Best user-made campaigns.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pfhortipfhy

Best user-made campaigns.

Post by Pfhortipfhy »

I'm new, so I'd like to get the feeling for what the best usermade campaigns are. 1.6 release, preferably.

Also, I don't know if this has been discussed, but a rating system for the addon server would be pretty cool.

Thanks in advance!

PS: gotta love the lecture smiley here.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Best user-made campaigns.

Post by Turuk »

Pfhortipfhy wrote:Also, I don't know if this has been discussed, but a rating system for the addon server would be pretty cool.
It has been discussed multiple times in the past, you can search for the previous discussions.

I don't know about the best user-made campaigns, but if you look through the Add-On feedback forum you can see some of the campaign threads for the complete campaigns, which might give you an idea of where to start.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

That an addon with a high rating equals a good addon is a pretty silly assumption, in my opinion.

Anyways, like Turuk said, a rating system for addons has already been discussed and rejected several times.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Dalkor

Post by Dalkor »

Pfhortipfhy, sorry to say, but it depends on how you determine what's best. A few off the top of my head to get you started though. Delfador's Memoirs is an extremely well-made campaign (about to go mainline if I'm not mistaken) as well as Invasion from the Unknown. The campaigns made for the Era of Myths like Count Kromire are excellent as well. And don't forget The Dark Hordes.

P.S. On the topic of the Era of Myths, if you have skill as an artist, please contact JW about making artwork for said era. Talentless end-users like me will thank you. It makes me sad to see such a fun era go without animations and the like. :(

P.S.S. There's also this really awesome user-made campaign called Heir to the Throne. Check it out. :wink:
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

Baufo wrote:That an addon with a high rating equals a good addon is a pretty silly assumption, in my opinion.

How so? Isn't that the whole point of ratings, to get feedback on perceived quality?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Pariah wrote:How so? Isn't that the whole point of ratings, to get feedback on perceived quality?
Right, but some people will like the add-ons for very subjective reasons. You might like the story in campaign A and give it a 5, I might hate it and give it a 1. Another person might give it a 1 solely on gameplay while a fourth gives it a 4 based on gameplay. Some people might love the Era of Magic because the units are what they had always wanted to play with and think that the Imperial Era is too much like history they did not care for, so they give the former a 5 and the latter a 1. Others might give different numbers based on what they think of the balance of the Era is and not on the actual units themselves or background.

A rating system would create issues because the feedback would be based on incredibly varied opinions.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

Try The War Of Terrador. Needs the Era of same name and Space Terrain Packet. My Idea, mostly my Art.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Yeah, the question was about the BEST UMCs...

Try Delfador's Memoirs, which is currently being prepared for mainline, and Invasion from the Unknown, a semi-sequel to UtBS.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

All of the IE and EoM campaigns are good too; IMO a lot of them are good enough that they would be mainlined if not for the fact that they don't use the default unit set. The IE campaigns are the five in a row all with fiery braziers as the icon.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

turin wrote:The IE campaigns are the five in a row all with fiery braziers as the icon.
Ah, the catch when you want to use a unit image from a campaign that other users don't have. ;)

Turin makes a good point, his campaigns all tend to at least relate to each other which has a sort of continuity which is nice, and the EoM campaigns allow the user to also test out a different unit set in campaigns.

A few other notables are Dead Water, Sceptre of Life, and Bad Moon Rising.
Ektheleon

Post by Ektheleon »

I really like EoM, which campaigns involve that?
JW

Post by JW »

Ektheleon wrote:I really like EoM, which campaigns involve that?
Count Kromire
The War of the Dragon
:)

Both can be found on the add-ons server, author: Velensk
cretin

Post by cretin »

is war of the dragon on the 1.6 yet?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

War of the Dragon isn't on 1.6, but unless something goes wrong, I should have it up by the end of today.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

We are talking about a game or a campaign. Whether anyone else likes it or dislikes it,
does not mean that your experience will be the same. So IMHO rating is pointless.