Well done! Loving this game!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sudo

Well done! Loving this game!

Post by sudo »

I've played my share of games over the years, and I've always had a soft spot for turn-based rpgs. My favourite battle engine has always been from the old Gold Box AD&D games (pool of radiance!). Lately I've been playing more of the 'tactics' strategy type games. I've found some good ones, but it's been a long time since I got sucked into a game as much as the Battle For Wesnoth. I imagine it only gets better as I go deeper into longer campaigns, I can't wait to see what higher level units can do, especially mages and healers. The graphics and gameplay mechanics are both quite awesome! The game team and open source community at large have really done something quite amazing here!

Thanks a lot for a fantastic game and all the add-ons for free!! A fine example of what fans can accomplish for the joy of it.

Speaking of add-ons, I'd love to hear any suggestions for some of the best add-on campains and anything else that can add features to the game.

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Best Open Source Apps ~ just doing my part...
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Well done! Loving this game!

Post by Turuk »

Always nice to see that people appreciate the game that so many people have contributed too.

If you are looking to try out a variety of features, I would suggest perhaps downloading a few of the Eras from the add-on server and play a few multiplayer games. While the balance may not be the same as default, it will give you factions full of whole new units for you to experience and play around with.

If you prefer campaigns (my personal preference), there is a list in my signature that will direct you to all the campaigns that exist on the 1.4 or 1.5 server. I would suggest playing through some of the mainline campaigns as you are to get a feel for how the game works and then delve into the add-on campaigns as they often contain additional units or have events that may differ from what you have gotten used to in mainline.

Some campaigns use the Eras in order for you enjoy the campaign experience while playing with new units. The series of campaigns by Turin(4 in all) make use of the Imperial Era while the campaigns by Velensk (2 total) make use of the Era of Myths. Beyond that, browsing through the Scenario and Campaign Development forum will let you see which campaigns are being developed currently and so will give you a chance to choose to try your hand at some of the newest add-on campaigns. Some of these, such as Dead Water, Sceptre of Life, and Bad Moon Rising are actually complete, but still ironing out a few bugs. Invasion from the Unknown is not a new campaign, but one that has undergone a great deal of work by Shadow_Master, and is an epic campaign that will take you a while to finish (if you want to play a longer storyline). Not to say that they are better than any others, but they spring to mind most readily and can be played through to the finish.

Hopefully this will help to whet your appetite and let you discover more of Wesnoth to enjoy.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
sudo

Post by sudo »

Amazing! Thanks for the suggestions.

One thing that I really see in the game is that it's exactly what a turn-based strategy rpg in a fantasy setting style game should be. No compromise for budgets and office politics. It's like fans of that style of game have all contributed to make it as perfect as possible. Oh wait, that's probably exactly what happened...

I'll definitely be telling people to play. Multiplayer, that's a whole other thing! :)
Buddy Jimm

Post by Buddy Jimm »

Every time I want to come back and help develop again, I try to play it first to see what's new and exciting. Then I get addicted again and never get around to coding. :/
After death, the doctor.
lamperouge

Post by lamperouge »

Sudo, I agree with you entirely!
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

sudo wrote: I imagine it only gets better as I go deeper into longer campaigns, I can't wait to see what higher level units can do, especially mages and healers.
I'm guessing from this you haven't played much mulitplayer, or at least not Age of Heros. If you do, you can select high level units for leaders. And speaking of high level mages, the Mage of Light is insanely awesome. :D
Speaking of add-ons, I'd love to hear any suggestions for some of the best add-on campains and anything else that can add features to the game.

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Add-on campaigns: Life of a Mage (I believe the name's changed now, but something similar).
A New Order
Unstoppable Legion (I think that's the name).

Note, these may not all be completed yet. I haven't even finished two of them.

Add-ons for multiplayer: Age of Legends

Imperial Era

Brotherhood of Light
map.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
sudo

Post by sudo »

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't even tried multiplayer yet, I've been enjoy the prepacked campaings so far. I'm on the last novice one now.

Is there ever a time in the game when ranged attacked can be truly ranged? ie: launched from a few hexes away?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

sudo wrote:Is there ever a time in the game when ranged attacked can be truly ranged? ie: launched from a few hexes away?
Not in mainline, but there are a few modifications (such as the Ranged Era) where attacks can be made at a difference. If you search the forum, you will see why ranged attacks across multiple hexes are not in mainline. Check out the FPI in the Ideas forum as well.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
sudo

Post by sudo »

I stopped playing for a couple of days but now I'm deep into Heir to the Throne, and can't stop playing!

This ain't your grandma's turn based strategy, when you get into levels like Valley of Death, a poor strategy is unforgiving! This game goes pretty deep, but once you learn the intricacies it just gets better... I'd say leveling has been my biggest challenge but after reading some of the how-to guides I'm now making better use of cannon fodder so other units can get xp on killing blows and stay protected.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

sudo wrote:This ain't your grandma's turn based strategy, when you get into levels like Valley of Death, a poor strategy is unforgiving! This game goes pretty deep, but once you learn the intricacies it just gets better... I'd say leveling has been my biggest challenge but after reading some of the how-to guides I'm now making better use of cannon fodder so other units can get xp on killing blows and stay protected.
Just wait until you try playing against a human opponent. :wink:
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

It's refreshing to hear from a player who genuinely enjoys the game and is getting so much fun out of it. I am sure there are plenty of people who do, but few people come here to post as much. They usually post the opposite. ;)

Hope you do well in HttT, good luck with the rest of the scenarios.
sudo

Post by sudo »

Posting my Kudos is the least I can do. I run and maintain a bunch of web sites and know how thankless providing people with free services can be. Plus this game is effin awesome! I've been telling everyone I know who games about it. I just don't get why 'open source' is such a deterrent for some. In my mind the label 'open source' tells me it will be better than anything I can buy.
Voqar

Post by Voqar »

sudo wrote:One thing that I really see in the game is that it's exactly what a turn-based strategy rpg in a fantasy setting style game should be. No compromise for budgets and office politics. It's like fans of that style of game have all contributed to make it as perfect as possible. Oh wait, that's probably exactly what happened...
I'm a new player and I'd agree with this.

I'd expand to say this is what I want in PC games in general - solid gameplay, great AI, strong single player, challenges, and lotsa fun (I only do "multiplayer" in MMORPGs but I can see how this game would be great for it).

I'm glad I stumbled on to this game - it's one of the better games I've played in quite a while and from a raw enjoyment perspective it easily surpasses a lot of big budget bloat games.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

sudo wrote:I stopped playing for a couple of days but now I'm deep into Heir to the Throne, and can't stop playing!

This ain't your grandma's turn based strategy, when you get into levels like Valley of Death, a poor strategy is unforgiving! This game goes pretty deep, but once you learn the intricacies it just gets better... I'd say leveling has been my biggest challenge but after reading some of the how-to guides I'm now making better use of cannon fodder so other units can get xp on killing blows and stay protected.
I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying Wesnoth so much! I myself got hooked several years ago, dabbled in sprite art for the game, wandered off, wandered back, got hooked again... is it 2009 already?

The wonderful thing about Wesnoth is that the vibrant community keeps putting out new and interesting content. When I first joined the community, Heir to the Throne was only just being completed, other campaigns were only just being started, and multiplayer games were rare. Now, there are dozens of complete campaigns, dozens of games going on at any time of day, and some very well-considered eras which offer a completely new playing experience for those who wish to play that way.

If I could offer a tip for playing longer campaigns such as Heir to the Throne, it would be: Do not be afraid to return to the start of a level - or even go back several levels - if for some reason you find yourself stuck. In longer campaigns, building up a strong list of higher level units becomes especially important, and later missions will be much harder if you can't rely on a core of L2 and L3 units to keep your L1s alive.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
sudo

Post by sudo »

You speak the truth, I've been learning a lot about the value of protecting your characters especially high level or those about to level. I've been playing levels 3 or 4 times until I'm really happy with my strategy. I've never been one to replay levels, so another testament to the fun-ness of the scenarios. These longer campaigns have a whole new dimension in working with higher levels. Fireball looks so awesome!

Now, to discover what these "eras" are all about.