"Earth names" for named units

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: "Earth names" for named units

Post by Sangel »

thespaceinvader wrote:You'd have a tough case to make for Dune to be the most famous sci fi work ever written... You might be closer if you said 'novel' or 'book' rather than 'work', but even then, I think peoplel like Asimov probably have the edge...

I've read Dune in the past (admittedly, a long while ago), and I didn't make the connection.
Generally, I do not consider films or television shows to be "written" as such; their screenplay definitely is, and writing involved, but the work as a whole is usually described as being "filmed".

That said, I would say that, while Asimov has a large number of very impressive science fiction novels and series (Foundation and Robots and Rama, oh my!) and while he could well be considered the most famous of science fiction authors, Dune probably commands more name recognition as a stand-alone work. But like I said, it's arguable. 8)
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Gambit wrote:Today the random name generator thingamajig tossed me a drake hatchling named Mark. I've lost faith in this discussion now.
I've gotten real world names before on Wesnoth units, too. It's really rare, and I can't remember a specific case, but I know that it has happened to me once or twice. I don't think it was with a human, though. The way the generator works, it happens sometimes. They're random, after all.

That being said, that's no excuse to then go out and make a campaign about a Drake named Mark and a Saurian named Phil. If you have common and generic names, no one will take the campaign seriously.

We have to go for the happy medium in names between units like "Mark" and units like "Blarumyrran."
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Aethaeryn wrote:We have to go for the happy medium in names between units like "Mark" and units like "Blarumyrran."
Would you say Aethaeryn is on the far end of the spectrum as well? ;)
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Aethaeryn wrote: We have to go for the happy medium in names between units like "Mark" and units like "Blarumyrran."
What is so wrong or abnormal about Blarumyrran? Thats not even difficult to pronounce.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Shibamage

Post by Shibamage »

There's nothing wrong with Blarumyrran per se, names just shouldn't get any longer than that.
Otherwise, situations like these might happen:

Konrad: Look out! It's Blaru....Bla....Mu....

Blarumyrran: *Whack*
For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his soul?
Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
~ Matt. 16:26

My ST/SW fanfiction! :D
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I find it interesting that you find that name too long, but your signature contains the name 'Horatio' which has the same number of syllables...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I think it's the double 'r' that scares people, they just do not know how to deal with it.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Shibamage

Post by Shibamage »

Yeah, it's the "look" of the name when it's written that seems too long. Blarumyrran is quite unfrightening to pronounce if you just try, but it "looks" difficult (even to me, who has a 3-syllable name).

Horatio, on the other hand, has the same amount of syllables, but fewer letters, and ends on a vowel. Plus, it's well known; all of that goes towards making it seem less difficult. (It's the same kind of thing with my own name, which is why it is easy to pronounce. Beats me how people get it wrong. :annoyed: )

This is of course my own opinion, and for all I know may be way off the mark for most people. :lol2: But that's how I see it and feel about it, anyway. :D
For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his soul?

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Perhaps, but given the international nature of this forum and this game, I would imagine there are a number of names that I would think were quite hard to pronounce that other cultures have no issue with at all. You can't win them all.
Shibamage

Post by Shibamage »

Yes, probably.

((I personally like to call my core units by 1- and 2- syllable names because it's easier to remember a lot of short names rather than a lot of long names (to me), but just having random long names generated for everybody isn't really a problem.))

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I have a general question for those who have written here or others who care to respond.

Outside of main characters/leaders or loyal units, how many people pay attention to the names of their units (other than perhaps as a tool to note which of the same unit has which traits)?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Not remotely. I could rarely tell you names of anyone who doesn't get dialogue/isn't loyal. And even with loyal units, they tend to be 'loyal X' rather than a name. I never really understood those people who got very connected to their units. but then, i come from an RTS rather than an RPG background...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Turuk wrote:I have a general question for those who have written here or others who care to respond.

Outside of main characters/leaders or loyal units, how many people pay attention to the names of their units (other than perhaps as a tool to note which of the same unit has which traits)?
I don't.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

I do. I thought it was really clever that each unit was unique.
Last edited by SkeleRanger on July 15th, 2009, 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index... Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

I sometimes see the names, but it's often by chance that I find out a funny/cool/similar-to-my name.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]