The Internal Workings of Wose.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The Internal Workings of Wose.

Post by Ken_Oh »

PsychoticKittens, obviously no one here knows. Rather than "there's no answer" for an answer, remember this is an open-source game. Put forth some good content that has a good explanation for your question (you're also going to have justify why even ask the question in the first place) and it could become canon. That's the nature of a Free game.
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

PsychoticKittens wrote:Right, I wanna know what makes wose tick.

Plants don't have cognitive abilities, nor a language. What sort of organ do woses have that allows them to think and use logic? Where is it? Do they have a voicebox, if they have a voicebox how does it work; since most plants breathe through pores there wouldn't be air going through it and it'd be abit odd right? Or do they have lungs too? So confusing.
The stuff that makes Woses tick is the same stuff that makes Elves, Dwarves, Trolls, Orcs, Drakes, Saurians, Mermen, Nagas, Ogres, Skeletons, Ghouls, Ghosts, Human magi/necromancers, Human outlaws, and Monsters tick.

Imagination.

There are only a few units in Wesnoth that could be replicated in reality. Spearmen, Bowmen, Fencers, possibly Heavy Infantry, Horsemen, Cavalrymen. That's about it.
PsychoticKittens

Post by PsychoticKittens »

Well, I was just wondering if they had some form of animal biology going on. But I guess I can deal with them being magical trees. :wink:

Thanks anyway guys. I was sleeping the whole time you guys talked about this XD
Creator of: Mercenaries Era; Modern Combat
Future Projects: Faunima: Land of Monsters
Temporarily Dropped Projects: Zombie Horde
Darkaros

Post by Darkaros »

Is it possible that Woses are a hive mind alien species that are slowly turning the native wild treelife on the planet into more Woses, and are plotting with the Elves to slowly conquer the world?
More from Tv Tropes:
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

They were apparently created by Eru Ilúvatar at the behest of Yavanna: when she learned of Aulë's children, the Dwarves, she foresaw that they would fell trees, and desired creatures to serve as Shepherds of the Trees to protect the forests from Dwarves and other perils. Although the Ents were sentient beings from the time of their awakening, they did not know how to speak until the Elves taught them.

It just so happens PK that after having LOTR week (watched all the movies in a row an hour or so at a time) I was dreaming up a short Wose campaign.
Now wheres that sprite of a wose holding a club... :lol2:
Last edited by Gambit on July 3rd, 2009, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Umm yeah, that would be Ents, not Woses :P
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Indeed. Ents are the tree shepherds. Woses herd the bushes, shrubs, and undergrowth. :|
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

Woses are magical - look at their arcane resistance. Arcane attacks are anti-magic.
Last edited by A Guy on July 4th, 2009, 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
manored

Post by manored »

"Woses are utterly unwarlike, but possess a great strength" Why everthing related to elves must be unwarlike :)
Gambit wrote:they did not know how to speak until the Elves taught them.
Good things LOTR elves are immortal :)

I suppose woses could be animated by something similar to what animates skeletons, corpses and ghosts. I mean, if skeletons can move winhout muscles, if corpses can move with dead muscles and ghosts can move winhout ever having muscles, why shouldnt trees be able to move that way? :)
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

There are several real life plants that exhibit motion. What they do is grow cells very very rapidly at the point they want to "move". Such a thing could be taken to the extreme in order to move something like an arm.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

There are plants which move full stop. Venus fly traps, various pitcher plants, sensitive mimosa etc etc. A theoretical plant motion mechanism would probably be hydraulic - slow but powerful. BUt realistically, it's easier to say tha they're magic.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Araja

Post by Araja »

"Realistically, let's just say they're magic"

Ahhh...Only in Wesnoth...
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

No. Realistically, it's easier to say they're magic. I'm not suggesting that magic is a more realistic explanation, it's just a FAR easier one to use. And yeah, that's not 'only in Wesnoth' it's in ANY setting where magic (or for that matter, theoretically impossible technology) is used. Without exception.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

And magic makes a perfectly good excuse in wesnoth because in it's setting science would not have yet picked picked apart a wose :)

Keep in mind that the earth used to be the center of the galaxy, witches were everywhere, and posies cured the plague. And of course my all time personal favorite, maggots were magically spawned from rotting meat.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I wouldn't be surprised if an upstart dark adept got curious about woses and decided to look into it. literally. but even if they did, nobody would know about it since anything related to the dark arts is automatically destroyed most of the time anyway.

given that a second sun was raised into the sky, a geocentric model might not be that far off.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code