healing didn't work like i thought it would...

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

That should be semi-possible with the current [abilities] system - someone should check. ;)

[edit]
Well, actually, I just looked at the code in abilities.cfg:

Code: Select all

#define ABILITY_HEALS
	[heals]
		description=heals
		amount=4
		max=8
	[/heals]
#enddef

#define ABILITY_CURES
	[heals]
		description=cures
		amount=8
		max=18
	[/heals]
#enddef
And I fail to see why ABILITY_CURES would remove poison while ABILITY_HEALS would not. Was that hard-wired in or something?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Kestenvarn wrote:It might look more complicated, but it would allow faction creators more flexibility with their units than the current system and be easier to understand as well. If it was tied in with a tag that allowed faction makers to alter the amount villages/resting restored, like Sauron was asking for...
The general direction of development is to make things (like ablilties) more easy to control and adjust with WML. Xan's done a lot of that since 1.0.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Eleazar wrote:
Kestenvarn wrote:It might look more complicated, but it would allow faction creators more flexibility with their units than the current system and be easier to understand as well. If it was tied in with a tag that allowed faction makers to alter the amount villages/resting restored, like Sauron was asking for...
The general direction of development is to make things (like ablilties) more easy to control and adjust with WML. Xan's done a lot of that since 1.0.
*nods*

I mean, suppose someone made a unit that reflected a extremely fit character physically... like a monk. Regen+8 would be going overboard, but Regen+1 would be fine for this.
JW

Post by JW »

turin wrote:And I fail to see why ABILITY_CURES would remove poison while ABILITY_HEALS would not. Was that hard-wired in or something?
Hey, let's give Elvish Shamans a 30-5 Magical Impact melee attack while we're at it. :shock:

Seriously, I think I reworking of Heal + Cure + other healing is probably a good idea, but making Healers anti-poison units in addition to everything else that they are would just weaken the Poisoning units more than anything else - which I think is a bad move. Let's look at what units use Poison, shall we?

1) Orcish Assassin (and Orcish 0Slayer)
2) Ghoul (and Necrophage)
3) Assassin

They don't need weakening just as much as the Rebels don't need another level 1 ability.

As for stacking healing, I think this alternative would be better: Healing maxes for single units are dropped (a Shaman can Heal all 6 units around her), and the highest healing rate a unit would receive from a single source is still what they get.

Alternatively, if stacking is decided to be necessary, I think it should be diminished when secondary units are helping (example of a unit surrounded by 3 Curers and 3 Healers):
Cure +8
Cure +2
Cure +2
Heal +1
Heal +1
Heal +1
Total = +15

I think removing the single unit cap OR adding stacking would be an interesting change. I think doing both would lead to what Dave was talking about in his quote.

I of course defer to Doc if his genius thinks otherwise.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I thought that both heal and cure could already remove poison, then again I haven't played a game against someboyd with poison with a healer in a long time (Either they had poison, nd I had no healer, or they didn't have poison, and i had a healer)
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

JW wrote:Hey, let's give Elvish Shamans a 30-5 Magical Impact melee attack while we're at it. :shock:
he was asking how the difference was implemented, not suggesting that it be removed...

BTW, although healing cannot remove poison, it can prevent it taking effect (thus preventing 8 damage rather than healing 4)
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

I am very sorry to tell you, but healing was already changed in 1.1.2 to a different system. There is no stacking of healers of your own side. A healer heals every unit around him/her with a certain amount, no matter how many units there are. Heal now has different "levels" and the extra ability cure does *only* remove poison and not heal. Have a look at the changelog for little more info about the concrete way healing is supposed to work now.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

It would be nice if someone could update the wiki with a clear explanation of how the new healing works.