add-ons not working / more details

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

salsaman

add-ons not working / more details

Post by salsaman »

Quite often I load in a new add-on, it seems to load successfully, but it never appears in the list of campaigns.

It would be nice if the game gave some feedback as to what went wrong / what was missing, etc.

It's also confusing as to what the add-ons are - some are campaigns, some seem to be maps - others seem to be "eras" - what are they ? So it would be nice to have more explanation as to what the add-on was. Perhaps a description field that one coudl click on to retrieve more information before commiting to download the (sometimes several megabyte) downloads.

Another thing - it would be nice if there were some indication that an add-on had already been downloaded, to prevent a user from downloading several times.

And finally, it would be great if there were some kind of version tracker so that if a new version of a downloaded added were available, the user could be notified and upgrade to the latest release of it.
TheMasterOfBattle

Re: add-ons not working / more details

Post by TheMasterOfBattle »

Not all the add-ons are campaigns, some are extra eras and mappacks. This is rectified for 1.6.x when it comes out as the add-ons are labels according to the type of add-on they are

Also, make sure you reload Wesnoth as it needs to refresh the cache before using new add-ons.

And era changes the factions you are able to use, or uses completely new ones.

When clicking add-ons, you can click remove add-ons and you see the entire list of add-ons you have.

As for the last part of you post, I am not sure if 1.6.x has implemented that.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

There's a very important difference between downloading and loading an add-on, too.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

If you are looking for just campaigns for either 1.4 or 1.5, click on the link in my signature. It will give you a list so that you can tell if what you are downloading is a campaign or not.

As to the whole idea of labels, that has already been added in the 1.5 branch. Along with that, there is now a button you can click to update add-ons.

As for getting a description of what an add-on is before you download it, that is something that can be easily seen on the web page for the add-ons. If you go here and hover over the icon to the left of each add-on, it will give you a description providing detail on whatever it contains (maps, campaigns, eras).
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

This should be moved to Technical Support.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Eh, it is fine here, mainly because it is not really a technical problem or issue with the game itself, but a user error. Some of these come up in Technical Support, some in User's Forum (there is one further down on this page). I leave them in both places on the off chance that before someone starts a whole new thread, they will catch sight of the other thread titled "Add-ons not working" "Campaigns broken" "Need add-on help" and think to read it as it might relate to their problem.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
salsaman

Post by salsaman »

Good to see some of these issues are being/have been tackled.

I guess the main problem is when a campaign requires a certain era (or eras). It would be good to enforce a rule that every campaign description should list the era(s) it requires, otherwise the user is left guessing and with a bad impression of Wesnoth.
JW

Post by JW »

salsaman wrote:Good to see some of these issues are being/have been tackled.

I guess the main problem is when a campaign requires a certain era (or eras). It would be good to enforce a rule that every campaign description should list the era(s) it requires, otherwise the user is left guessing and with a bad impression of Wesnoth.
I believe if you read the campaign descriptions of those that require other eras, they do in fact tell you to have the era or else you cannot play.

If you can provide an example of one that does not I'm sure the maintainer will have that changed.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

JW wrote:I believe if you read the campaign descriptions of those that require other eras, they do in fact tell you to have the era or else you cannot play.

If you can provide an example of one that does not I'm sure the maintainer will have that changed.
This is a very valid point, and if a player is going to form a bad impression of Wesnoth based on the fact that an author who no one has control over did not bother to point out that his campaign is dependent on a certain era... well, there is not much we can do about that. Not to mention, as JW pointed out, such instances are the rare exception rather than the rule.
salsaman

Post by salsaman »

Pretty much none of them mention which eras they require.

For example, I have the following add-ons installed, none of which work:

- a New Land
- Dark Siege
- Power Rangers
- destiny isle

None of these mention anything about requiring new eras. Nothing appears in the dialogs as to why they dont work, so I am left guessing.

I tried installing era of magic and era of myths to no avail.

Surely you can see how frustrating it is when a user installs 4 add-ons in a row, and none of them function ?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

salsaman wrote:Surely you can see how frustrating it is when a user installs 4 add-ons in a row, and none of them function ?
Turuk wrote:If you are looking for just campaigns for either 1.4 or 1.5, click on the link in my signature. It will give you a list so that you can tell if what you are downloading is a campaign or not.

- a New Land --Found in MP, not a campaign
- Dark Siege --Found in MP, not a campaign
- Power Rangers --Found in MP, not a campaign
- destiny isle --Found in MP, not a campaign

I do not see how it is frustrating when you have not taken the advice given to you by others in this thread.
salsaman

Post by salsaman »

I guess if I was using the 1.6 version of Wesnoth then these would have been marked as multiplayer, right ?

Other than that, I don't see what specific advice I should have followed.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

salsaman wrote:I guess if I was using the 1.6 version of Wesnoth then these would have been marked as multiplayer, right ?
Yes, as mentioned above, the 1.5 developmental branch uses type to identify what an add-on is.

salsaman wrote:Other than that, I don't see what specific advice I should have followed.
Turuk wrote:
Turuk wrote: If you are looking for just campaigns for either 1.4 or 1.5, click on the link in my signature. It will give you a list so that you can tell if what you are downloading is a campaign or not.
List Of Campaigns