RTS, RPG or MMORPG

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Freighter

RTS, RPG or MMORPG

Post by Freighter »

i would have liked this to be a poll but i am not an essteemed member of this forum so i will just have to make do.

Which do you, as a player of wesnoth, think would be better playing with the main storyline and the storyline of the campaigns kept as intact as possible
  1. Wesnoth as an RTS
  2. Wesnoth as an RPG
  3. Wesnoth as an MMORPG
feedback will help me in my decision for a future project.

please answer in a number if possible.
Wesnoth Acronym Guide
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesnothAcronyms

This link is here for my own purposes. But feel free to use it.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Just as a hint from one developer to another: you do not want to make a MMORPG.

If you are a developer with 5+ years of experience in making single player RPGs that have been successful and played by thousands of people and you have a whole team of people with similiar experience, then I take back that last remark. Otherwise, it stands.

It is far far too difficult. There are just so many things that need to be done right: networking, scalability, the operational aspects of actually setting up the servers, setting up a community, securing your server against attackers, etc etc and so on and so forth.

A single player RPG on the other hand, would be cool.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

Ugh, according to wiki the only RTS that has something to do with games is real time strategy and Wesnoth definately is round based.
Freighter

Post by Freighter »

Dave wrote:Just as a hint from one developer to another: you do not want to make a MMORPG.

If you are a developer with 5+ years of experience in making single player RPGs that have been successful and played by thousands of people and you have a whole team of people with similiar experience, then I take back that last remark. Otherwise, it stands.

It is far far too difficult. There are just so many things that need to be done right: networking, scalability, the operational aspects of actually setting up the servers, setting up a community, securing your server against attackers, etc etc and so on and so forth.

A single player RPG on the other hand, would be cool.

David
Noted, thanks :D
Wesnoth Acronym Guide
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesnothAcronyms

This link is here for my own purposes. But feel free to use it.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I want Wesnoth the FPS!
Dr.War

Post by Dr.War »

CIB wrote:Ugh, according to wiki the only RTS that has something to do with games is real time strategy and Wesnoth definately is round based.
-.- that's not the issue here... He's considering making his own game, with the Wesnoth story, but a different style of gameplay. I think.
I Suppose RTS has some nice possibilities. RPG could be interesting as well, you could be a average joe soldier and work your way up, or something.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Since it obviously would be an entirely different kind of game, the question is basically: which games do you like the most, RTS, RPG or MMORPG?

I don't know. I like to play good games, not genres.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

The FPS thing was a joke, but it shouldn't really be. Mount & Blade is quite mod-able and I'm thinking a Wesnoth mod would be awesome.

Given enough time with artwork and unit development, it could contain almost everything from Wesnoth (except flying and water-based units, I think). It has already been modded to the point of having a few fantasy mods, including a LotR one and one based off undead.

The thought of a whole Wesnoth map with cities and territories belonging to different factions makes me want to try this myself...
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Wesnoth for racing game!
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

I give my vote to single player RPG
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Ken Oh wrote:The FPS thing was a joke, but it shouldn't really be. Mount & Blade is quite mod-able and I'm thinking a Wesnoth mod would be awesome.
Ugh, they still don't have the game available for Linux... and I couldn't get it to work under Wine... its probably not a great idea to spend your time on a mod that half the Wesnoth community won't be able to play.

My vote goes to FPS as well, however.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote:
Ken Oh wrote:The FPS thing was a joke, but it shouldn't really be. Mount & Blade is quite mod-able and I'm thinking a Wesnoth mod would be awesome.
Ugh, they still don't have the game available for Linux...
They don't look like they have it available for MacOSX either.

Windows-only is definltely not Wesnothish!
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

What about a Wesbowl Manager? Or perhaps a Gryphon Rider Flight Simulator? :wink:

I don't think it matters much whether the game is set in Wesnoth or not, it matters if you can put up a good UI and gameplay in the genre of your choice. Then it matters how the story and action meshes with the delivery.

How could anyone make predictions at this stage? (other than that implementing some forms of games is intrinsically more involved than others)
Last edited by Rhuvaen on June 18th, 2007, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Rhuvaen wrote: I don't think it matters much whether the game is set in Wesnoth or not, it matters if you can put up a good UI and gameplay in the genre of your choice. Then it matters how the story and action meshes with the delivery.
Yes, absolutely. I'd love to see another cool Free game, but being set in Wesnoth hardly matters.

In fact, there are some cool things about Wesnoth, but its setting is definitely not one of them. It's pretty much just generic fantasy. Concentrate on using the Wesnoth principles of development rather than making your game set in Wesnoth.

I suggest starting by trying to come up with a fun, simple concept that you think you can spend some time developing. There has to be something somewhat cool and unique about your concept, and "having the best graphics for a RTS ever" doesn't really qualify since it's not a realistic goal.

Also remember a concept does not have to be overly ambitious to make a fun game.

David
BloodIssyl

Post by BloodIssyl »

RTS would be interesting, except the whole unit balance of the game is based on turns, and so i would think the game would have to be changed quite a bit.

I want to see a sort of RPG in Wesnoth where you can join up as a group.
I know this has been done, but i want not just one campaign, but multiple towns to visit and multiple ways to go. (this would require crazy amounts of WML)

Wesnoth in terms of FPS would be interesting, but at this point, i would imagine it would take the most work and game altering than the other two.

I hate MMORPG's in general. They take crazy amounts of time and money to develop, leading you to pay 15 dollars a month to just GRIND. YAWN.