Art Theft!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mica

Re: Art Theft!

Post by Mica »

Well, they're in a very clear violation. Perhaps we could ask those that work for the FSF on reported violations for help on how to act?
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
appleide

Post by appleide »

If the copyright holders ask FSF I think they can give some sound advice other than "There's nothing you can do".
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html wrote:The FSF acts on all GPL violations reported on FSF copyrighted code, and we offer assistance to any other copyright holder who wishes to do the same.
But, we cannot act on our own if we do not hold copyright. Thus, be sure to find out who the copyright holders of the software are before reporting a violation.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

However, maaaybe the first thing to would to actually contact those guys and tell them they're using our art unappropriately. Maybe they could even stop doing that if someone told them that they don't have the legal rights to do what they're doing.

I mean, looking at the site it seems fairly obvious they aren't people who you'd expect to know much about licensing or copyrights.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Hmmm I think it would be Jetryl's right to do that, because he's made most sprites, right? Anyway, there's so many sites doing that, I think it's quite hard to find all, or is it? (Sorry I may sound a bit noobish but well...)
Check out my sprites!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Indeed, first port of call in a case like this is probably a polite email to the site owner letting them know that they're in the wrong. Followed, if it fails, by a cease and desist type letter. Failing that, there's not a lot to be done - it simply wouldn't be worth a court's time...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Psycho14

Post by Psycho14 »

wow! it seems my message has made quite a fuzzy buzz! don't know if i should be happy or sad :lol2:
"You tricked me, Merlin!"
"Come come, Uther. I'm a wizard, that's my business"
Mica

Post by Mica »

We should have it translated to the language they speak [I don't know what language it is, if I took a wild stab in the dark I'd say Romanian?] so that even -they- can understand it xD.

I think it should be Dave -and- Jetryl, seeing as Dave is the leader of the entire project, and Jetryl is the leader of the art areas.
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Who cares about such things. :|
Psycho14

Post by Psycho14 »

Who cares about such things.
ok tomsik. When u paint something and put it at an exhibition where someone claims it's yours while you are out of the country, remind me to not care about such things.

also, this weekend (i don't think i can any sooner) i might be able to help you with the translation?
yes, it's romanian :P native language and all... u know :P
"You tricked me, Merlin!"
"Come come, Uther. I'm a wizard, that's my business"
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Psycho14 wrote:When u paint something and put it at an exhibition where someone claims it's yours while you are out of the country
1. It was not put in an exhibition, but a opensource game.
2. They didn't claim it was theirs, just used it.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Tomsik wrote:2. They didn't claim it was theirs, just used it.
I believe someone said they did, which is (a big part of) the problem.
JW

Post by JW »

I'm just curious: if someone were selling something Wesnoth, like that guy selling CDs on eBay a while ago, and did not give credit to the project, would anybody actually do anything about it?

If you're wondering why I ask it's because I have a little business venture planned.... :roll:
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

JW wrote:I'm just curious: if someone were selling something Wesnoth, like that guy selling CDs on eBay a while ago, and did not give credit to the project, would anybody actually do anything about it?
Why would anyone? Selling Wesnoth on CD's isn't illegal.

If they were actually violating the GPL in some way, we'd probably send them some nasty emails and ask them to stop.

If it actually looked like someone was making serious money out of it, then we'd probably get serious and look into going after them with lawyers.

This whole enforcement thing isn't really a "GPL problem" so much as it's a "copyright problem". Anyone who creates copyrighted materials that have artistic value are likely to find their materials used in an infringing way at some stage or another. Most violations will be petty enough that the energy used to stop them probably won't be worth it. If any of the violators become a large enough target though, you can usually go after them.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
JW

Post by JW »

Dave wrote:
JW wrote:I'm just curious: if someone were selling something Wesnoth, like that guy selling CDs on eBay a while ago, and did not give credit to the project, would anybody actually do anything about it?
Why would anyone? Selling Wesnoth on CD's isn't illegal.

David
I wonder if you missed the underlined portion of my question as you didn't mention it.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

JW wrote:
Dave wrote:Why would anyone? Selling Wesnoth on CD's isn't illegal.

David
I wonder if you missed the underlined portion of my question as you didn't mention it.
No, I didn't miss it, it was just unclear, and sounded like you thought they are obliged to do something they're not.

They don't have to say anything like "this game was made by the Wesnoth team at http://www.wesnoth.org". They do have to license it under the GPL, they do have to offer or include copies of the source, and the copies of the source have to have the copyright notices intact.

If they don't include or offer copies of the source or strip or alter the copyright notices unduly, then they are in violation, but I'm doubtful anyone did that.

Also, realistically, if someone sold Wesnoth CD's, and then when asked for the source said "oh yeah, you can get it at http://www.wesnoth.org", that'd probably be fine too. (Unless they had modified the game).

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming