"administrato" behavior

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kollok

"administrato" behavior

Post by kollok »

Hi there,
i recently ran in this guy called nov4 who claimed himself "administrator". He snubed somebody for spamming (dont get me wrong, i don't like spammers either, but the way he did it was somewhat agressive) and because of my peaceful nature i wrote "relax nov4, we are here to have some fun!".
For some reason this must have hurt him. I remember him saying that i should not dare to interfere (which i definitely didn't do) and i should not argue with an administrator.
I do support serverrules and code of conduct - i do know that there have to be administrators to maintain the channel/game - but i don't understand that those people utilize their power to threaten players just because they are in a bad mood.
If nov4 is available he might add a line to this, that would be appreciated.

P.s. the main reason i started this topic is not a ruffled ego; I had a chat with a newb and he told me that he had suffered a snub by an administrator (reason unknown); I think Wesnoth could use some new players, lets try not to dislodge them :mrgreen:
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Re: "administrato" behavior

Post by Thrawn »

I think you mean Noy4, not Nov. He's blunt, but from what I know about him, he's simply blunt all the time. And not to be rude, but just something mt parents told me all the time: If you're in the wrong, you aren't allowed to complain about how you are being treated about it.I understand maybe it came across as harsh, but that's my take at the situation.

Also, the better way to get involved would be to chat with him in private, either through /msg command; or better, through PMs here; and best of all, bring it up on IRC, in the #wesnoth-mp channel. Even if you were to talk to him openly in the lobby, try being a bit politer. Simply saying chill out or the like is quite commanding, it would be like telling a teacher to shut up when he was lecturing a student who did something wrong.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Radament

Post by Radament »

Thrawn wrote:If you're in the wrong, you aren't allowed to complain about how you are being treated about it.
I strongly disagree. Even if wrong, i think everyone deserves to be treated with a basic level of respect and decency - including whelp-spamming rocklobbers. With Noy it's probably the countless encounters with ignorant newbies who fail to realize the work behind Wesnoth what make him so blunt/rude/aggressive.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Radament wrote:I strongly disagree. Even if wrong, i think everyone deserves to be treated with a basic level of respect and decency - including whelp-spamming rocklobbers. With Noy it's probably the countless encounters with ignorant newbies who fail to realize the work behind Wesnoth what make him so blunt/rude/aggressive.
That and the fact that we are all people too. We have different personalities, different outlooks, and deal with situations in different ways.

Noy was handling an issue with someone other than Kollok, and could easily construe Kollok's comment as unnecessary. His response may have been blunt, but there are only a handful of server administrators who must deal with the countless incidents of MP users causing problems, so as you noted, I am sure patience is not always easy to dredge up.

Not to mention, telling someone to relax is not exactly decent, as you are presuming to tell another person what to do. If you passed a man on the street who was yelling obscenities and when the cop who tries to control him yells at him, would you tell the cop to relax? To chill out? How do you think he would react?
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Maybe instead of telling Noy to relax, you should help him to relax. ;)

You can help him relax by just enjoying the MP server in a way that is consistent with our guidelines and letting the "administratos" do their job without being second-guessed on every decision.

Or help him relax by send him a hammock and a bottle of wine maybe. :lol2:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
faring

Post by faring »

I would not be able to relax if some guy from the internet found out my address and started sending me wine :P
JW

Post by JW »

faring wrote:I would not be able to relax if some guy from the internet found out my address and started sending me wine :P
HAahaha....this guys wins the thread. :lol2:
TheMasterOfBattle

Post by TheMasterOfBattle »

JW wrote:
faring wrote:I would not be able to relax if some guy from the internet found out my address and started sending me wine :P
HAahaha....this guys wins the thread. :lol2:
Indeed, it is an astronomically epic win. :lol2:
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Turuk wrote:
Radament wrote: Noy was handling an issue with someone other than Kollok, and could easily construe Kollok's comment as unnecessary. His response may have been blunt, but there are only a handful of server administrators who must deal with the countless incidents of MP users causing problems, so as you noted, I am sure patience is not always easy to dredge up.
To be honest, all the problems I've encountered on the server have been solved by just telling people to cut it out, even though they don't know whether I'm an admin or not... but I've a much different personality from Noy...

Also, faring--that's because they didn't send a hammock along. Just wine would be creepy, as you say =P
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Well when a spammer (not even a normal spammer just one making lines of:)
dfsdfs
sdfwerew
sdfds
qwerew
dsfds

... I think his or her behaviour is somewhat inexcusable, and shouldn't be tolerated on the server if they continue. In this case I simply told the person "Stop spamming on the server please."

In all honesty Kol, your response was completely unnecessary and deserved my reply. Telling me to relax directly questions my moderating decisions, or anybody who is trying to make the server a better place. If you wanted to be "helpful" you could have quietly told the guy to stop spamming yourself. Instead you simply supported the other person's inexcusable behaviour in a public matter.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
Edguy_Forever

Post by Edguy_Forever »

You guys have side stepped the obvious conclusion....Noy has a dopple ganger named Nov4, sent from bizzaro world to destroy his life. step one, tarnish his name, step two, substitute all of Noy's Cd's with Cindy Lauper and Kenny Loggins Albums. and Finally, steal all of his pie!!!

But in all seriousness, yeah Noy is abrasive, but I have never seen him abuse his power, or use it when it is not warranted and I don't think the two should be mistaken. Maybe we should make a sticky: Rules before complaining about Noy:
1. First stop being an idiot spammer/ a waste of server space
2.If you are not one of the above, let Noy do his job
3.If you catch Noy punching kittens, you may complain at your leisure.
TheMasterOfBattle

Post by TheMasterOfBattle »

Edguy_Forever wrote:You guys have side stepped the obvious conclusion....Noy has a dopple ganger named Nov4, sent from bizzaro world to destroy his life. step one, tarnish his name, step two, substitute all of Noy's Cd's with Cindy Lauper and Kenny Loggins Albums. and Finally, steal all of his pie!!!

But in all seriousness, yeah Noy is abrasive, but I have never seen him abuse his power, or use it when it is not warranted and I don't think the two should be mistaken. Maybe we should make a sticky: Rules before complaining about Noy:
1. First stop being an idiot spammer/ a waste of server space
2.If you are not one of the above, let Noy do his job
3.If you catch Noy punching kittens, you may complain at your leisure.
That post wins. :lol2:
ShikadiQueen

Post by ShikadiQueen »

Noy wrote:not even a normal spammer just one making lines of:
dfsdfs
sdfwerew
sdfds
qwerew
dsfds
No drug offers? Aww... :cry:
I got better!
Vainglorious

Post by Vainglorious »

This thread's a bit awkward, isn't it?

I can't say I fault Noy for being aggressive or stern with someone spamming gibberish, regardless of the circumstances. I'd do the same or worse in his shoes.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. " — Nietzsche
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

Noy wrote:Well when a spammer (not even a normal spammer just one making lines of:)
dfsdfs
sdfwerew
sdfds
qwerew
dsfds
Maybe he's simply one of those guys who post in this manner:

'lol ugot pwnn lolololllo iam so win!!!!!!!!!!!1'

It's sometimes a bit impossible to distinguish the two though :wink:
JW's Wesnoth personality quiz wrote:You are a Skeleton: a lifeless animation of bone controlled by a necromancer. See a therapist.
:augh: