BfW is a game that relies on save-scumming too much

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

octalot
Code Contributor

Re: BfW is a game that relies on save-scumming too much

Post by octalot » April 13th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Armagedonus wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 7:06 pm
I propose "wound system".
Simply speaking, when unit reaches 0hp instead of dying, it goes into separated unit pool called "wounded units".
And when scenario ends the units from "wounded" pool go INTO "recall" pool for next mission!
I've just uploaded this as the "Non-Fatal Wound" add-on. Just experimental at the moment, only played a couple of scenarios for testing.

I like the ideas about limiting which units should be saved, but haven't implemented that yet. I'm unsure about the necromancy part, as it makes sense for the lore but I'm not sure it makes sense for the gameplay.

sergey

Post by sergey » April 13th, 2019, 6:49 pm

octalot wrote:
April 13th, 2019, 6:39 pm
I've just uploaded this as the "Non-Fatal Wound" add-on. Just experimental at the moment, only played a couple of scenarios for testing.
Cool! I will try it.
octalot wrote:
April 13th, 2019, 6:39 pm
I like the ideas about limiting which units should be saved, but haven't implemented that yet. I'm unsure about the necromancy part, as it makes sense for the lore but I'm not sure it makes sense for the gameplay.
I think if player decides to save a unit, then the unit shouldn't be turned into a walking corpse. If player don't want to save the unit it will become a walking corpse.

Spirit_of_Currents

Post by Spirit_of_Currents » April 14th, 2019, 5:24 am

For balance reasons, I think that wounded units should have much higher recall cost.

Edit: and don't limit how many units can become wounded.
There are very much electrical currents in my brain.

Ruvaak

Post by Ruvaak » April 14th, 2019, 6:07 pm

If you don't like save-scumming, for campaign you can use Experimental RNG (don't forget to enable "keep seed", like almost people), give a try on Advanced Wesnoth Wars mod. The first feature is about that. The chances to hit become 100%, and a temporal damage multiplier is created for each attack, using real change to hit (terrain, special weapon effects) as damage ratio.

And damage estimation are real-time displayed on units. The mode works for campaigns & MP.
Creator of Advanced Wesnoth Wars mod