Scenario Review: THoT 3 - Strange Allies

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Hammer of Thursagan.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BubbleScreen

Re: Scenario Review: THoT 3 - Strange Allies

Post by BubbleScreen »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.8.5

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?
2 - My allies acquitted themselves quite well. They held up the bandits for quite a bit of time in the hills east of the river, so my troops had a pretty easy time of walking across the board and getting to said hills. I sent my first task force to the south, to protect Mr. Orc, and my second to the north on a direct route, but that didn't matter much. After that, the worn-down enemy combined with favorable terrain for an easy victory.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
No problem.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Not that interesting. I would like a much stronger explanation of what the Northern Alliance is, its history, and the terms, and so forth. And why it is now rare for Orcs and Dwarves to fight shoulder-to-shoulder. Also spell out painfully that Mr. Orc needs to survive.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Actually, my allies did a little too well in the hills east of the river. I had to move quickly to scoop up experience. I was mildly surprised by the enemy leader dropping pairs of units on me every few turns, but it wasn't a big deal.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?
Tactically maybe a 5, but bump it up to 6 for fighting alongside Orcs. I second Maiklas' comments about level-up healing. This scenario (and scenario 1) does a good job of making us use level-ups for healing our slow-moving troops.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Dialogue improvement. And maybe explain why it is the Orc has been surprised or put in a vulnerable position.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Medium, 1.9.6

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?
2 - My allies acquitted themselves quite well. They held up the bandits for quite a bit of time in the hills east of the river, so my troops had a pretty easy time of walking across the board and getting to said hills. I sent my first task force to the south, to protect Mr. Orc, and my second to the north on a direct route, but that didn't matter much. After that, the worn-down enemy combined with favorable terrain for an easy victory.
I was a little worried because last time i played this scenario i was hard pressed to even get across the stream due to outlaw spam.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Getting any experience at all for my young Witness.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Have Outlaws start a surprise attack from forward positions while we are catching up on news about the Northern Alliance with the Orcs. i.e. give them a bit of a head start.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No

(9)
PorkSol

Post by PorkSol »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Hardest available, 1.9.9, no save load
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 2. I won easily, got decent exp including a level for my witness, while leaving my level 2s unrecalled. I also earned a fair amount of cash. The Orcs happily charge out and die to the outlaws, but this leaves the outlaws weak enough to be easy experience for your guys.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Solid.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? I'm not used to playing with no healers and units that are too slow to run to villages. Other than that, just trying to distribute EXP to the right people and play efficiently. Also over-recruiting is probably a risk, I might have been better off recruiting a few less guys.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 6. Solid but unspectacular.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? Probably none, I'm assuming this scenario is intended to be a scenario to strengthen your army for the future.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? Nope.

(as always I am using the unofficial bug fix to allow AI to recruit all unit types specified in the scenario: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32939)
Attachments
THoT-Strange_Allies_replay.gz
Hardest available, 1.9.9, no save load
(24.34 KiB) Downloaded 1421 times
SBak

Post by SBak »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Wesnoth 1.8.5 Easy
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear.
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It was okay.
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Trying to level a dwarvish thunderer against either a thug or a footpad. The animation showed the thunderer doing his thing and this footpad is standing there, then nothing.. That was before said footpad suddenly disappeared thanks to the sword of an orcish grunt on 5HP. Next turn I could see the thug saying 'yeah right, bring it on' but this time the matches worked (if dwarvish thunderers use matches).
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
I'm going through this campaign for the first time and I enjoyed it, so an 8. I like the campaign because I'm finding it much easier to level up units than in other campaigns and managed to spread the dwarves around the mountains/hills north east so I could get some kills. It was the first time of fighting alongside orcs and having Liberty as my second campaign completed (first intermediate) I was interested so see how orcs and thugs/poachers/footpads interact on AI. I've chosen this as my 'anchor' scenario in the campaign if I need to return from later scenarios.
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I can't think of anything.
Content Feedback wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No, but I played it twice after coming back from Invasion as I needed to level different units.
Content Feedback wrote:(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
I haven't reached that stage yet.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Normal 1.10.2
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
100%
Nice to see some diversity in orcish kind.
Overwhelming the humans was pretty easy after their clash with the closer orcs. My only challenge was making sure my ocish ally's one remaining archer didn't get the finishing blow on the human leader.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
None
No
Fate is against me.
Giraffemonster

Post by Giraffemonster »

Steelclad (Normal), 1.10.3

5, I overrecruited a bit too.

Clear, help the orc kill the outlaw.

It was good. The dialogue was pretty centric around fighting alongside orcs, rather than against them, and I thought it was an interesting premise as well, given that it doesn't happen more often, which it should.

Getting the enemy to come to the hills/mountains. I couldn't be bothered to move out of the hills, so I watched as they slaughtered my ally. Then the fighting started, like four or five turns in.

5. The ally has a lot of gold to spare, so he takes quite a bit of kills. I did like being able to use the Dwarvish Witness as a unit though, he's pretty unique.

None that I can think of.

Nope.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A
Rubric

Post by Rubric »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Hardest.
Very easy. I basically ignored the Orcs and let them fend for themselves. They got beaten up, but the leader stayed safe. My main force got bogged down in the middle, but the gryphon, the witness, and a scout went around to the north and were able to reach the bandit leader and take him out. I think I only used one third of the available turns.
Good -- having orc allies is a nice twist.
I'm still having trouble levelling up. All my units are still level 1. I guess it's my fault since finished this one so early.
I liked it. I can't give numerical ratings, since I haven't played many games yet.
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:Below is a small 'survey'. It'd be greatly appreciated if people who have played the third scenario of The Hammer of Thursagan would fill it out.

Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium/Hard
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Strange allies indeed - it feels odd.
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
No challenges.
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
No idea.
Content Feedback wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Content Feedback wrote:(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
SBak

Post by SBak »

Easy and medium 1.85 and 1.10.5

4 unless you have levelled a couple of units then it's 2.

Very clear.

It all made sense.

Getting XP for my units. Thanks to the terrain, distance and the movement point handicap there's no way you can just storm right into the thick of things but have to 'pick off' wounded units. It's a lottery. There's no way you can lose the scenario easily, but how much XP you get is down to various factors and a certain amount of luck.

I give this an 8, irrespective of whether I've come out of it with badly mauled lvl1s or a handful of lvl2s.

I'd leave it as it is.

Just once, thanks to a simply straightforward execution of a dying Footpad turning into a major brawl involving 4 units and costing me my healer.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

N/A
Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?: Easy, 1.11.15
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10): 2
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?: Very clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?: Very clear. Although, I didn't understand why these orcs ally with you and the orcs from the first scenario are against you. I must have missed something in the story. Still, it is good overall.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?: None. The orc leader took the brunt of the bandit's assault.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10): 4
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?: The orc leader has too much starting gold I think. The orcs were able to overwhelm the bandits without much resistance. I didn't have much of a chance to get into the action. In hindsight, I would've recruited far less and just rushed the bandit leader.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?: I didn't check.
SP Campaign: Rally For Roanic
goblinThing

Post by goblinThing »

Content Feedback wrote:Below is a small 'survey'. It'd be greatly appreciated if people who have played the third scenario of The Hammer of Thursagan would fill it out.

normal, 1.11.15
clear

Fairly interesting. I haven't read much about the northern alliance yet, so that bit peaked my interest.
There weren't any, and that was the problem. The orcs basically handled themselves. I mean, I darted in and took out the leader, but only once the orcs mopped everything else up.
3, read #5.
I'd expand the river between the orcs and enemies, so that it delays the orcs by a turn or two.
nope.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

(1) Level and version? Hard (Lord), 1.12.4, 246 starting gold
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 4, pretty easy. Orc ally poisons tons of units for you.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fine. Kind of strange to ally with an orc right after fighting one though.
(5) Challenges? Not much.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 5
(7) Changes? More level ones instead of level 2s for the enemy would make it more of a challenge.
(8) Restarts? None.

Finished turn 12/24
Attachments
THoT-Strange_Allies_replay.gz
(29.5 KiB) Downloaded 737 times
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

1.13.8 Hard

Clear

I felt a little lost. As far as I can tell the background to the northern alliance comes in the Northern Rebirth campaign, which since its marked expert seems to be recommended to be played after this campaign. Which makes me very curious what happened in it to end up with orcs being part of the alliance. Playing in the order the campaigns are listed for the most part, the scenario going here's a bunch of orcs, and hey they're your allies feels like a bit of a non sequitur.

None really. The enemies could be annoying to hit at times, but between your ally wearing them down, setting up defensive lines along the waters edge to get a chance to kill a bunch of them in the river, and a number of well positioned mountains and hills they never posed much of a threat.

5. Its honestly a fairly forgettable scenario, not particularly great or bad.

A better explanation of the northern alliance is kind of needed but its probably something that goes more in the first scenario then this. But this is the scenario that makes it clear I don't really understand what said alliance is.

No.
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Easy

- Clear, get rid of bandits

- Very fun. In fact, the idea of orcs being allies is a very smooth idea and has to be one of my favorite moments in Wesnoth.

- Not much, only trying to remain on hills and mountains and sweep down the remainder of bandits after orcs weakened them

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)ž

- The orcish warrior can grant you a loyal orcish archer so this would have been a fun campaign to have a loyal orc by your side, who would be a a slurbow by the end of the campaign and sweep up the enemies with fire arrows. How cool would that be?

- None
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

LordWolfDan wrote: November 13th, 2018, 8:19 am (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

- The orcish warrior can grant you a loyal orcish archer so this would have been a fun campaign to have a loyal orc by your side, who would be a a slurbow by the end of the campaign and sweep up the enemies with fire arrows. How cool would that be?
Interesting idea. Should be fun, I agree. Maybe it could be done as a bonus reward, like Simyr. And it'll need some dialog added in
Spoiler:
If you want to take this further please start a new thread or a github issue :D (likewise for your suggestions in your other feedback posts, such as for additional dialog)