Berserk limit

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Berserk limit

Post by Velensk »

Just a quick question; IIRC berserk has a 30,000 set limit. Is this correct?

I'm asking because I may have given false information to someone just a moment ago, and I'd like to know if that's the case.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Berserk limit

Post by anakayub »

I think it's 20 rounds of combat, or 80 hits.
Take a breath.
cobra

Post by cobra »

It is 30 rounds of combat or until one combatants are dead.
Thank you President Bush
Ask not what wesnoth can do for you, but what you can do for wesnoth.-cobra
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The [berserk] special has a key (named 'value') that specifies the maximum allotted rounds of combat. The default (which is also specified in WEAPON_SPECIAL_BERSERK) is 30. (so, yes, cobra was right)
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

:shock:
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Orbivm ||| The Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

I must be aging. :wink:
Take a breath.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

So what chance does a Dark Adept have against a Berserker? What if the Dark Adept is strong and resilient, and the Berserker is slowed?
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

I haven't seen one adept that has survived an attack from a berserker. Even if he is strong and resilient and the berserker is slowed, the 30 rounds times the 4 hits in each round with 2 damage per hits which would make it 120 hits with a total damage of 240 for the Ulfserker and 360 or 480 for the Berserker (depending on how to round it off)

As there becomes more hits, the general rate of a success hit is more accurate towards what it is specified. Similar to rolling a dice, the more rolls you have, the more even the outcome will be. In this case, regardless of what dodge rate the adept has, he will likely be hit at least 20 times out of the 120, more than enough for a sure kill.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
cobra

Post by cobra »

anakayub wrote:I must be aging. :wink:
No, I was just looking at that trait the day before.
Thank you President Bush
Ask not what wesnoth can do for you, but what you can do for wesnoth.-cobra
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

I don't have my wesnoth with me at the moment (I'm not at home for 5 weeks), so i can't check the stats, but i will try to answer based on these info (which i hope are accurate 8) ) :

HP of Adept: 28
Attack of Berserker: 7-4 blade.
Resistance of Adept against blade: 0%

Let's assume the adept has 40% dodge (flat terrain). The adept can be hit a maximum of 3 times without dying, and the berserker gets 120 chances to hit.

I calculated that the chance of the adept surviving is approximately 7.253555 * 10^-15 (zerker hits 0, 1, 2 or 3 times)

Now let's see the most favourable condition for the adept

HP of Strong + Resilient Adept: 33
Attack of Slowed Berserker: 4-4 blade.
Resistance of Adept against blade: 0%
Dodge: 60% (castle)

The adept can put up with a maximum of 8 attacks. I daresay the chances of 8 hits is far more than the chance of 7 hits, and so on (i realised that during the previous calculation). So let's just look at now much chance it has of getting exactly 8 hits.

I got 0.0047 though it's prolly inaccurate or wrong. Meh. (i'm surprised at how high it is)

Now multiply by the odds of a slowed zerker meeting a strong resilient full HP adept on a castile tile. :wink: If the adept just got recruited also take into account the odds of someone recruiting an adept next to a zerker. :wink:

I actually didn't know how to do the problem since i never liked probability, though i made a (hopefully) logical guess at a correct (albeit long-winded) method :/ Anyone here want to correct me I'm open to learning :wink:
JW's Wesnoth personality quiz wrote:You are a Skeleton: a lifeless animation of bone controlled by a necromancer. See a therapist.
:augh:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Why assume a berserker, when an ulfserker would be a whole lot more favourable to the adept?
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

Glowing Fish wrote:So what chance does a Dark Adept have against a Berserker? What if the Dark Adept is strong and resilient, and the Berserker is slowed?
JW's Wesnoth personality quiz wrote:You are a Skeleton: a lifeless animation of bone controlled by a necromancer. See a therapist.
:augh:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

LemonTea wrote:
Glowing Fish wrote:So what chance does a Dark Adept have against a Berserker? What if the Dark Adept is strong and resilient, and the Berserker is slowed?
Exactly.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Oh, I guess I should have said against an Ulfserker. Against a slowed Ulfserker, it seems like something that could conceivably happen.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Actually, Adept v slowed Ulfzerker seems fairly unlikely, actually, since nothing the Undead can wield has Slows... You'd have to have a Rebel or Northerner ally who slowed the ulf at the right time for it to work.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.