Noobs keep getting Noobier!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

suvorov

Noobs keep getting Noobier!

Post by suvorov »

My new favorite noobism is this: People who talk about how much they hate noobs and how "expert" they are and then they do something silly like recruit all ulf bezerkers on their first turn.

anyhow... I like to make fun of people... so quick post a bunch of noobisms up here before the moderator comes and deletes all our fun!
It is good that war is terrible, lest we grow too fond.

-Robert E. Lee
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

A few months ago, I was playing Caves of the Basilisk (I wanted to play on Age of Heroes, but the other player said that was 'too noobish') and they asked me what all the statues were doing. Since he had proclaimed himself an old-timer at Wesnoth, I replied that they came alive and attacked random units. He believed me.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Well I had one recently however to credit him he was polite, and it may have just been inexperiance and he made no claims to greatness or anything like that. However it is not good when you have a partner who masses assassins against rebles.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Buying a single unit exclusively is probably the biggest sign that someone isn't experienced.

In Age of Heroes, the biggest sign is buying all Level 2 units.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Atlantis

ya

Post by Atlantis »

I seen a good 10 noobie things every day. But its always the best when someone claims to be pro and know everythign then they do the noobie stuff =).

Guy came in our survival sayin i beat this map bla bla bla then with a melee unit he gets a zerk and adds strikes. We tell him not a smart thing but the game goes on then he goes and shops a range zerk. well At this time lvl 3 mages are spawn'n and he gets owned with his 2 damage a hit lol.

I said that could be as stupid as anyone gets he called me a noob that he was gonna add strikes to it next turn. ...yawn jackasses
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

Atlantis wrote:I seen a good 10 noobie things every day. But its always the best when someone claims to be pro and know everythign then they do the noobie stuff =).
Not quite:

Sometimes when i am in a bad mood, i'd say "shut up! I'll beat all of you noobs!", not just in wesnoth, in other online games such as Stick Arena(it's a game mostly based on skills, unlike MMORPG which all you do is getting a high lvl and step on others like dirt)

I had the most fun because in 99%+ of the case i do what i've promised and beat the noobs fair and square. :wink:

That's why if you're very confident about something, do it, and don't be afraid of being called a noob, they'll get the other end of the sword when you beat them.
IB

Post by IB »

I was playing against this guy yesterday. He didn't miss me at all was like +50 on turn 4. Turn 5 he goes below ev for that turn and leaves. :lol:
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

People who use the word 'noob' or its variants often... are usually just that.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

90% of people I've seen using the word noob (or one of its million variants) are reasonably experienced players who use it just because it's deemed to be a funny and non-offensive taunt, a quick and easy way to give a friendly laugh to that guy who just got fragged because he was clumsy or did some other silly mistake. At which point the clumsy guy also shouts "U HAX" which isn't intended to be taken seriously either. I've rarely seen anyone calling other people noobs in any kind of a serious or insulting tone.

At least in all the online games I've played a lot in recent years (which admittedly equal to about, uh, two other games besides Wesnoth). Wesnoth MP probably occupies about 10% of my total MP time, so maybe it's different here.
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

Not like I don't make some dumb moves occasionally, but on SX Adventure some guy started with a Hound (EE RPG, blade, berserk, poison) and only bought 50 HP and a ton of melee damage (800g on mad mode). And then he goes and attacks with like 24-2 against a boss, which of course "wasted" his sorry rear. I wasn't happy about losing a player, but it was so funny to see.
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Check out Quietus's Minotaurs!
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Strangers vs friends scenario, I suppose.

Post by Kestenvarn »

zookeeper wrote:90% of people I've seen using the word noob (or one of its million variants) are reasonably experienced players who use it just because it's deemed to be a funny and non-offensive taunt, a quick and easy way to give a friendly laugh to that guy who just got fragged because he was clumsy or did some other silly mistake. At which point the clumsy guy also shouts "U HAX" which isn't intended to be taken seriously either. I've rarely seen anyone calling other people noobs in any kind of a serious or insulting tone.
I've had a different experience, then - the people I see use the word in an actual game are often arrogant jerks.
Clonkinator

Re: Strangers vs friends scenario, I suppose.

Post by Clonkinator »

Kestenvarn wrote:I've had a different experience, then - the people I see use the word in an actual game are often arrogant jerks.
Ah, I can prove that... It's... ...awful. I often got called a "f****** noob" in the past just because I beat the player who then said it... :evil:
Uprising
Location: The Northweastern Region, The Drums, A Library, or in Class

Re: Strangers vs friends scenario, I suppose.

Post by Uprising »

Clonkinator wrote:
Kestenvarn wrote:I've had a different experience, then - the people I see use the word in an actual game are often arrogant jerks.
Ah, I can prove that... It's... ...awful. I often got called a "f****** noob" in the past just because I beat the player who then said it... :evil:
That would be someone with either an extremly uncouth temper, or bad manners, or unkind, or selfish................
"History repeats itself do to what people do and do not learn."
--Mr. Anderson (A World History teacher)
Dveman115

Post by Dveman115 »

In wesnoth, I'm going to admit it...I'm fairly new o the game. The only games I play are with my friends, and they are noobs like me, so we just crank up th gold to 800 and enjoy a hour long game of massive armies and guys dying for no reason. I have to admit though, playing against computers with 400 gp when you have 800 is a lot of fun. You get to use the "run and gun" style of play :)
Faello

Post by Faello »

Glowing Fish wrote:A few months ago, I was playing Caves of the Basilisk (I wanted to play on Age of Heroes, but the other player said that was 'too noobish') and they asked me what all the statues were doing. Since he had proclaimed himself an old-timer at Wesnoth, I replied that they came alive and attacked random units. He believed me.
Iirc there was some scenario where stone statues came to live...

By the way, I've played this game 2,5 years already and I still don't know how to play majority of custom game types ( counting in survival ) - I'm just not interested in modifications of this game - I consider survival and civilization modes boring as hell, I don't know how to play them and I don't want to learn how to play them - still I'm winning approx 3/4 of games I play on mp and with fixed partner in 2vs2 ( my favourite mp matchup ) I've recently won 10 games in row.

So does it mean that I'm n00b because I don't know how to creep in Wesnoth in Diablo style survivor or what do these flowers in civlization mode do ? I doubt it :wink:
Dveman115 wrote:playing against computers with 400 gp when you have 800 is a lot of fun. You get to use the "run and gun" style of play :)
I've never played on such stats but I remember that my elves got slaughtered massively in HttT in the beginning because I always wanted to force a fight, get another kill, counted on luck, loaded & saved and in the end - finally when I lost all my pleasure from the game in the sp - I once again started HttT - this time with almost no loads and just learned how to play this game properly.

Now I eat 2 teamed cpu's armies, 2x125gp in the beginning against my 100gp during training regurarly :P
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.