Dragons in Wesnoth

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eternal
Art Contributor

Dragons in Wesnoth

Post by Eternal »

Questions... Questions...
Does Wesnoth need dragons?
Should there be many types of them? How many?

My personal opinion is that Wesnoth should have 3 types of dragons (one per alignment).
But what say you?
I wish I had more time in my hands.
Naeddyr

Post by Naeddyr »

Frankly, I don't give a damn.

Though I would have prefered a game without elves, dwarves and orcs, dragon do work well with them and other assorted E-Zcenario stuff.

Sidenotedly, you can see that even Wesnoth's setting follows programming philosophy... KISS, WINR and the principle of least surprise. :P

When I get annoyed with all the genericness, I'll just have to create my own era and campaigns. :) I already have a Uralic faction in mind - skilled in both inland water, forest and snow, hunters and shamanistic tribes, living their lives through half-year periods of both intense light and intense darkness, allied with the spirits of the forests and fjells, skiing, sailing and riding reindeer and mooses. :D
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Again... just wow.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
appleide

Re: Dragons in Wesnoth

Post by appleide »

Eternal wrote:Questions... Questions...
Does Wesnoth need dragons?
Should there be many types of them? How many?

My personal opinion is that Wesnoth should have 3 types of dragons (one per alignment).
But what say you?
You need to download the superheroes era.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

:cry: Please, do no such thing. (I have a deep hatred of all eras that are merely combinations of pre-existing factions. Don't ask.)

----

Anyway, my answer is:

Dragons are ancient, powerful beings, and rare, but they certainly exist. They are sentient, but they do not have morals, or ethics, and have no conception of organizing themselves. They are merely a species of lizard, albeit sentient and giant; and yet, they possess the mysterious art of firebreath - which Drakes have inherited, but even the Drakes don't really understand it. We don't know if the Dragons do, or how they got it.

So... multiple alignments of dragons would mean... what? Different types of dragons would be fine. There could be black dragons, red dragons, green dragons, gold dragons... just like there are different colors of wolves, or tigers. And their color might have something to do with the magic they possess. But beyond that, it seems a moot question.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Turin, there was the answer i was waiting for.
I completely agree:
Dragons ARE rare creatures. I was wondering that maybe there should be two or more types of them in Wesnoth. :)

I will make dragons if you want more of them.
If only those unit images could reach out to the upper hex, they could be more realistic in size... :cry:
Attachments
As sad as it is...
As sad as it is...
tiny dragon.png (5.69 KiB) Viewed 3360 times
I wish I had more time in my hands.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Eternal wrote:
I will make dragons if you want more of them.
If only those unit images could reach out to the upper hex, they could be more realistic in size... :cry:
See the signature. :(
TheLost1

Post by TheLost1 »

there's a differance between creepingly biggerising a human and wishing for a true dragn that is bigger than a yeti.
The dragons are all colour-coded,
Some consider this system outmoded.
This was not preordained
Gary Gygax explained,
"My box of Crayolas exploded."
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

TheLost1 wrote:there's a differance between creepingly biggerising a human and wishing for a true dragn that is bigger than a yeti.
What he meant was, it is unfortunate that the humans have been creeping biggerized, because that makes it much harder to make a realistic-sized dragon. If the human was smaller, the dragon wouldn't look so disproportionate even if it stayed the same size (which it has to, because that's the largest it can be). The old humans didn't even come up to the Grand Marshal's chin.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

I hope I'm not shot down when I say i made a dragon faction :) . *covers head from the oncoming tomatoes*
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Dragon Master wrote:I hope I'm not shot down when I say i made a dragon faction :) . *covers head from the oncoming tomatoes*
Well, uh, your dragon faction doesn't exist in the WoW, so, you won't be shot down, but... why are you posting this here?
The World of Orbivm
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

I was bored, so I searched the forums to see if anything remotely dragon-related had been proposed before