Wesnoth Newsletter

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PsychoticMuffin

Wesnoth Newsletter

Post by PsychoticMuffin »

It would be awesome if someone would make a weekly Wesnoth newsletter or RSS feed or something. Like you could give technique tips, talk about new campaigns/multiplayer scenarios/maps, recent changes, and stuff like that.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

There have been several different quotes by various wise/famous people throughout history that can be summed up as "If you want something done, do it yourself." I think they may have been on to something.
P.S. Good luck in writing it!
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Heh, when doing an assignment I made an article on wesnoth, spread wesnoth!
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Why does this proposed newsletter sound surprisingly like the forums we browse now?
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Dragon Master wrote:Why does this proposed newsletter sound surprisingly like the forums we browse now?
Both don't have RSS feed?. I don't know, beats me.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

If anything is to be done, someone has to start doing it. It seems like a great idea, but someone must volunteer to write articles.

As a reader, I would prefer an RSS feed with only a few important announces. I want to spend less times reading Wesnoth forum, but I would like to be informed when something important happens. "Important" means: major change in game, a new game tool, etc... maybe a monthly digest about what happened. (And exactly because I want to spend less time on the forum, I cannot volunteer for this.)
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

Viliam wrote: As a reader, I would prefer an RSS feed with only a few important announces.
Well, we do have the News on the front page of wesnoth.org. Maybe an RSS feed could be created for that, at least as a first step.

(Note: I'd volunteer, but I'm insufficiently motivated, not to mention skilled.)
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
PsychoticMuffin

An RSS for the news on the front page would be okay I guess. But I am talking more about sending like a weekly RSS with all the cool stuff happening, not just major game updates. Like new maps & scenarios and stuff. Also maybe news on new art and factions, some tips on how to play the game, stuff like that.
jg

Post by jg »

You seem to know exactly how it is supposed to be... DiT (do it yourself) :wink:

jg
PsychoticMuffin

No, I don't really know exactly how it should be, I am listing stuff that I think that I would want in a Wesnoth newsletter. I would really be fine with anything for a Wesnoth newsletter.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

Well, anyone can make a Wesnoth blog, and advertize its RSS here. Preferably on some software which supports collaborative blogging, such as blogspot.

It can be done independently on Wesnoth developers.
db0

Post by db0 »

Viliam wrote:Well, anyone can make a Wesnoth blog, and advertize its RSS here. Preferably on some software which supports collaborative blogging, such as blogspot.

It can be done independently on Wesnoth developers.
Here is a proof of concept. Please comment. Read the first post to see how I envision it.

Unfortunately my hosting service seems to currently be having some bandwidth issues so if you cannot check it out now, try later

The basic idea is to have it run itself. Anyone can join and start writing, subjects can then be organised according to tags and categories. Anyone who joins also gets a gallery album which they can use to upload artwork from wesnoth and organise it as they think best.

Comments, Ideas & life threats welcome :D
Lim_Arcadia

Post by Lim_Arcadia »

Where oh Where oh GOD where have I heard this before? Could it be this?:

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/The_Observer

:roll:
"The ability to speak does not make you intelegent." - Qui-Gon Jinn
Kestenvarn wrote:This is not a faction.
This is not even trying to be a faction.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

As I said when the Observer began, it makes much more sense to run something like this as a blog than as a wiki.

Anyway, as soon as db0's site comes back up I'll check it out and perhaps look into contributing.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
db0

Post by db0 »

Hello Lim, I had no idea that the observer existed, however there is no reason both a blog and a newsletter can't coexist. They serve different purposes afterall ;)