accelerate downwards for however long the drawstring (or barrel) accelerate it for, and then would accelerate at gravity's acceleration the rest of the way. It would still hit the target and you would be farther away from it. And also, additional height increases the horizontal distance that a projectile is in free fall.
Air resistance might alter that.

Plus if you really want to hit that moving target you are pretty screwed if it turns even slightly.
The1exile

Post by The1exile »

SillySod wrote:Air resistance might alter that.
All Air resistance can do is reduce the increase in speed. There's pretty much no way air resistance would make the thunderstick projectile/arrow/whatever travel slower, so range should still be increased.
Rubies for passion, rubies for revenge.
Araja

Post by Araja »

It will certainly mess up your aim though, blowing projectiles off course.