"Earth names" for named units

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

manored

Re: "Earth names" for named units

Post by manored »

Blarumyrran wrote:thespaceinvader, but how could i possible take seriously someone who condemns people only based on level of intolerance!
Great reply! I wish I keept a list of great replies to put yours on! =)

By the way, what is that thing in your avatar?
Gambit wrote:Today the random name generator thingamajig tossed me a drake hatchling named Mark. I've lost faith in this discussion now.
Its life :) Maybe give the randow generator a list of names to not generate? (Im assuming it doesnt does that already due to this "mark" incident) =)
thespaceinvader wrote:I find it interesting that you find that name too long, but your signature contains the name 'Horatio' which has the same number of syllables...
yrran is a syllable? It might be because english is not my first language, but I have no idea of how to pronounce that :)

Personally I think Blarumyrran is the word a dwarf running back to the mountain-homes while shaking his arms above his head and screaming would scream in order to indicate the approach of a great and terrible monster, or their word for "thunder"
Turuk wrote:I think it's the double 'r' that scares people, they just do not know how to deal with it.
True.
Turuk wrote:I have a general question for those who have written here or others who care to respond.

Outside of main characters/leaders or loyal units, how many people pay attention to the names of their units (other than perhaps as a tool to note which of the same unit has which traits)?
I dont pay much attention, but I like to change a unit's name then it reaches lv3, as these units are usually significant enough in a campaign for you to remember their name :)
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Bla-rum-y-rran
Ho-ra-ti-o

4 syllables each...

And ah, the age-old debate about tolerating intolerance. It seems hypocritical to conemn people for their intolerance. And quite frankly, I'm OK with that. Condemning people for things which are actually negative characteristics is not a bad thing, in my opinion.

But that's enough time spent off-topic.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Shibamage

Post by Shibamage »

Blarumyrran had nothing to do with intolerance (at least, I didn't mean it that way :) ); it only had to do with was "looked" difficult to pronounce, to me, and wasn't actually.
Intolerance would be if I'd condemned/insulted his culture or nation because of his name, not just said his name looked difficult to pronounce. If anything, that's my stupidity, not my intolerance. :lol2: But anyway.

I pay attention to my units' names; I often rename them if their name is almost funny, or almost awesome, just needing a letter or a part of their name removed. ^^
I can name some of my units right now: Anon, the champion from my brother's playthrough of Heir to the Throne; Gér Farail, a hero and Gleollyn Llwellyn, a renamed horseman, from my playthrough of Heir to the throne; Kari the Tax Collector from the South Guard [he always got my villages], Fendelong, my favourite lackey from the Legend of Wesmere....and I always tried to make it through the missions without them dying. (I think Fendelong and Kari actually made it to the end of their respective campaigns.) :D
For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his soul?
Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
~ Matt. 16:26

My ST/SW fanfiction! :D
Mordocai
Code Contributor

Post by Mordocai »

I hardly ever notice the names. Of course, i also come from more of an RTS background(and didn't pay attention to the names of the ones in the RPG games i played...). By the way, how do you rename units? Is it a command?
manored

Post by manored »

Mordocai wrote:I hardly ever notice the names. Of course, i also come from more of an RTS background(and didn't pay attention to the names of the ones in the RPG games i played...). By the way, how do you rename units? Is it a command?
Just like you place labels: right click on the unit, click on rename, have a little discussion with your imagination, your sense of taste and maybe your decency.
Mordocai
Code Contributor

Post by Mordocai »

Just like you place labels: right click on the unit, click on rename, have a little discussion with your imagination, your sense of taste and maybe your decency.
Hmm... i could have sworn i had looked for that before... Oh well, certainly found it after you told me!
The1exile

Post by The1exile »

thespaceinvader wrote:Bla-rum-y-rran
Ho-ra-ti-o
I suspect manored is pronouncing "ho-ratio", which is three syllables (hor-ay-sho).
Rubies for passion, rubies for revenge.
manored

Post by manored »

Mordocai wrote:
Hmm... i could have sworn i had looked for that before... Oh well, certainly found it after you told me!
Nice
The1exile wrote:
thespaceinvader wrote:Bla-rum-y-rran
Ho-ra-ti-o
I suspect manored is pronouncing "ho-ratio", which is three syllables (hor-ay-sho).
I had it "ho-ra-tio" actually. I have always sucked at spelling though, especially in foreign languages :)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

manored wrote:I had it "ho-ra-tio" actually. I have always sucked at spelling though, especially in foreign languages
The only thing with that is that I cannot say it without altering how the name sounds entirely.

Though I also perceived Blarumyrran as Blar-u-myr-ran or Blar-u-myrr-an.

Thanks for answering my question about the unit naming everyone, it's nice to know that I am not the only one who thinks of them as pieces to be controlled as I crush my enemies.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Turuk wrote:Though I also perceived Blarumyrran as Blar-u-myr-ran or Blar-u-myrr-an.
I thought it was "Blar-um-yr-ran" or "Bla-rum-yr-ran"

I guess that's the best part of his name: everyone has a different way to pronounce it.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

thespaceinvader wrote:And ah, the age-old debate about tolerating intolerance. It seems hypocritical to conemn people for their intolerance. And quite frankly, I'm OK with that. Condemning people for things which are actually negative characteristics is not a bad thing, in my opinion.
Such as liking Asimov? See, you agree with me already!

& i for one pay very frequent attention to unit names; less in campaigns than in mp, but still. There are few things you can do on your opponents turn, renaming your units by some theme (typefaces, soft drinks, batman villains) is one of them.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Ooh look, a circular argument. What FUN!
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Blarumyrran wrote:There are few things you can do on your opponents turn, renaming your units by some theme (typefaces, soft drinks, batman villains) is one of them.
Yes, especially if you're Undead and you don't have names in the first place. I once named a whole set by Mario characters I could remember the names of (I like the 2D Mario games): Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, Toad, Yoshi, Wario, Waluigi (from Mario Party), Donkey Kong, Bowser, Wart (boss in Super Mario Bros. 2, US). I still had units left over. (EDIT: Actually, I think you were in that game, with typfaces, and were winning.)

Hasn't this thread been a "little" hijacked?
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
manored

Post by manored »

Turuk wrote: Thanks for answering my question about the unit naming everyone, it's nice to know that I am not the only one who thinks of them as pieces to be controlled as I crush my enemies.
Dont forget the "and to be sacrified at any moment I deem advantageous" part :)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

manored wrote:Dont forget the "and to be sacrified at any moment I deem advantageous" part
As is only fitting, they died heroically for the cause and all that.
Aethaeryn wrote:Hasn't this thread been a "little" hijacked?
Eh, at least it is still about names, and the original question had been answered and died out.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time