Scenario Review: THoT 6 - High Pass

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Hammer of Thursagan.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: THoT 6 - High Pass

Post by Content Feedback »

High Pass is the 6th scenario of The Hammer of Thursagan.

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
AI
Developer

Re: Scenario Review: THoT 6 - High Pass

Post by AI »

easiest one
very clear, just get to the other side
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
clear, you'll get snowed in if you don't get out
however, I missed the archmage in this scenario, and even though I never got him, people in later scenarios keep referring to him, which was rather confusing until I looked at the WML
none, really
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
not sure
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
no
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
no problems
Einar

Post by Einar »

One minor problem with it: The house where Ratheln is hiding looks identical to the others - I played this on medium, and found it pretty easy to get to the end, and then in the next scenario was terribly confused because the mage school head was talking about a wizard coming with me, when I had never found him. It felt like I was missing a scenario.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

He shows up on his own on turn 12, but you can finish before then. I've reported this to ESR and he fixed it in trunk, so the bug'll be gone in 1.5.4.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Lord (Challenging) 1.5.7

4. Gryphons can pick off an injured unit if you are not careful, but only two of them means they are easy to pick off. The spawns are good to slow you up really (I know that is the point) more than hurt you.

Crystal.

Good, I like the dialogue about the irony of the great mage freezing to death.

Getting to the end as fast as possible, I got hung up killing off some ogres. I overestimated how long it would take stumpy little legs to reach the end of the pass.

4. Nothing special, but the spawns make for an interesting running battle and it does a good job again of simulating their travel.

Good as is, maybe a bit more enemies rushing your flanks to add to the sense of a running battle.

Nope

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Seems alright to me.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
zaimoni

Post by zaimoni »

Mythological wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Easy [Wesnoth 1.6.2]
Mythological wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Mythological wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Transparent.
Mythological wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Reasonable.
Mythological wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Maintaining an adequate Zone of Control screen to handle the gryphons, at least after turn 2. One of the attempts got zugzwanged by wolves on turn 2, although I'm pretty sure that I bungled the manuevering for that replay.
Mythological wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Mythological wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I don't understand the scenario well enough. I don't think it should be routine to dispose of the Gryphon leader, although without testing the scenario on Hard I can't say whether that is a real problem or not.
Mythological wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Mythological wrote:(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
The WML is clear and well-commented.
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Lord, 1.8.1.
(2) 5
(3) Clear.
(4) Good.
(5) It's pretty frantic - wolves coming at you all the time, tough enemies like trolls and gryphons, and your force is small so the gryphons can easily circle to attack your weakest unit. My force got pretty strung out due to racing my leader ahead while other units tried to clear up injured enemies.
(6) 6
(8) No, but it was very close - the wizard was down to ~2 HP on two consecutive turns.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

hard; 1.8.3 (under Windows 7, 64-bit)

9.9, the hardest scenario of any mainline campaign (see #5 below.)

Clear.

Okay.

Teleporting ogres and wolf packs make it literally impossible to win unless you get lucky and don't get many teleporting wolf packs. Normally, wolf pack after wolf pack will teleport on top of you. They don't run in. They don't care about ZOC. They teleport. And there are dozens of them. They ZOC lock you, so there's no way you can get to the objective hex within the turn limit. Game over, man.

Teleportation should be reserved for silver mages, not stupid ogres and wolves.

At the start of my turn 6:

At the end of my turn 6:

(During the replay, I pressed the single arrow button after the first screenshot, so the second screenshot is after my turn, not the enemy's.)

Where the hell did the ogre come from?! Now, what makes this more confusing is that actually he was there at the start of my turn 6, but doesn't show up in the replay. But he was nowhere to be seen on turn 5. He teleported to that location! That hex is ZOC locked by my units. It's impossible for a unit to appear there even out of the shroud without using teleportation or skirmishing ability. And he's just your garden variety ogre, quick-resilient to be exact.

Teleporting wolf packs. After a few attempts, I got only teleporting ogres, which I could handle.

It says in the comments that if the mage dies, you lose the scenario, but the game objectives never say that. I would change the game objectives (after he appears) to be consistent with the comments. Maybe the dialog could be adjusted to make it more of a solemn promise to get him out of the mountains alive. "I give you my word." And then when he dies he can say, "You gave me your word!"
Attachments
THoT-High_Pass_replay.gz
(19.18 KiB) Downloaded 2132 times
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Mythological wrote:High Pass is the 6th scenario of The Hammer of Thursagan.

