Scenario Review: THoT 4 - Troll Bridge

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Hammer of Thursagan.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: THoT 4 - Troll Bridge

Post by Content Feedback »

Post us a review of The Hammer of Thursagan's Troll Bridge scenario by answering the following questions:

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
WarHamster

Re: Scenario Review: THoT 4 - Troll Bridge

Post by WarHamster »

Normal.

Not difficult. Pretty easy, in fact.

They were clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I enjoyed the dialog and storyline. It is well-written and interesting.

Trolls, eh? Their regeneration gives a new importance to force concentration (or to say it in other words - piling up on one target). Having not fought the trolls yet, my biggest challenge was to learn how to fight them effectively. I got the hang of it pretty fast. :wink:

I had a lot of fun hacking and slashing at the trolls. Lot of pile ups (with 4-5 dwarves trying to kill one troll dead, dead, dead to prevent its regeneration)! Nice varied opponents in this campaign thus far.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
The map is very small. It sure keeps the action contained, but I would have preferred a little bit larger map and a bit more terrain variation. The scenario, as it is now, is very straightforward, and while that's not a negative thing in and of itself, this scenario might be a bit too straighforward.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I got a bit over-confident (read: careless) and attacked quite boldly with my secondary leader (who's name escapes me now), in order to level him, but ended up losing him, thus losing the scenario. After a restart, I took things a bit more carefully and won the scenario quite easily.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
DOn't know it.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Lord (Challenging) 1.5.7

3. Trolls pack a punch but if you were smart enough to level thunderers or even just recruit some, you can easily chip away at their high hp.

Crystal.

Funny. Probably one of my favorite monologues in mainline. "This troll bridge, you pay toll. No, this toll bridge, you pay troll. Wait..."

None.

3. Simple map, very small, only a handful of trolls. I do get the point of simulating their travel and emphasizing the dwarves support of the Northern Alliance.

More trolls, maybe a nasty naga surprise from the swamps.

None.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Error with the recruitment pattern for the troll leader. Bug posted https://gna.org/bugs/?12840.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
zaimoni

Post by zaimoni »

Mythological wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Easy, Hard [Wesnoth 1.6.2]
Mythological wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Easy: 3
Hard: 5
Mythological wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Transparent.
Mythological wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The troll's speech was quite possibly the best dialog in the whole campaign. Dialog here is not worth trying to improve.
Mythological wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Zone of control issues -- can't let the fighters who need the kills actually be in front, and must guarantee escape routes for those on the front line.
Mythological wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Mythological wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
No significant changes needed.
Mythological wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Mythological wrote:(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Yes, the WML is clear and well-commented.
bluwater94

Post by bluwater94 »

i really think that if you made the trolls have a bit more gold and maybe have a few veterens because this game was a breeze...(by the way this was on easy and on 1.6.2
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Lord, 1.8.1
(2) 2.
(3) Clear
(4) Good :-)
(5) My thunderers getting unlucky. That meant it took a bit longer to kill the trolls than expected, so I finished with only 1 turn spare.
(6) 5 - fine for a brief interlude.
(7) -
(8) No.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

hard; 1.8.3

7 or 8 if you only recall one keep. Otherwise easy.

Clear.

Great, hilarious.

With four trolls attacking, it's difficult to not lose a unit.

None.

I got Angarthing killed, so I restarted the scenario.

There are very few comments. You could comment about the loot, contemporaneous recruits, herodeaths.cfg, defensive grouping...
Attachments
THoT-Troll_Bridge_replay.gz
(13.79 KiB) Downloaded 1490 times
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Mythological wrote:Post us a review of The Hammer of Thursagan's Troll Bridge scenario by answering the following questions:

Normal 1.8.3
1 - Fighters and Thunderers alone ould blast through this scenario without trouble. Got some good experience along the way.
Clear.
I like Angarthing throughout the whole thing. Troll was okay.
None.
4 - Not really a challenge.
More enemies!
Nope.
Didn't check.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.3, Medium, 272 starting gold

Kill troll leader

Above average.

Getting Angarthing to actually hit something so he can get experience.

Maybe a surge of gold for the trolls around turns 6-8 to make the approach more challenging?

Also, I'm not sure why (chance?) but my opponent didn't recruit anything but whelps.

No.

Not commented, but clear enough.
Attachments
(13.42 KiB) Downloaded 914 times
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Hard, 1.9+svn.

2. Easiest of the campaign.

Unambiguous.

The attempt at humor actually works, though it's not brilliant. Good job.

None.

4. When a scenario gets TOO easy...

Make the optimal strategy more obvious. It took me a while (though perhaps this was just me being lazy) to figure out that I ought to not recruit much and not worry about finishing early, since 5 villages doesn't give much of a bonus, and I should just not waste money and get the 200 gold at the end.

I never lost on THIS scenario, but had to replay it when I got to the next and realized I didn't have enough money.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
santosis

Post by santosis »

Medium, 1.8.5

Clear - Kill ugly.

The troll is entertaining.

Maximizing XP. Given that there's been a few easy scenarios in a row, I am expecting a major challenge soon.

I entered with over 230 gold and recruited one keep. I leveled my main to a Lord, a Thunderguard, and a Griffon master. I finished in turn 10 and will carry 189 gold over to the next scenario.

Its a fine way to help people level up troops.

Two rounds of recruited trolls?

I lost Angarthing to aggression (trying desperately to get him kills, rolls have not been kind). One unnecessary reload.
Yrth

Post by Yrth »

Hard, 1.8.5

4 with a bunch of leveled units, otherwise probably 8

Very

Clear, actually the scenario doesn´t really contribute to the story

None

6, nice idea just to deal with a bunch of heavy-melee units

No proposal

No

BubbleScreen

Post by BubbleScreen »

Medium, 1.8.5

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?

Fine

The troll is pretty funny. But Angarthing gives this mysterious analysis of the bridge that is never followed up on. Either drop that or do something with it. Also the treasure chest is presumably full of gold from collected tolls, so might as well spell that out.

Holding a line at night without losses, and in unfavorable terrain. You have to judiciously balance thunderers/guards and fighters/steelclads. The former are necessary for quickly taking down trolls (and thus preventing regeneration), but their poor melee attacks make them a target. The latter fare well in melee, but take longer to bring their men down and get worn down. Also you don't have much healing.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?
6 - short and sweet, a chance to test a new enemy.

Nothing

No
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Medium, 1.9.6

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?
3. While the trolls use good tactics, they are just too easy to take down. It plays like a novice scenario (do it right and its a cakewalk).

The troll is pretty funny. But Angarthing gives this mysterious analysis of the bridge that is never followed up on. Either drop that or do something with it. Also the treasure chest is presumably full of gold from collected tolls, so might as well spell that out.
Exactly.

Leveling the units :D

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?

Maybe add a rock thrower. Maybe have a couple of injured captive soldiers who were the bridge guards appear if you dont take too long.

No

(9)
PorkSol

Post by PorkSol »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? 1.9.9, hardest available, no save load
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 6. If you just want to win it's a 1, but it seems like you'd want to conserve money.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Winning with a single castle of mostly level one guys.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 5. I had to knock off a point because I ended up winning easily, then immediately restarting the scenario to re-do it while recruiting less.
1 restart after winning while spending too much. 2-3 restarts while trying to win with one castle of mostly level 1 units. (due to high exp units getting splatted)
Attachments
1.9.9, hardest available, no save load
(20.63 KiB) Downloaded 827 times