Scenario Review: THoT 1 - At the East Gate

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Hammer of Thursagan.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: THoT 1 - At the East Gate

Post by Content Feedback »

This is the scenario The Hammer of Thursagan campaign begins with. If you've recently played this scenario, please tell us your thoughts about it.

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
slafochmed

Re: Scenario Review: THoT 1 - At the East Gate

Post by slafochmed »

Normal.

Easy.

Very clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Very good.

None.

It's great. Good to know the dwarven units.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
I do not know the Language but I think the scenario is well described.

Thanks, the campaign is fun.
Tapsa

Post by Tapsa »

Normal.

Very easy.

They were clear

Good

None

I would give 6 because there were nothing new in the scenario

I would have made more varied terrain

None

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
I don't know about WML (yet)
404 Signature not found
WarHamster

Post by WarHamster »

Note: I'm a new player, having only played Battle for Wesnoth for a week (or so) now, this being my third campaign (3rd campaign I've started, that is - still playing them all). However, I'm a relatively seasoned strategy gamer, so maybe my past experience with TBS games will make up (at least somewhat) for my lack in this one. Enough babbling, onwards!

Normal.

Not difficult at all, it was easy. (NB: I'll forgo using numerical ratings and use verbal ones instead. Sorry, but verbal ratings suit me better.)

Clear, no problems there.

I liked the dialog and story, they were written well (not that there is a lot of it, as this is quite a short scenario, but nonetheless).

No major challenges, really. This was the first time I played with the dwarves, so learning their abilities was my biggest challenge here. (Me likes them dwarves. Was fun playing with them :))

6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
I had fun. It draws you in on the campaign's storyline pretty well. A nice quick scenario to start a campaign. I like it, that one doesn't have to start with a massive and complicated battle at the start.

Can't think of any.

Nope.

Don't know it, sorry.
gryfyn1

Post by gryfyn1 »

very easy, though it is the 1st one , 2

Very

story was a good set up for the camp.

none

7, basic playing, good set-up

perhap hidden enemies or special rewards

None

?
chaoticwanderer

Post by chaoticwanderer »

(1) Normal
(2) Difficulty-6
(3) The objectives were very clear
(4) Story and dialog were good for the most part, but it seems unclear what time period this takes place in
(5) None really
(6) Funness-9
(7) No changes I can think of
(8) Nothing caused me to restart
The RNG helps those who help themselves.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Lord (Challenging) 1.5.7

5. Not too hard, but the lack of good defense for dwarves (30% except to the far south) meant having to be careful.

Crystal.

Simple really, though it is the setup for a much broader plot though so it did not have to be in depth.

None.

5. While nothing unique or special, I do like the simple nature of move to battle against the enemy.

Vary the terrain a bit, or have the river play a larger role in the battle by moving it a bit closer.

Archers getting all their hits in on my leader.

Looks fine to me.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
zaimoni

Post by zaimoni »

Mythological wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Easy, Hard. [Wesnoth 1.6.2.]
Mythological wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
2. It was almost trivial to level up Aiglondur while making him completely uninteresting to the AI even on Hard.
Mythological wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Transparent.
Mythological wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I wouldn't be changing the dialog/storyline.
Mythological wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
It took a while to work out how to make village capturing through turn 5 robust against Quick/non-Quick recruits.
Mythological wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
It has decent replay value, but as the first scenario it can't be too difficult. 7.
Mythological wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Easy: force the gryphon rider to be Quick as well as Loyal (this really does make the whole campaign easier).
Hard: force the gryphon rider to not be Quick.
Mythological wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No. I'm not sure it's reasonable to make this a realistic possibility on Hard (with decent positioning) while retaining proper dramatic arrangement in the campaign.
Mythological wrote:(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Yes, it is clear and well-commented.
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Lord, 1.8.1
(2) 6
(3) Clear
(4) Fine.
(5) No natural defensive terrain for the dwarves in the centre of the map; I tried luring them onto the south hills but they wouldn't attack. As a result of heading that way, I didn't have a lot of time to spare, killing the enemy leader with only a few turns to go. Also, with no mobile healing, slow units took a while to send to villages and then get back, so it took a longer than usual regrouping phase to heal up and keep dealing with enemy reinforcements before pressing on to their camp.
(6) 7
(7) -
(8) No.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

challenging; 1.8.3

Clear.

Good writing.

Dwarves wind up fighting in the open, where they get chewed up pretty badly.

Fine as is.

Death of leader caused me to restart the scenario.

N/A
Attachments
THoT-At_The_East_Gate_replay.gz
(15.93 KiB) Downloaded 973 times
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Mythological wrote:This is the scenario The Hammer of Thursagan campaign begins with. If you've recently played this scenario, please tell us your thoughts about it.

Normal 1.8.3
3 - It was a bit awkward almost constantly staying on 30% def, but dwarves still rock orcs. Finished it without much trouble.
Clear.
Good as is. It's fine for a starting scenario.
Getting enough kills and properly defending myself.
6 - this is a good intro scenario, but it's just a 1v1 fight.
Good as is.
Nope.
Didn't check.
Lol zookeeper, that PM just reminded my that I needed to finish these for this campaign! :D
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.3, Medium

Kill bad leader.

Good.

Learning to play dwarves.

Nothing comes to mind.

I had a couple bad starts, mainly getting used to dwarves and being too aggressive (I seem to say this a lot...). Then I was too conservative and ran out of time - it can take a couple turns getting across the river if you are unlucky.

It has a nice comment block at the beginning describing the scenario.
Attachments
THoT-At_The_East_Gate_replay.gz
(16.83 KiB) Downloaded 932 times
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Hard, 1.9+svn

Very. Kill enemy leader scenarios are nicely unambiguous.

Short but sweet.

Not any really.

6. Nice relaxing intro to the campaign, nothing to get excited about but that's probably a good thing.

I'm not sure it's quite hard enough on Hard, though I have been playing for a long time so maybe I just shouldn't play intermediate campaigns.

No.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
santosis

Post by santosis »

Medium 1.8.5

3 - Nice simple first board.

Quite clear - Go kill the punk.

Nice interest at the end of the scenario; perhaps the dying orc could end with some kind of menacing "you'll never stop us..."

I moved my army south through the mountains. I lost a few soldiers, but leveled a stalwart, a pathfinder, and my leader. I finished in 20 rounds and have 307 gold for "Strange Allies."

8 - A nice, simple, kill'em all to start the campaign.

I would leave it as is.

Nope.
Yrth

Post by Yrth »

Hard 1.85

8, You not only have to succeed but cannot accept heavy losses. Otherwise the next szenarios will be really difficult. I tried several times but some luck seems to me a precondition here.

Very

Clear, start of the story is not impressing but o.k.

As mentioned under 2, killing the leader can be managed with a good strategy but achieving this with a few leveled units is quite hard.

A more dramatic dialog for the campaign start

First I played too defensive and ran out of time. Then I lost too many units.