Scenario Review: THoT 3 - Strange Allies

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Hammer of Thursagan.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: THoT 3 - Strange Allies

Post by Content Feedback »

Below is a small 'survey'. It'd be greatly appreciated if people who have played the third scenario of The Hammer of Thursagan would fill it out.

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
WarHamster

Re: Scenario Review: THoT 3 - Strange Allies

Post by WarHamster »

Normal.

Pretty easy. Only real problem was the charging ally orc leader (see below). Well, he's an orc, what did you expect... ;)

They were clear (although at first I assumed I'd be fighting both the orcs and the bandits, even if the objectives claimed otherwise. Expected the orcs to turn on me at some point. Shows how biased I am. Heh. But as a dwarf, how can I really trust an orc?! It's madness! :? )

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Very nice twist with the orcs being on my side (orcs and dwarves fighting side by side, good golly, what next, paladins and zombies?!). Very good dialog and storyline so far. Two thumbs up!

As the orcs start closer to the bandits, they get to engage the bandits first and bear the brunt of their onslaught. This (at least in my game) put a heavy toll on the orc leader's forces as the bandits managed to swarm them pretty badly. (How can you swarm an orcish horde? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Well, the bandits did swarm the orcs all right. :shock: ) Once I got my dwarven force formed up and marched across the north-south river, the orcs were few in number and their leader had decided to go out with a bang - he charged the bandits. IIRC, you lose the scenario if the orc leader dies, so I had to quickly send part of my force to rescue that damned fool. (Imagine, a dwarven life guard on an orc boss! Oh, hope my clan ancestors did not witness that, as this would require some serious explaining in the afterlife...) All's well that ends well, the orc boss regained his senses and withdrew to his camp under the protection of my dwarven warriors. After that, and after the great effort from the orcish warriors now dead, it was relatively easy to defeat the remaining bandits.
(Sorry, if this was a bit on the long side. I get carried away so easily. :mrgreen: )

I had a lot of fun! Fun to fight along the orcs for a change.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Well, the orcs could start a bit further away from the bandits, so that the dwarves could get to join the battle around the same time with them. (Sure, you could just rush your dwarves forward, to get there around the same time, but this would be commiting your forces in small separate trickles instead of en masse, a wave of axes and hammers. Raah!!) However, this "orc relocation" would change the dynamics of the scenario and I'm not at all sure if the change would be for the better.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Don't know it.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

As a note, I think the amount of orcish intercession varies too greatly with the difficulty of this scenario. There's really no complaints at all about the orcs being too strong on hard, you found them a bit strong but were still able to intervene, and on easy it's basically like you sit there and watch them play for you. I think the orcs should have the same amount of gold on all three difficulty levels, which is what they currently have for hard. And I think the easy difficulty should have slightly more gold than before, perhaps halfway between the previous easy and medium difficulties.
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

Normal

Extremely

Good kept me enertained

Executing a brillaint strategy for it to be ruined by the orc getting loads of bad luck. When i played it again after the dwarven dorrs i understood it more.

None

Nope

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

Not that good at WML
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Lord (Challenging) 1.5.7

3. Even a couple leveled dwarves are plenty to wipe out the outlaws, just let the orcs do the brunt work.

Crystal.

Good, I liked the inherent irony of the player having to fight alongside orcs given that he was sent to kill them in the first scenario.

None.

5. Nice map, letting the player make the most of the dwarves with the bits of hill/mountain. Not that hard/fun beyond the normal mission of kill them all. :)

Have the outlaws pose more of a threat in besieging/attacking the dwarves, so that the player is focused more on saving the orc leader than in just going across the northern part of the map to kill the outlaw. Perhaps given the orc less recruits to start with, having him tell the player he was taken off guard and reinforcements from the rest of his tribe are coming? (Gold bonus to him in 5 turns, or unit spawn)

Nope.

Looks alright to me.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
zaimoni

Post by zaimoni »

Mythological wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Easy, Hard. [Wesnoth 1.6.2]
Mythological wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Easy: can be converted to 10 (automatic defeat) by a strategy error that isn't foreseeable by a novice on first play, 4 with reasonable strategy.
Hard: haven't verified this properly (couldn't complete without spamming reloads turns 6-9). Minimum 8 (no way to force winning). Probably 9 with ideal recall list, 10 with bad recall list.
Mythological wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Transparent.
Mythological wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Reasonable.
Mythological wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Easy: your ally has enough forces to cover one of the two bridges, so you have to split forces and cover his bridge that is nearer to yours as well. This is not at all evident on turn 2 (the last chance to avoid automatic death of your ally by strategic error), and it would not be in-character for the orc leader to mention this.