Normal 1.8.3
5 - harder than you think, you need to plan how to move or you may be swarmed by trolls and ogres.
Clear, somewhat. Probably because of the shroud (or fog, I forget)
Nothing special.
Making it through the scenario with a handful of units.
4 - kind of a let down after Invaders.
Don't really know. But something needs to be spiced up in this level.
Bad planning at start. Restarted then everything went fine.
Didn't check.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.3, Medium, 268 starting gold

4 (hardest part being Gryphons and wounded units).

Reach sign post.

Though I agree with others that finding the mage isn't obvious.

"hut near the top of the pass" - first time I played, it was not at all clear to me which village that was. (Second time, attached replay, I admit I knew and sent my Gyphon Master right to it.)

Gryphons getting to wounded units.

Having to look hard at the start of each turn for new monsters - I like the idea, but I had a hard time picking them out against the mountains, so I had to start each turn carefully scanning the map.

Good as it is. Perhaps add a bit of dialog when monsters appear to give player a heads up.

First time I under-recalled and then got bogged down and ran out of time. I thought it was going to be more of a running scenario.

Very nicely commented.
Attachments
THoT-High_Pass_replay.gz
(18.31 KiB) Downloaded 1108 times
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Try this challenge. Modify The High Pass' WML so that it adds only wolves (no ogres or trolls.) You'll be able to figure it out, even if you don't speak WML. However, you might need to first change the security settings of the file. Then load LoW-The High Pass.gz, so it will start with your units you had then. Then spend a maximum of 73 gold and remember that the turn limit is 12 on hard. See if you can beat that. That's the hell I went through on one attempt. I think it recruited one troll for me, but that probably only made it harder.

Here's a replay with the scenario file modified to only add wolves. Note the teleporting wolves, which would have landed right on top of my troops had I been on pace to get to the signpost. Why not add the wolves on the path but far away, so that they run in naturally?

Edit: Although I lost due to death of the mage, note that the leader would not have reached the signpost in time, so that's really the main problem.
Attachments
THoT-High_Pass_replay,_wolves_mod.gz
(21.99 KiB) Downloaded 1048 times
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Hard 1.9+svn

6. Possible to lose through sloppy playing (as I did), but not really hard.

Quite.

Not bad. The mage trapped in the pass was... amusing, I guess.

Making the right recruitment choices. The key to this campaign generally seems to be recognizing whether to get high level units or low levels, and how much of your total gold to spend.

5. Nothing exceptional about it, nothing wrong with it really.

Have some more fun gimmicks. Maybe an item or two. (Does anything happen if you kill the gryphon?)

Recruiting too many low-level units the first attempt.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
santosis

Post by santosis »

Medium 1.8.5

Clear- Move to the end.

Hey, look what I found. A bad ass mage.

I spent all of my gold recruiting one keep's worth of troops. I moved through the mountains (terrain advantage was pretty much the only chance I had given numbers).

I finished the scenario on turn 13/18 with -6 gold. I'll carry 27 gold into the next scenario. I'm still feeling pretty poor.

I eventually made it through without taking any casualties, but I had to restart several times. Boo randomly appearing monsters.

4 - The random monsters were really frustrating. Its not a mechanic I have seen before, and it doesn't make any sense.

No magic wolves and trolls. Have a base, let me know where they are coming from.

Random monsters.
Yrth

Post by Yrth »

Hard, 1.8.5

5, if you don´t kwow the scenario, then you may advance too slow in order to protect your leader
2, if you know you can send the leader ahead more or less unharmed

Clear

Good plot and the mage is a nice topping up

Advancing too slow

Getting a special reward killing the griffon leader

Advancing too slow

BubbleScreen

Post by BubbleScreen »

Medium, 1.8.5
5 in the early going, then 1 thanks to the AI being silly.

Fine, but you should make the mage obvious or have him pop out or something.

We need an explanation for the Ogres and Wolves and Gryphons that infest these mountains, who suicidally attack well-armed Dwarves in concert and never fight each other. Makes no sense. And why there's a Gryphon sitting in a castle of all places.

Protecting my troops from marauding Gryphons.

1 - allow me to explain:
Besides my comments in (4), it's just silly right now. The real fight and challenge is fending off the Gryphons and whatnot in the early going. Then Aiglondur pirouettes his way across the board untouched. And the wolves back off from my troops.

Frankly, I don't know how I'd do it if I had to walk everyone across the board. The wolves spawn pretty fast, and as Maiklas says, they don't do it in a sensible manner.

I really appreciate wanting to give us different challenges, presenting us with different enemies, but this needs to be overhauled, from a tactical and a dialog standpoint. See my dialogue suggestions, and Maiklas' comments.

There should be incentive for Aiglondur to bring his retinue with him, and also it is more realistic. But then you have to make it easier for the party to traverse the pass. Not that there's a ton of incentive to stick to the road at this point. And make the spawns less silly.

No