Scenario Review: DiD 3 - A Haunting in Winter

Feedback for the mainline campaign Descent into Darkness.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

santosis

Re: Scenario Review: DiD 3 - A Haunting in Winter

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Challenging (medium) 1.8.5

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
6 - A few twists early, but then it was simply decimating the dwarves while they tried to cross the swamp

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear, search cave and kill anything that moves.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Nobody likes the undead? Who'da thunk it.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
I had some positioning issues early, nothing major.

I finished in round 27/34, with 190 gold. I'll carry 123 gold over to the next scenario. I have a feeling I should have earned more gold and worked faster, I might have to replay this one.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
8 - I liked this one.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Few bad decisions early.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Normal (Challenging), 1.8.5

3. No real threats.

Perfectly clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Solid all-around.

None.

3. It was a bit of a slog, and the silly ghost made the mistake of betraying right beside my two necromancers.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I might remove the "make sure to keep control of your souls" dialogue entirely, just to make it more surprising later.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Nope.
GagarinGambit

Post by GagarinGambit »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Hard 1.8.4

5, average

They're not clear enough: I though I had to kill all enemy units, but it was proved that all I had to do was defeat the enemy leaders.

It's not as good as in the previous scenarios, but it's still good and clear.

Inflicting heavy damage to the dwarves. Ghosts excel against them, but they take too long to take them down which means it takes longer to win this scenario (poison is very helpful, but ghouls move too slow).

8, very fun. The map is well designed, there's a good mix of enemy units, and the undead rebel event also adds to the fun. In general I have a very good time during this campaign.

Other than clearer objectives (defeat all enemy leaders) none, it's already very good.

None
Linux. Space technology.
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

1.9.6, Hard, 206gp, no reloads.

"5"
Hard to imagine how could I win w/o Volk though

0 losses, 23 kills. Finished on turn 28/32. Looks like I've been a bit lucky in a few spots.

I like everything I've seen so far, so assume it's great unless I post something later

getting used to undead, develop a feeling of these troops... dealing with thunderers is a particular example where I was was not sure what are the right troops against them

"8"
the map is good by itself, and the story just adds to that. The "tortured soul" event is great!

I hesitated to push forward during my first try, so ended up overwhelmed by enemies at the beginning of the cave. Next attempt I recruited two keeps and rushed to kill the bandits, worked well.
Attachments
DiD-A_Haunting_in_Winter_replay.gz
(45.75 KiB) Downloaded 893 times
ayearhasgone

Post by ayearhasgone »

Medium, 1.9

Clear

Interesting

Leveling ghosts, which is extremely important for survival in the next scenario. If you don't walk away with at least three shadows, you are dead meat.

The strategy was pretty straightforward. Use ghosts to break through the guardsman and head north of the main cavern. A small group of ground forces, mostly ghouls with the help of some ghosts, took care of the bandit forces. It is imperative that you use ghosts to catch dwarves in the swamp to the north. As I said before, you need three shadows to survive the next scenario. I had the option of following the stream and assassinating the dwarf leader, but I didn't do it because I needed to milk XP for all it was worth. It was several turns of slugging it out in the swamp.

None

Didn't level enough ghosts on the first try.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
n/a
DarkenedDay

Post by DarkenedDay »

(1)What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
I did normal on version 1.8.5
(2)How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
not very difficult
(3)How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
very clear
(4)How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
okay, was good for later though
(5)What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
i did without shadow, though would be good to get one and one wraith, and to be honest i didn't have any
(6)How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7, i really enjoyed
(7)What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
something better than dwarves, elves or humans maybe, or let dwarves recruit 2's
(8)Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
no
(9)If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
:eng: and i dont know markup language
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

normal 1.10.2
100%
Good, i like how the necromancer informs merlal they the dwarves "left them no choice," even though they did have a choice to seek shelter elsewhere.
Getting enough units across the swamp in time. Ghosts were a real help here.
I'm not so sure about this rebel ghost, is he triggered just randomly? There should at least be a legitimate reason, or else it feels like i'm forced to be playing a bafoon, who will make mistakes regardless of how i'm playing as him.
No
Fate is against me.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

