Newbe saying hi

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

neskind

Newbe saying hi

Post by neskind »

Thanx for this wonderful free game thats better than most comercial games. I just upgraded from 1.0.2 to 1.1.11 and i sorta like it but for some concens.

1- I cant play multiplayer at all it must be a addon i downloaded post 1.1.11 since i deleted the old wesnoth folder.

2- Ghosts seem to have the drain ability now. Considering that they are 1st level creatures you can buy straight out of the keep in multiplayer and already have good resistances it seems too powerfull.And dont get me started on the upgraded slow ability.

3- What happened to autosave. saving at the start of the next round is not a true autosave and doesnt help when the enemy on its turn kills your mage of light with some very lucky attack rolls. sorry if this is a old subject
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

hi there.

Normally I'm the guy who comes in to bite's someone's head off, but today I'm feeling nice.

#1 I don't even know what you're asking here, sorry. You should note that old save games are uncompatable with the version primarily because the unit stats change.
#2 Prior to the change the ghost was found to be anemic. It was easily killed and not worth the price. There have been very few complaints about the change since and we are generally happy with it. I encourage you to play the game more before making any snap judgements
#3. There has been a major discussion about this already, you might want to use the search function before you post.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Re: Newbe saying hi

Post by Rhuvaen »

neskind wrote:I just upgraded from 1.0.2 to 1.1.11
Make sure you completely rid your system of the old files - the ones in the path where the game resides and the ones for your userdata (saves, downloaded campaigns and so on). You wouldn't be able to use any of that in the new version anyway, and it can cause a lot of trouble.

In other words, make sure your install is entirely clean. :)
JW

Post by JW »

Welcome to Wesnoth.

You made a very good decision in switching to 1.1.11.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

For the most part, I am happy with L1 ghosts getting drain, but I think there are a few rare and unusual situations against Northerners where it is overpowered. Maybe we'll get a goblin torch thrower or something one of these days if I can convince the MP Devs. :wink:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
mrchadt

Post by mrchadt »

hello and welcome.
i too had concerns about the ghost, but in game play they are not unkillable, the faction that i think has most trouble with them is the knalgans, during the day a ulf has good chances. northerners have fire archers which deal with them well. as a faction the undead are well balanced, where as in the previous version i think they struggled.
no obligation
neskind

yes those damm ghosts

Post by neskind »

I had trouble in this Campaign called Northen rebirth or somthing like that
The only units i coud recuit were thugs, poachers ,dwarves and peasants. That and we were undergrond with 5 undead sides i think against my 1 and 90% of the villages behind enemy lines, in other words riddiculous. And dont get me started on how powerful the the new goblin raiders were in the previous senario were. Proably most powerfull 2nd level troop except for those skirmish lizards.
Oreb

Re: yes those damm ghosts

Post by Oreb »

neskind wrote:I had trouble in this Campaign called Northen rebirth or somthing like that
The only units i coud recuit were thugs, poachers ,dwarves and peasants. That and we were undergrond with 5 undead sides i think against my 1 and 90% of the villages behind enemy lines, in other words riddiculous. And dont get me started on how powerful the the new goblin raiders were in the previous senario were. Proably most powerfull 2nd level troop except for those skirmish lizards.
I'd take that up with Taurus.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Re: yes those damm ghosts

Post by Rhuvaen »

neskind wrote:I had trouble in [...] Northen rebirth [...]
The only units i coud recuit were thugs, poachers ,dwarves and peasants.
You ever heard about "recall"? :wink:
neskind

ever heard of recall

Post by neskind »

Yes i heard of recall but recalling advanced versinons of thugs, poachers and peasents,(You only get access to stuntys recently) only delays your death against the computer who has nearly all the villages on his side 8 turns at least from you and waves of enemys that would put Septer of fire senario to shame. Ohh well enough complaining.Thanx for the advice :D .
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: ever heard of recall

Post by freim »

neskind wrote:Yes i heard of recall but recalling advanced versinons of thugs, poachers and peasents,(You only get access to stuntys recently) only delays your death against the computer who has nearly all the villages on his side 8 turns at least from you and waves of enemys that would put Septer of fire senario to shame. Ohh well enough complaining.Thanx for the advice :D .
To me it seems like the problems lies with Northen rebirth, not with general unit balance. From what I recall from that campaign it was horribly frustrating.
jg

Post by jg »

I have to say I liked the Northern Rebirth actually (but that is a side-note).

What I wanted to say is that ghosts are not overpowered. They are quite nicely balanced and since they have low HP, are not too hard to kill after all. Play some multiplayer games, against the AI perhaps, and you'll see it is not that hard after all...

jg

P.S: A warm welcome! :)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

jg wrote:What I wanted to say is that ghosts are not overpowered. They are quite nicely balanced and since they have low HP, are not too hard to kill after all. Play some multiplayer games, against the AI perhaps, and you'll see it is not that hard after all...
Yeah, every default era faction has something which can be used to kill ghosts well - the only ones that might have trouble are northerners and knalgans. They have to rely on orcish archers (with just two fire arrow swings, the ghost can sometimes survive even two archers for a few turns), thunderers (also unreliable) and ulfserkers (only during the day, and even then the ulf will probably take a reasonable amount of damage). All other factions, though, have units that can easily deal with ghosts. Magi (loyalists and rebels) and burners (drakes) fry ghosts easily, and in an undead vs undead match you don't have to worry about drain.