Deep Underground & Illuminate

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Edwarfin

Deep Underground & Illuminate

Post by Edwarfin »

In "Hasty Alliance", the deep underground condition provides a 30% boost to Chaotic forces (instead of 25%).

With illuminate, forces at night "fight as if it were dusk" and at dusk "as if it were day". In the underground, I've been working from the assumption that illuminate would provide a neutral environment. In the deep underground, though, what happens? Is it 5% for chaotic forces, or do troops fight as if it were the next-lowest light condition (in this case, underground)?

Sorry for the convoluted question; hopefully you can still see what I'm getting at.

- Bob
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: Deep Underground & Illuminate

Post by Gambit »

I believe illuminate creates a daylight area around it no matter the time of day. This means that whether it be day, night, dawn, dusk, or underground, lawful units fight better next to illuminating units, and chaotic units fight worse. And all is as usual for those pesky neutral units.
Darkaros

Post by Darkaros »

Illuminate gives a guaranteed 25% boost to lawful units and guaranteed 25% deficit to chaotic units, which is the simplest form of the effect.

At Night or normal underground, Illuminate make lawful/chaotic units fight with no damage modifier.

But at abnormal cases, like deep underground, Illuminate makes lawful units fight with -5% damage and chaotic units fight with +5% damage, because deep underground gives -30% and Illuminate only gives +25%. Might help if the ability was more clear about this, but you can check the damage calculation to check.

Abnormal cases also apply if someone makes a wml ability... For example, Obscures (Illuminate that makes areas darker) with deep underground with a stacking effect gives a very annoying +55% bonus to chaotic units, which was not good news for me on UMC.
Last edited by Darkaros on June 9th, 2009, 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Ah so its +/- 25%.
jmegner

Post by jmegner »

I'm sure glad the forums are here. The game manual confused me:
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/w ... al.en.html
Illuminates: This unit illuminates the surrounding area, making lawful units fight better, and chaotic units fight worse. Any units adjacent to this unit will fight as if it were dusk when it is night, and as if it were day when it is dusk.
I read this and I thought illuminates gave no bonus during the day.
Joram

Post by Joram »

jmegner wrote:I'm sure glad the forums are here. The game manual confused me:
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/w ... al.en.html
Illuminates: This unit illuminates the surrounding area, making lawful units fight better, and chaotic units fight worse. Any units adjacent to this unit will fight as if it were dusk when it is night, and as if it were day when it is dusk.
I read this and I thought illuminates gave no bonus during the day.
I have always understood this to be correct. Illuminate gives no bonus, nor penalty during the day.

I could be wrong though, but I haven't noticed it doing so.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Joram wrote:I have always understood this to be correct. Illuminate gives no bonus, nor penalty during the day.

I could be wrong though, but I haven't noticed it doing so.
That is the point, as illumination during the day serves no purpose since there is sunlight.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Darkaros

Post by Darkaros »

Whoops, forgot to mention that part. :hmm: ...