(1) Normal, 1.10.2
(2) 4
(3) They were okay, but I wasn't quite sure whether or not I needed to kill the dwarves or not.
(4) Clear, but I didn't find it very interesting.
(5) When the ghost turned, that was an issue. Primarily because he had 27 xp. Trying to find a Shadow was NOT fun. (Well, maybe it was a little)
(6) 6
(7) Maybe give a little interaction between the Dwarves and the Outlaws. Give them more gold to compensate, or something like that.
(8) No.
(9) Haven't looked yet. (will edit when I do)
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Zlob

Post by Zlob »

--- Summoner (difficult), 1.10.1
--- Clear.
--- I liked the dwarf guarding the entrance ^_^
--- No such challanges.
--- A dialogue between dwarf leader and Malin/Darken? Oh, please. I know I asked for it in previous scenario :cry:
--- Nothing.
PS. There is no replay because it got corrupt :<
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium/Hard
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
7 - Winnable without recruiting or recalling, but then very tight on time.
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Quite clear, but you don't need to kill every enemy unit to win - it suffices to kill their leaders.
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The dialog is quite entertaining as Darken Volk brainwashes Malin Keshar.
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Time is tight, and enemy units easily slow your advance in the narrow passages. The rebel ghost makes for quite an interesting twist.
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
-
Content Feedback wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Content Feedback wrote:(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Summoner (Difficult), 1.11.2

It says "Clear the caves of enemies", but I only defeated the two leaders. There were two dwarves left.

Great. Maybe Malin could show a little more resistance to the idea of murdering the bandits?

Dealing with the human outlaws quickly so I wouldn't get sand-witched between them and their dwarven allies.

None.

Lost once due to the death of Darken Volk and restarted from the beginning.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Looks OK.
Attachments
(29.39 KiB) Downloaded 742 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

1.10.2 Summoner (difficult) – no reloads

4/10

Very clear.

Good.

Leveling my craptastic hero. I spent some attempts and tried to make ghouls work, but they just suck. After that I switched to pure ghost and the scenario turned out to be trivial.

7/10 A good scenario. Dungeon crawls tend to be tedious, but this one was enjoyable. The rebellion was nice.

The dwarf should recruit guardsmen.

Weakling leader died. Wrong unit composition.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Level, version, gold? Hard, 1.11.15, 241 starting gold.
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 6 or 7.
(3) Objectives? If I only have the kill the leaders, then it's not real clear.
(4) Dialog? Okay.
(5) Challenges? The rebellion is the only real challenge.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 9, very well designed, good replayability.
(7) Changes? Nothing major needed. I see you added guardsmen as per the above feedback.
(8) Restarts? I lost a couple of times, mostly due to carelessness, restarted from start. No save-reloads.
Attachments
(51.03 KiB) Downloaded 688 times
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

1.10.4, hard (Summoner), 245 starting gold

3. Went all ghosts and leveled several.

"Clear the cave of enemies" usually means you have to kill every unit, but you only need to kill the leaders.

Fine.

None if you use all ghosts, and there is no reason not to.

9. Very fun; great scenario for leveling ghosts!

Make it so only one ghosts rebels, and that's it. Otherwise the rebelling ghosts may be too far to reach which is a frustrating and nasty surprise.
I was lucky enough to have the rebelling ghost be an already wounded unit close to my other ones.

None.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

Hard 1.12.0
6 to survive. 8 to maximize the scenario.
Clear.
Shows how low the reputation of the undead is even among dwarves. Interesting to learn that ghosts are a bit harder to control than your average undead, and that a ghost can escape.
the challenge is how to deal with the dwarves and the bandits all at the same time (due to the turn limit you have to start working on both sides) while a rebellious ghost suddenly turns on you.
This is where the campaign really starts to get interesting. 9. By far one of the most interesting scenarios in the entire campaign. Really interesting map design with many features to exploit, such as the swamp and the alternative path to the dwarf leader, etc. Showcases how to make the most of units that are mobile.
None.
Yes it is hard to predict which ghost will suddenly turn. Also it took me a while to figure out the most effective strategy. In the end I realized that a full recruit of ghosts was actually a good choice in the first turn. Also, how to effectively use ghosts to slaughter the enemy while keeping them safe was something I had to master because the ghosts are so fragile with their low hitpoints. I had to restart couple of times because I lost too many shadows.
I dont know WML.
Replay:
(38.62 KiB) Downloaded 768 times
Last edited by max_torch on August 15th, 2021, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.