quirks

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

original_ninja

quirks

Post by original_ninja »

any funny stuff, or anything odd that you may have encountered in game....
Last edited by original_ninja on April 24th, 2006, 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

I don't understand, what? Malshitt, if you find that funny that's just immature.
original_ninja

re:

Post by original_ninja »

i apologize, i was just trying to start things off..........
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I was just playing the South Guard campaign on the 2nd to last board (in that big cave) when one of those Trolls charged me. The dialogue started where I offered them peace through payment, but then the Troll took 3 swings at me (along wih 30 hp). He was my ally though so I couldn't fight back. After that, everything was fine.
original_ninja

Post by original_ninja »

a one-time glitch then? ever tried to recreate it?
jg

Post by jg »

I posted this into another thread once, but.... I had an Elvish Avenger which was low on HP. An Orcish Assasin comes and attacks me with his melee attack. He hits, though he has only 40 % chance to hit me. Luckily, I had saved it before, and loaded it again. The orcish assasin hit again. And again. And again. Alltogether, there were more than 15 hits, consecutively! On the 16th or 17th hit did he only miss.

I know that is called cheating, but sometimes one just has to do it.. :wink:

jg
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

jg wrote:I posted this into another thread once, but.... I had an Elvish Avenger which was low on HP. An Orcish Assasin comes and attacks me with his melee attack. He hits, though he has only 40 % chance to hit me. Luckily, I had saved it before, and loaded it again. The orcish assasin hit again. And again. And again. Alltogether, there were more than 15 hits, consecutively! On the 16th or 17th hit did he only miss.
That's funny, since I've often noticed too that orcish assassins basically always hit with their melee - not always, but way more often than they should.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Ken Oh wrote:I was just playing the South Guard campaign on the 2nd to last board (in that big cave) when one of those Trolls charged me. The dialogue started where I offered them peace through payment, but then the Troll took 3 swings at me (along wih 30 hp). He was my ally though so I couldn't fight back. After that, everything was fine.
Definitely not one time - happened to me too. I really ought to mention this to someone who cares enough to code the best...
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

jg wrote:I posted this into another thread once, but.... I had an Elvish Avenger which was low on HP. An Orcish Assasin comes and attacks me with his melee attack. He hits, though he has only 40 % chance to hit me. Luckily, I had saved it before, and loaded it again. The orcish assasin hit again. And again. And again. Alltogether, there were more than 15 hits, consecutively! On the 16th or 17th hit did he only miss.

I know that is called cheating, but sometimes one just has to do it.. :wink:

jg
If you just reload and not make any changes the "random seed" remains always the same after each loading so you will get the smae output.

Moving another unit a bit or changing the order of attacks could break that.
jg

Post by jg »

fmunoz wrote: If you just reload and not make any changes the [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_seed]"random seed"[url] remains always the same after each loading so you will get the smae output.

Moving another unit a bit or changing the order of attacks could break that.
Ok, thanks for pointing that out. I already thought it was really like that... :wink:

jg
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Because a true ninja never misses. 8)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

fmunoz wrote: If you just reload and not make any changes the "random seed" remains always the same after each loading so you will get the smae output.
This is true for any computer game, because it is impossible to generate random numbers using only software. If you play many other turn-based strategy games, you will run into this "problem" again.

IMO, this is just one more reason to play without reloading when bad things happen, even if you have to play at an easier difficulty level.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

THAT IS COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY FALSE.

Reloading a savegame will not make the game give the same random numbers! I've seen several (intelligent) people state this "fact" on these forums, but it isn't true. I don't see what the confusion is.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
radoz
Art Contributor

Post by radoz »

Wintermute wrote:This is true for any computer game, because it is impossible to generate random numbers using only software.
Huh? Sorry, but of course it is possible to generate random numbers using nothing but software on a computer which are good enough for a strategy game (and many other things). Sure, (very) strictly speaking it is right to say that an algorithm actually generates pseudorandom numbers. However, even the results of a software random generator, who decides whether the orcish archer hits the dwarf or not, are complete un-predictable by you and me. Personally, I prefer this to having a notarially certified lottery machine attached to my computer starting a new cycle each time a fight begins :D
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't ...
UDD

Post by UDD »

You could argue that a software RNG does generate truly random numbers, because (well, most of the time) the results depend in some way on the current time, and you could argue that the specific time you click the mouse is random, and so the results are random.

On the other hand, you could argue that there is no such thing as "random". Even the result of throwing dice could theoretically be calculated thanks to the magic of physics (it will probably take insane calculatory power and uber-sensitive sensors though).

As for reloading for different outcomes:
It all depends on wether the game stores the random seed used to generate the random number when saving, or not.
Civ4 for example allows you to choose wether to store the random seed or not.
IIRC, wesnoth does not store the random seed, hence each reload will give varying "random" results.
~
When you turn your computer off, its called a "Shut Down".
Shouldn't turning your computer on be called a "Shut Up"?