2 Leaders per player over the internet?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Helmet

2 Leaders per player over the internet?

Post by Helmet »

Me and my buddy play Wesnoth over the internet and wonder if this is possible: Could we each have 2 Leaders in a game?

We tested a couple roundabout ways of making it work, but neither experiment worked.

We want to play a BIG map of our own creation and think it would be nifty if we each controlled two factions. Or even THREE.

Any ideas for making this work?

If it's possible, please give a step-by-step.

Thanks,
Helmet
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Set up a game for let's say four players.

Distribute the player as follows in the game creation screen:
1 - Helmet
2 - Shield (just making up a name here :lol:)
3 - Computer
4 - Computer

When it's the host's turn (Helmet, probably), he types:

Code: Select all

:
control 3 Helmet
[return]
:
control 4 Shield
[return]
Those are control commands that you can use as a host (or for your side as a player) to give control to another player.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

You can run multiple instances of Wesnoth on one computer.....
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Dave wrote:You can run multiple instances of Wesnoth on one computer.....
I think Rhuvaen's solution is better as wesnoth eats quite some resources and it's impractical to have two wesnoths running.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Awesome!

Thanks!

:)
Helmet
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Bummer. The codes didn't work.

When my friend typed in, "control 4 Helmet" he got a message saying Helmet was now Player 4, but I didn't get the message and I couldn't control Player 4.

Yet when I looked at the game stats, it listed Helmet as player 2 and 4!

Also, after he gave me control of Player 4, I couldn't even move Player 2 any more. The game became disfunctional.

We're playing 1.2.1. Any tips on getting it to work? We tried it many times and it never worked.

Helmet
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Helmet wrote:Any tips on getting it to work? We tried it many times and it never worked.
It is sometimes hard to say what the problem is. This is the sort of thing that has had some problems in the past with timing (who's turn you give control on, etc.) and other issues. Personally, I haven't had (repeatable!) problems with it in 1.2.2, but there is still the occationsional glitch. Why don't you try logging on to the multiplayer server, and find someone who has done this before. With them in the game, they may be able to shed some light on any problems.

Good luck.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Imp

Post by Imp »

Are you playing on the multiplayer server or through "Network Game"? I have had similar problems with the Network Game path that I'd posted about a few months ago.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

We play via the "Join official server" option. He clicks "Create Game" and then I join his game.

We just installed 1.2.2 and it did the same thing as before. :(

I play with the Mac version and he plays with the Windows version. Could that be the culprit behind the problem? Different platforms?

Helmet