Wesnoth comic

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What do you think of the comic (in general?)

OMG HILARIOUS! This comic is epic win! (5)
21%
Good job! It's a great comic. (4)
24%
It's pretty good. (3)
33%
Meh. (2)
14%
Your comic fails. (1)
No votes
Um...no. Just no. (0)
7%

Total votes: 42

Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

The idea is a really good one, actually.

Comic 1. is a little too classical. I'd award it this smiley : :) The real problem with is actually was that I didn't know in what order I had to read the bubbles in the second box (I first thought the leader's speech was first, and only realized later it was the mage's one). And perhaps you should have used more impressive units (lvl3 ones). It is a good first try, though, so it still is good.
Comic 2. I really found funny. I'd award it this one : :lol:
Comic 3. also is funny, but it's less obvious. It is the most "Wesnoth-ish", though. I'd also award it this smiley : :lol:
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Heh, cool. I wish I could go back and upgrade my vote now. (I went "Good, but not great" based on the first comic).
Jodwin

Post by Jodwin »

The first one lacks a sarcastic remark about how there is technically no morale in Wesnoth because it's not KISS. :P
Yes I use windows, too.
Yes I too am aware of what that means.
Yes I'm still gonna use windows too.
DDR

Post by DDR »

:lol:
elricz

Post by elricz »

The second one is pretty funny!
irrevenant wrote: Do you know how many zillions of fantasy jokes there are out there? It's not surprising the wheel gets reinvented sometimes.
OOTS is pretty good, nothing wrong on being inspired by it. Just didn't look an original idea to a fan of the series.
VS
Translator

Post by VS »

I remember two comics from ... uh, about two years back? Anyway, they still were on the server. And these are not my work, in case anyone wondered.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

The last one is funny as well. The graphics now are oudated, but that doesn't really matter.

Who did them, BTW? I can't remember them...
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Eleaza?
Aleskey?

Am I the only one who sees some similarity to Aleksi and Eleazar?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
baruk

Post by baruk »

Comic 3 suffers from the common Wesnoth forum affliction IOA.*

To help anyone else who reads it, FPI = frequently posted idea. Had to look that up.

Nice idea though.

*That is, Irritatigly Obscure Acronym.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

FPI isn't obscure for those of us who like the Ideas forum. I thought it was funny, especially since there are so many proposed lvl 4s.
Tonepoet

Post by Tonepoet »

FPI is hilarious Syntax. Just... simply hilarious.

The first joke is an idea that came to my mind too when thinking about the plague mechanic. I'm sure it's been done many times simply because it's the natural thing to think, which often makes the best sort of joke. Makes a nice starting point. It might've been easier to execute in 2x2 format, since you can swap back and forth between character sets, reducing the amount of confusion in speech but then perhaps the undead would have to be cut out, eliminating an important element to the joke.

For the one with the map, I sympathize with Konrad. A lot. The old man has really has no idea where he's going, does he? XD

Anyway, Wesnoth has a lot of potential for a sprite comic. There are just simply hundreds of characters with multiple poses, readily accessible and with the map editor you can make custom backgrounds, assuming you screen cap them. You could also make a campaign/scenario based upon a particularly successful comic to bring gameplay and hilarity into one. I hope to see more comics pop out of the woodworks eventually.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

baruk wrote:Comic 3 suffers from the common Wesnoth forum affliction IOA.*[...]
*That is, Irritatingly Obscure Acronym.
That's precisely what makes the joke work - it builds on a shared familiarity. Many of the best jokes are 'inside jokes' that are most meaningful to a particular group.

As an Ideas forum regular, I thought it was hilarious.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

irrevenant wrote:That's precisely what makes the joke work - it builds on a shared familiarity. Many of the best jokes are 'inside jokes' that are most meaningful to a particular group.

As an Ideas forum regular, I thought it was hilarious.
Yep, I thought the same. Now we just need a strip about IIRWIIR. :P
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
VS
Translator

Post by VS »

Now we just need a strip about IIRWIIR.
Yeah, preferably starring wesbot :)
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

A few other people (including me) made some sprite comics back in the day, too.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.