Hard: your ally can't cover either of the bridges, and you can't get Dwarves to the melee before the orcs are completely wasted. Forget balanced recruiting on turn 1 (guardians don't have enough killing power); a bad recall list could make this a 10.
Mythological wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Easy: 7, once the automatic strategic loss on Turn 2 is avoided (permitting the automatic strategic loss is a 1).
Hard: Unknown.
Mythological wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Easy: There needs to be some dialog to warn off the player from the strategic automatic loss. I'd probably key this to the "most experienced dwarf recruited" on Turn 1, as an end of turn event.
Hard: Undecided whether this needs dialog, or no change. Dialog key would be as Easy, but would be different.
Mythological wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Easy: the automatic death of the orc leader from bungling Turn 2.
Hard: see difficulty rating :(
Mythological wrote:(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Yes. Nominating Marth-Tak as a high priority target on Hard should be redundant.
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Lord, 1.8.1
(2) Hard to say, as I'm not sure that the difficulty is very stable. Because the ally boss got himself surrounded in the open plain on my first real attempt, which I couldn't practically rescue him from, I'll give it a 7.

(If the ally doesn't do that then the level becomes easy: hold up the enemy attack on the ally while a strike force takes out the enemy leader - who sends his whole army away south and doesn't resist my attack on him at all. Your strike force can reach the enemy boss unopposed on turn 8, which is about the same time that the enemy's force reaches the ally's casle, so you only need to buy 1 or 2 turns with your defense.)

(3) Fairly clear, although I didn't pick up on the need to protect the ally first time around.
(4) Fine.
(5)
Keeping the ally alive can be either very hard or very easy, depending on how the initial fight goes between him and the enemy. First realistic attempt at the level, the enemy won the fight with lots of strength to spare, and the ally commander charged out in front of my defenders and was trapped and killed in the open plain; I tried a few save-loads varying tactics to try and save him from himself (I needed only 1 more turn to beat the enemy boss reliably) but couldn't find a sane combination.

I replayed with a different strategy, sending a sacrificial force to block the plain in front of the ally (instead of defending his castle as in my first attempt) and the level played out entirely differently (not due to anything I did). The enemy barely won the battle with my ally, and his weakened forces stumbled into my dwarves in daylight and were easily defeated (whereas, with the strength that the enemy had on the previous attempt, I expected my sacrificial dwarves to have no chance). I could have beaten the whole thing with just the 6 raw dwarven fighters in this outcome.

(6) 6 - it made me think, but I think the difficulty varies rather widely depending on luck.
(7) Well, I wouldn't care about the ally so much if he was set to have a passive leader - then I could defend him without worrying about him throwing his boss away.
(8) The ally boss dying as a result of a reckless sortie into the plain.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

hard; 1.8.3

Not at all clear. It says nothing about protecting the orc leader, but you lose if he dies.

Interesting. The orc seems more eloquent than I would have expected.

The main challenge is trying to divert the outlaws from the orcs without getting overwhelmed and losing units as a result.

The slowness of the dwarves and widely spaced villages caused me to "level up" my playing style. I took a half-dead dwarf and gave him two easy kills to level him up in order to heal him, saving the long trip to medical facilities. Never done that with two kills before.

I also saved a surrounded and critically wounded guardsman by having him make a desperate attack in order to level up if he would make a low probability kill, after everyone and their mothers failed to break him out. That's sort of a no brainer, but still thrilling to gamble and win.

Instead of rushing the finish for a bigger gold bonus, I concentrated on distributing XP optimally. Instead of leader assassination, I annihilated every last unit. And even when the leader was the last one left standing, I stood on my head to give the kill of the outlaw leader to Angarthing, using suboptimal attacks with suboptimal units, and lots of them, in order to whittle the leader's hit points down to the point that wimpy Angarthing could kill him. I've done similar things before, just not to such an extreme.

