iPhone port started!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: iPhone port started!

Post by ancestral »

I just want congratulate you on your work so far! Thank you, Kyle. We all look forward to its completion!

Question: Where does the Wesnoth money go? Is there a fund or foundation somewhere? Is there a bank account? Is there someone who controls this?

Apart from this release, can I give money to this person to be put into this account as a part of this foundation for the Wesnoth project?
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Theron

Post by Theron »

First, I appreciate your work bringing Wesnoth to the iPhone (I own a 3G).

Second, I'm fine with you charging money for the port.

But I'd like to see the possibility to upload/download saves.
Why?
Most campaigns are long and/or have large maps.
Imagine I start playing HttT at home (reaching scenario 8 ).
Then I have to go on a short trip (without notebook).
I transfer the saved game (or scenario start) to my iPhone (playing scenario 9 and 10).
And finally being at home again I want to continue with scenario 11 on a larger screen (transferring the save again).
Dokkal

Post by Dokkal »

Theron wrote:First, I appreciate your work bringing Wesnoth to the iPhone (I own a 3G).

Second, I'm fine with you charging money for the port.

But I'd like to see the possibility to upload/download saves.
Why?
Most campaigns are long and/or have large maps.
Imagine I start playing HttT at home (reaching scenario 8 ).
Then I have to go on a short trip (without notebook).
I transfer the saved game (or scenario start) to my iPhone (playing scenario 9 and 10).
And finally being at home again I want to continue with scenario 11 on a larger screen (transferring the save again).

That'd be a good feature to have, because not everyone is going play exclusively PC or iPhone if they have it.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Kyle,

Great to hear things are going well.

I know that porting Wesnoth to an embedded system is probably fairly complex, so please let us know if there's anything that we can do to help you.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

One can email from the iPhone, right? Can't you email saves to yourself?
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Theron

Post by Theron »

TSI:
AFAIK it's not possible to save email attachments in arbitrary locations and to send attachments.
Sending and receiving application data like savegames has to be done inside the application itself.
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

Yes, of course. Since then one could simply E-mail applications to the Iphone, thus bypassing the Apple's store. And Apple wouldn't want that happening, right?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Ah, OK. Yeah, at the very least some way to make savegame data available on the usb drive portion of the iphone (assuming it has such a thing) would be good.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
GuypronouncedGuy

Post by GuypronouncedGuy »

- the price point has been set at $4.99. This is in line with or cheaper than other comparable iPhone games
Well, there's $4.99 that's going to kill any productivity I planned on in the next month! :D
Soon as this hits the store you'll have my money Kyle, excellent work!

EDIT: DOGGONE IT! I just read the 30+ pages on that other forum and realized I missed the beta group!! Darn you....darn you to heck Kyle! (Just kidding, I'm still buying it the second it hits the app store)
Honour is given
Respect is earned
Trust is shared
Integrity is a choice, not a trait.
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

When the beta starts (hopefully sooooon) I'll invite anyone here with an iPhone or iPod touch to participate. The beta contest at Touch Arcade was mostly to keep the forum thread active to gain publicity :lol2:
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Am want! Me am muchy want! Me want do beta.

The funny thing is I'm posting this from my iPhone. I'm probably going to have to be cheap and request a free copy because my parents absolutely don't allow me to download anything that costs cash. I'd buy it off the app store if I could, though, and rest easy knowing that I benefitted the wesnoth project.

In any case, you now get a generic message of encouragement here! Hope to see the full app soon!
Dokkal

Post by Dokkal »

YES!

I knew it! I knew Kyle wasn't one of those ":D I maed sumthin for ipod $10naowkthxbainoupdatz"

I am someone who...well...likes to "obtain" things for free. But this game is definitely worth $5 for the iPod, so I'll have to get an iTunes card. :3
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

Hello all! In case you are subscribed to this thread, see http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27139 for information about the iPhone beta signups!