iPhone port started!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JemDaddyO

Re: iPhone port started!

Post by JemDaddyO »

Censorship wrote:
JemDaddyO wrote:Because the most obvious option for me is always the one I will overlook. Just ask my wife. :P

I thought I had been trolling the User forum regularly enough that I wouldn't have missed that whole thread but oh well. I guess I better go use this magical Search feature you speak of to see if a beta has been released already, under my nose.
You mean lurking right? trolls are terminal illness of the internet
Sorry, I meant it more like 'scanning' as in checking daily. Trolling as in the fishing term rather than acting like a troll... ok maybe that's spelled trawling. Woopsee. My bad.
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

JemDaddyO wrote:Sorry, I meant it more like 'scanning' as in checking daily. Trolling as in the fishing term rather than acting like a troll... ok maybe that's spelled trawling. Woopsee. My bad.
Yep, that's lurking; trolling also has a negative conotation on the web (as in posting a rage-inducing post to get people all fired up and make angry repiles…). :wink:
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Kalajel wrote:
JemDaddyO wrote:Sorry, I meant it more like 'scanning' as in checking daily. Trolling as in the fishing term rather than acting like a troll... ok maybe that's spelled trawling. Woopsee. My bad.
Yep, that's lurking; trolling also has a negative conotation on the web (as in posting a rage-inducing post to get people all fired up and make angry repiles…). :wink:
And is thus the opposite of lurking, which implies keeping a low profile.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Aethaeryn wrote:And is thus the opposite of lurking, which implies keeping a low profile.
I wonder if it's possible to lurk and troll at the same time.

I suppose if you were an admin, and you messed with forum permissions or something... ;)
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Zarel wrote:
Aethaeryn wrote:And is thus the opposite of lurking, which implies keeping a low profile.
I wonder if it's possible to lurk and troll at the same time.

I suppose if you were an admin, and you messed with forum permissions or something... ;)
Maybe if your name itself was trolling, and people saw you on the "viewing this fourm" list.

(Should this whole tangent be split?)
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
JemDaddyO

Post by JemDaddyO »

Aethaeryn wrote:
Zarel wrote: I wonder if it's possible to lurk and troll at the same time.

Maybe if your name itself was trolling, and people saw you on the "viewing this fourm" list.

(Should this whole tangent be split?)
Ok, ok! I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.... nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition

Enough about lurking vs. trolling, how is the iPhone port coming along? Kyle? Beta anytime this week? How much space will I need to free up on my 8GB phone? To get CivRev on there, I had to remove a bunch of videos. :wink:
odd

Post by odd »

I too have been stalking this thread waiting to be able to test Wesnoth on my iTouch 2nd gen. Pretty exciting, stuff, specially if we could play with folks using a comp.
Darkest

Post by Darkest »

Wow! Wesnoth was exactly the missing thing from iPhone. (this and the "make a cup of coffee" function)

:hmm: But I have a question: if this is an open-source app, how will you pay the annual 99$ licence to publish apps on the app store? I mean, will it still be free or will it cost a few cents to cover the expenses?

This is what we* have been wondering for a long time, so if you answered you would make us very happy. :D

*we means I and a few people from http://wif.altervista.org, the italian wesnoth community. (Don't waste time following this link if you don't know the italian)

Thanks for the attention, and sorry for my English.
We came here from the holy forest of the true metal and the other eavy minerals. What do you want, my lord?
Oh, mighty proud true brave defenders from the holy forest of the true metal, we need true metal
And my lord, we will give you True Metal of Steel!
sero

Post by sero »

Open Source does NOT mean that the Wesnoth iPhone App has to be free. It only means that the source code must be freely available, so that improvements in the iPhone port can Be backported to the main Wesnoth project.

Doing the initial port to the iPhone is a huge task and maintaining it, keeping track of the constant improvements in the Wesnoth project even more. I hope Wesnoth for iPhone 1.0 will be a great iPhone game. I would be happy to pay around 5 EURO for the game, thats what I payed for Monkey Island as far as I remember. If the game is updated to new Wesnoth versions on a regular basis it's well worth the money. There a to many 1 EURO apps in the AppStore that have great potential but do not get any updates because the budget doesn't allow any support.

It would be great if part of the Wesnoth for iPhone earnings were donated to the main Wesnoth project.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

sero wrote: It would be great if part of the Wesnoth for iPhone earnings were donated to the main Wesnoth project.
We have an agreement with KylePoole under which a substantial portion of the earnings will be donated to Wesnoth.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Dave wrote:
sero wrote: It would be great if part of the Wesnoth for iPhone earnings were donated to the main Wesnoth project.
We have an agreement with KylePoole under which a substantial portion of the earnings will be donated to Wesnoth.

David
I would really like to see it be free, as in $0. I would rather donate money, to a BfW foundation and to Kyle Poole himself, and encourage other people to donate instead of putting up a cost for it. There will be a lot of people looking at Wesnoth for the first time, through downloading the app on their iPhone, and I think we should emphasize and show what has made the project so successful, and part of that being it's totally free.

Anybody can capitalize on an opportunity and take advantage of a situation, but the person who sticks to who they are and remember why they're doing something and treat the scenario no differently is definitely a better person for it. Just because there could potentially be half-a-million people downloading the app shouldn't automatically mean we should act or treat it any differently.

Wesnoth has always been free. Why not keep it that way?
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Even though I don't have an iPhone myself, I would also donate money to keep an iPhone version free.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
cornmander
Inactive Developer

Post by cornmander »

Since Wesnoth is GPLed KylePoole will have to make the source code readily available on request if he distributes a copy of Wesnoth with his own modifications. Anyone is free to repackage his source code and put the app up on the appstore for free, although Apple may not accept a duplicate application in the store.

Personally, I think the app should be free since it'll increase downloads. However, I have no problem with a Wesnoth app in the appstore with a pricetag. There is a $99 developer fee that you have to pay before developing for the iphone, so at the very minimum it'll help the developer recoup those costs. Whether or not making money off Wesnoth is 'against the spirit' is moot - what matters is what the GPL says - and the GPL doesn't stop anyone making money off another person's sourcecode (see http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/08/01/169247 for a discussion of this). The only gotcha I can think of is copyright issues.

Besides, Wesnoth isn't a completely free project anyway - look at the advert on the homepage ;)

my 2c.
Blueblaze

Post by Blueblaze »

Yay, iPhone users have to pay a Wesnoth tax :annoyed:

For a free game that can be downloaded and played on practically any computer made in the last 10 years which also will play better on the computer, anything more than $1 sounds unreasonable. Granted, charging anything for a lower quality and or less playable version of the game is possible to label a sellout.
Last edited by Blueblaze on September 1st, 2009, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

No, iPhone users have to pay an iPhone tax ;)

It doesn't cost extra money to develop for other systems.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.