8. It improved my play, which was thrilling.

Just clarify the objectives.

Death of Marth Tak caused unexpected loss.

Yeah, it's well documented, saying "the stinger is that if Marth Tak dies, you lose." Too bad the player doesn't know that if he doesn't read the WML.
Attachments
THoT-Strange_Allies_replay.gz
(22.47 KiB) Downloaded 1334 times
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Mythological wrote:Below is a small 'survey'. It'd be greatly appreciated if people who have played the third scenario of The Hammer of Thursagan would fill it out.

Normal 1.8.3
2 - The outlaws were no match for my steelclads.
Clear.
Allying with orcs is a nice twist. But I don't get why the outlaws wanted to attack?
Getting enough experience.
7 - it's fun, the orcish assassins make the battle interesting.
More gold for the outlaws. Level ones are okay but they need to swarm the map.
Nope.
Didn't check.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.3, Medium, 266 starting gold

2, no real challenge.

Kill bandit leader, keep orc leader alive.

Above average.

Getting to the fight. By the time I got there the orcs were just about finished off. The remaining bandits weren't much of a fight and offered some good leveling opportunities. I never had any units in real danger.

Start the orcs a little further away so they don't take so much of the brunt of the battle.

No.

Looks good. Nice comment block at begging again.
Attachments
(23.58 KiB) Downloaded 921 times
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Hard, 1.9+svn

4. Slightly harder than the first scenario, mainly because you worry about letting the orcs die, but still quite easy.

I'd have liked for it to be slightly more obvious that I had to keep the allied leader alive. It didn't seem warranted by the dialogue. I didn't have any trouble with it, but it kind of surprised me that it was the case.

It's quite good. I like the world-building done as we learn the Alliance contains orcs and the outlaw dialogue is well written. But again, I think it needs to be better explained that the orc must stay alive.

None.

7. Maybe I just like easy scenarios, but I enjoyed it.

Add a bit of dialogue (see above).

No.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
santosis

Post by santosis »

Medium 1.8.5

6 - No real chance for me to lose this one. It was more a matter of maximizing XP and not loosing any units.

Quite clear - Go kill the punk, don't let the other fool die.

Um, it did seem strange that an orc was working with the "good guys."

Again, not getting anyone killed. I started with just over 300 gold and will carry 252 into the next scenario. I took my units over the mountains; I did not lose any units and leveled a Steelclad.

8 - Go. Kill. Roar.

I would leave it as is.

Got too aggressive with my griffin.
Etheri

Post by Etheri »

Challenging 1.8.4

5. Once my brain learned how to cope with the absence of saveloading and kicked into gear.

Exceptionally clear.

I liked the circumstance of being forced into an alliance with the orcs. However, there was nothing in the dialog to give an indication that the orc leader needed to stay alive.

Keeping suicide mc stabby stab from going skinny dipping. Frankly, I think the alliance would have been better served if I had let this mentally challenged leader quietly disappear. Even on my successful attempt, right after I got everything under control, he decided to take on 2x L2s from a river tile then retreat to a 65% ctk tile the following turn, luck was in my favour though :)

Rather than making orc leader dying a loss condition, the runemaster should give mr. wet behind the ears an admonishment about the importance of serving the alliance well. (EDIT: Maybe not :P)

Reloaded to the start a few times, no saveloading.
Orc leader charging bravely into battle
The orc player army getting annihilated in the first battle, until I learned how to cope with them getting trashed.
Trying to repeatedly take and hold the forward mountain position past the river (since this is what I did on medium), which cannot work unless the orc player does well in the initial battle.

Don't know WML.
Attachments
(24.79 KiB) Downloaded 898 times
Yrth

Post by Yrth »

Hard, 1.8.5

5, if you start with some leveled units and with the right strategy

Not very, you have to learn from bad experienced that you have to protect your ally

Clear, nice twist allying with the orcs

Forming a good strategy, dividing your army into a sufficiently strong support to your ally and a task force to dispatch the leader

no proposal

Leaving my ally unsupported

Ferox

Post by Ferox »

Easy on 1.9.2
Crystal
8/10
Other than losing maybe one unit, none.
8.5/10 Playing with the Orcs was awesome. I would love to see it included in later campaigns.
Make the orcs just slightly weaker. I barely had anyone to fight.
No