why no weapons

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Limabean

why no weapons

Post by Limabean »

I've always wondered: why are the goblin riders in the wolf rider line completely un-armed? it seems that there only purpose is to point the wolves in the right direction, after that they're only baggage. I'm not proposing a change, I'm just curious. Was there a specific reason when wolf riders were first introduced? I'm only interested because I happen to think a goblin decapitating victims with a jagged scimitar from the back of a giant wolf is a lot cooler than the current version. :twisted:
Akkarin345

Re: why no weapons

Post by Akkarin345 »

Limabean wrote:I've always wondered: why are the goblin riders in the wolf rider line completely un-armed? it seems that there only purpose is to point the wolves in the right direction, after that they're only baggage. I'm not proposing a change, I'm just curious. Was there a specific reason when wolf riders were first introduced? I'm only interested because I happen to think a goblin decapitating victims with a jagged scimitar from the back of a giant wolf is a lot cooler than the current version. :twisted:
I know this is fantasy but some rules still have to apply. In real life what is cool and what is possible are two different things. Yes it would look cool. They don't really attack though if that makes sense. Their attacks are the claws and fangs of the wolf. To give him a scimitar and then him not use it would look wierd. The reason he probobly doesn't have a sword and another attack woudl most likely be balancing.
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

Yeah, going by the unit and race description, goblins aren't exactly the strongest creatures out there. I imagine they'd find it a bit difficult to balance and control their wolf properly while carrying a huge scimitar, let alone fight effectively enough to surpass the wolf's abilities.
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

yeah, I figured the reason was something like that. Thanks for the answer.
dontano

Post by dontano »

Maybe the only available attack for them is the Net, from the Pillager. If they have a sword, they would be like a Northerner version of the Loyalists' Cavalry, and that wouldn't make much sense...
Trust yourself first, then trust others.
Current activity/ies: what...!?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

If you want a realism rationale, then you could say that they can focus only on either controlling their mount or on wielding their own weapons. The goblin knight line focuses on directing the wolf to do the damage (which is probably higher than what the goblin could manage to inflict anyway, in melee) and thus don't have the time or skills left to wield their own weapons effectively, whereas the goblin pillager focuses on wielding weapons (torch and net) and thus don't have the time or skills left to direct the wolf itself to do something useful.