Why Do I Need To Compile?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LoveNeko

Why Do I Need To Compile?

Post by LoveNeko »

I'm still new to wesnoth.

just a simple question, why is compilation necessary?
AI
Developer

Re: Why Do I Need To Compile?

Post by AI »

It is not, but depending on the OS you're running, there may not be a binary ready for you yet, meaning you'll have to compile your own if you want to run the latest version.
LoveNeko

Post by LoveNeko »

AI wrote:It is not, but depending on the OS you're running, there may not be a binary ready for you yet, meaning you'll have to compile your own if you want to run the latest version.
oh oh. i have Mac Os X 10.4.11/tiger. how do i know if i need to compile?
i just downloadd BfW today.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Compiling is an option put into place for those people who know what compiling is and how to do it and why. So, about 1% of the people, I guess. :P

Whenever I've downloaded the game on a Mac or PC, it always works--no compiling necessary. Just pick the correct download for your computer's operating system and you're fine. I use the same OS as you and I didn't need to compile anything. I created a folder called Battle for Wesnoth in the Applications folder, then dragged all the downloaded stuff into it, and that's it.

I think it's confusing that the website locates the "source code" links above all the downloads, as if it's something you should do first. Personally, I would put the "source code" links it at that bottom with some text explaining what it is, so people can ignore it. I was likewise confused by it, at first.
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

To put it very simply, compiling turns the game from code (a long string of text, essentially, which cna be edited by those who know how) to program (which, when run, gives you the game experience you know and love). Or that's my understanding of it.

If you don't know what it is, or how to do it, don't worry. Most users as far as i can tell (myself included) are in the same boat. The Operating System specific downloads are pre-compiled for your convenience.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

3 main reasons to compile:

1) The official build wasn't out yet.
2) You want to optimize the build for your own system
3) You want to make changes and mess around with the code and see the results (for developers). Correct me on this if I'm wrong.

For normal people, it's just fine to just what the official compilers have provided. :)
Take a breath.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Okay this is a really really simple explanation:

If you use Windows or MacOSX, and you don't know what compiling is, you don't need to know. Just play the game and enjoy. You don't need to read any more of this post, either.

---

More technical explanation:

Compiling is the process of taking the game's human readable "source code" and turning it into a binary ready to run. It is useful to compile if you,

(1) use an operating system that does not have binaries available.
(2) want to help develop Wesnoth
(3) want to test the very very latest version (usually the version checked into SVN).

Compiling is actually generally much easier on Linux and other open OSes than on OSX or Windows. A very low percentage of users of OSX or Windows will ever compile Wesnoth.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming