Do it for everyone...

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JW

Do it for everyone...

Post by JW »

...what you post in these forums. The game creators have the mantra that they create the game based on their own preferences for themselves, and if other people like it, then that's a bonus. Well, for the forums I think this should be the opposite.

When I first came to the forums in late 2005 I thought that this was an incredible game that I wanted to contribute to. I wanted to contribute not only because I enjoyed the game and wanted it to expand, but also because I selfishly wanted recognition for creating something great. Well, my first experiment with the "Shifters" could either be deemed a success or a failure, depending on your perspective, so I set my sights higher: I would try to coordinate the creation of an entire era. Little did I know that such an undertaking would consume much of my free time, and even then I could only progress with the most generous help of dozens of Wesnoth players; I could only do so much myself. It was during this time that I felt that my efforts weren't resulting in much actual help to the community, seeing as the project was very unfinished and it didn't seem that a great number of people were playing it.

I decided then to do something that I knew people would appreciate. Something that there was a demand for, something that wasn't there - and something that I knew how to do:

-I wrote strategy guides.

I won't claim to have been the best player at the time I wrote those guides, but I was good, and I knew it. I had very logical analysis going into every move, and I could communicate the reasons for why I made each minute action each specific way if needed. I wrote down as much of my thinking as I could before I became massively burnt out with Wesnoth - which happened on several different occassions.

I tell you what though....even having become burnt out....even being proud of what others and I have accomplished creating the EoM....the "How to Play..." series still gives me the greatest amount of joy of all my Wesnoth accomplishments. It seems that every time I return after a break someone is asking me to finish the series as they have been so helpful to them, or merely thanking me for what I have finished. It really is a great feeling to know that the efforts I've made into helping others learn has been noticed and appreciated. It makes me happy. :)

The reason that I feel this way is because I did this for the benefit of everyone, not just myself. I did benefit some from going over each strategy and typing them out, but I already knew how I was playing. I wrote out my thought process so that others could hasten their learning of how to play Wesnoth, and thus hopefully increase their enjoyment, perhaps bringing more people to play. I didn't do it with the intent to receive praise or recognition, and I think that's the key.

I think if we all have this in the back of our minds when we work together on these boards then each of us will prosper and be happier ourselves.

So, do it for everyone. :wink:
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Here, here.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

*applauds*

Great post :)
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

quit whinning, shut up and finish the projects you start, you lazy goon! :P

you think Devin Hester stops running halfway across the field? no, he takes it to the house!

wb and cheers

..still waiting to get that beer next time you're downtown.

(anyway, we all know you just want to keep increasing your monster post count...when you can't win on the battlefield, you can always be a forum general instead of a field general)

;)
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
JW

Post by JW »

jb wrote:quit whinning, shut up and finish the projects you start, you lazy goon! :P

you think Devin Hester stops running halfway across the field? no, he takes it to the house!

wb and cheers

..still waiting to get that beer next time you're downtown.

(anyway, we all know you just want to keep increasing your monster post count...when you can't win on the battlefield, you can always be a forum general instead of a field general)

;)
HAH!!

I'm actually downtown quite often for school. In fact, just about every day I have class. 8)
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

Nice post, well said, and welcome back, you foo' :)
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -