Wesnoth Reference Poster

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Wesnoth Reference Poster

Post by Turuk »

This could fit either way, but a left to right format with the stats in a box underneath might work out nicely? That way the relevant stats are right under the unit itself, and you can follow the progression.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time

Helmet

Post by Helmet »

ancestral wrote:Some progress.
Nice work.

I would suggest smaller arrows, small enought that they don't disappear behind the units. And maybe a less bright color for the arrows, such as gray--that way the colors of the units will jump at you more than the arrows, IMHO.

mathieu

Post by mathieu »

Hi
the poster idea sounds good to me, so I've made a perl script to produce automatically the units tree in a pdf.

It scans the wesnoth directory (/usr/share/games/wesnoth/data/core/units on my Debian box), internally draws things in SVG format, then exports (with ghostscript) everything in a PDF file.

You can find the PDF on my website (because I can't upload PDF on this forum) : http://www.guim.info/dokuwiki/dev/wesut

I've try to write the most informations I can in unit boxes.

Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

It's probably better to use the perl WML parser from wesnoth (utils/wml.pm) instead of that regexp based parsing you do which as you already noticed breaks at least in the case of Walking Corpses. Nowadays most scripts are in python though so the perl stuff could be a bit outdated (though it's not like basic WML syntax has changed..). As a reference you might want to look at data/tools/wmlunits which is the script that produces http://units.wesnoth.org.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott

mathieu

Post by mathieu »

ok, thanks for the informations, I'll take a look at that.

Zachron

Post by Zachron »

ancestral wrote:Some progress.

I plan on somehow incorporating some stats. Yet to figure that out. A box somewhere, maybe with some numbers in some shapes.

But I like the top-down design, and yes, the arrows have slightly whimsical edges.

Will finish for each faction, and then try to put it onto the sheet. My goal is to have it take up 1/3 to 1/2 of the poster.
Do one like this for each faction... and do one for all the factions. It'll be just like that Pokemon poster.
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/

ancestral
Developer

Post by ancestral »

mathieu wrote:Hi
the poster idea sounds good to me, so I've made a perl script to produce automatically the units tree in a pdf.

It scans the wesnoth directory (/usr/share/games/wesnoth/data/core/units on my Debian box), internally draws things in SVG format, then exports (with ghostscript) everything in a PDF file.

You can find the PDF on my website (because I can't upload PDF on this forum) : http://www.guim.info/dokuwiki/dev/wesut

I've try to write the most informations I can in unit boxes.
That's great, though you are aware of the wml tool that does it to HTML? It's what produces the tree at units.wesnoth.org.

The difference with the poster is that it will feature a lot of other information also.

Unforunately the reference poster has taken a back seat to the Ascension era that I'm close to releasing, but Some of the work on that I may take to apply here.

Here's an example of what the unit tree may start to look like. I still like the idea of a vertical tree, so this might change a bit:

Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer