Scenario Review: DiD 3 - A Haunting in Winter

Feedback for the mainline campaign Descent into Darkness.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: DiD 3 - A Haunting in Winter

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
miekka

Re: Scenario Review: DiD 3 - A Haunting in Winter

Post by miekka »

1. easy
2. 4, they don't recruit enough to match my army
3. kill enemies when you find them, piece of cake
4. good as before
5. Getting Malin to lvl up NOW
6. 6
7. none
8. nope
Loci

Post by Loci »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Challenging (the middle one), 1.5.4

4 -- assuming you get lucky when/where your ghost rebels

"Clear the cave of enemies" really means "defeat enemy leaders"

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The dialog was good, though I'm unclear on why the dwarves and outlaws are cooperating...

First time through, my ghost camped near the dwarf leader decided to rebel. This put me in a very frustrating position where I had no chance to win, which I realized only after I lost the autosaves before the "rebellion". Second time through I kept all my troops on a tight leash until after the rebellion.

5 -- fix the rebellion code and it would rate higher

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
To make the scenario possible without foreknowledge of the rebellion, try limiting the distance from the rebelling unit to the player's leader. It would also appear that the rebelling leader did not move directly toward my leader, and the rebelling units didn't move or attack as I expected them to.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Long distance rebellion--see above.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Seems fine to me.
qemqemqem

Post by qemqemqem »

Easiest - 1.4.5
3 - the time limit makes it more difficult if you play without ghosts.
Clear
There could have been more dialog to show at least a little bit of reservation about murdering the dwarves. It was also unclear why the dwarves and bandits were together. If the dwarves were on your side initially and then betrayed the undead, that would be a more interesting story, and it would be a bit more believable.
At first I played with lots of ghouls, having been convinced that all ghosts would eventually betray me. They are too slow to clear out the cave in time.
6. Fun but standard.
Do something to make Malin seem a little repentant about killing everyone. If the dwarves initially agreed to an alliance and then betrayed you, that would be really interesting.
I forced an army of ghouls through the swamp, and needed 1 more turn to kill the last guy. Had to replay :(
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
n/a
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

qemqemqem wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
There could have been more dialog to show at least a little bit of reservation about murdering the dwarves. It was also unclear why the dwarves and bandits were together. If the dwarves were on your side initially and then betrayed the undead, that would be a more interesting story, and it would be a bit more believable.
Check the manual. tl;dr: Dwarves were at first commonly disliked in Wesnoth and had to claw their way into being a strong power. Bandits are also generally disliked in Wesnoth, and they are good at guarding areas the dwarves don't like to occupy e.g. forests and plains, so dwarves as a whole show great sympathy towards any outlaws who come their way. Their retreat into the cave can be explained by the same winter that's pushing Malin and Darken Volk into the cave.
Shameless Crossover Excuse
Necromancer (campaign)

You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it.
blue

Post by blue »

1. Evoker (challenging) 1.6.4
2. 4 might have been tougher if my lvl 2 wraith was the rebel instead of the lvl 1 ghost
3. Crystal clear
4. Very nice and clear
5. None
6. 9 the rebelling ghost is a nice touch
7. none
8. none
Benefuchs

Post by Benefuchs »

(1) medium, 1.6
(2) 3
(3) rather clear. OK, it sounded like I had to kill everyone not just the leaders, but the difference isn't that big.
(4) OK. "everybody hates me, so I have to fight everyone"
(5) well, leveling ghosts and bats is challenging in general.
(6) 7. that rebellion was a nice idea.
(7) no idea
(8) no.
(9) N/A
nils78

Post by nils78 »

1) Neophyte (normal)/1.5.6
2) 2
3) totally clear
4) Well, so, so, not really that interesting.
5) None
6) 5
7) Unclear, but probably enough enemies so that I can't just walk through with a legion of ghosts and no actual strategy. Also, the dwarves where a total massacre. My ghosts could kill them off, one by one, while they were wading through the water. I don't know exactly how, but somehow the map would have to be adjusted.
8) Not directly losing, but at some point I restarted to use an army entirely of ghosts. My original mixed army arrived after the ghosts had killed everyone (thereby wasting a lot of gold).
xanthan

Post by xanthan »

normal - 1.6.5

clear

fine

no major challenges

10 Great fun! It's informative and interesting to be on the other side of the undead for a change.

no changes

no

Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

difficult (hard); 1.8.3; 254 starting gold

9+ if you recruit no ghost or one ghost, 7 if you recruit five ghosts.

Not clear. I killed the last enemy leader when there was still remaining a critically wounded thundersticker, not realizing that the objectives lied in saying that I needed to clear the cave.

Okay. Getting a little campy.

I didn't read the walkthrough at first, so I did the natural thing and recruited one ghost. (It's not natural to recruit more than one, given the warning about rebellion that you get.) The ghost rebelled and I had no chance to catch it. It went running off to the outlaw base and sat on his keep. By the time I killed him, my forces were a bat and my two starting units, which succumbed on the next turn. So then I did the natural thing and recruited no ghosts. (Because I thought all ghosts would all rebel, not just one.) This led to me being blockaded in the starting passage for too long a time. After repeated failures, I finally broke down and read the walkthrough. Then I bought five ghosts and it was relatively easy. I wonder if this means ghosts are underpriced, since they are still worthwhile if you lose one for every five you buy?

7 or 8. It was quite fun the first time, very chaotic.

Make the rebel ghost attack rather than run away.

Lots of death-of-necromancer and restarts from turn 1.

Clear and well.
Attachments
DID-A_Haunting_in_Winter_replay.gz
(48.38 KiB) Downloaded 1034 times
Schierke

Post by Schierke »

1.8.3 Hard.

5 (just to finish it) and 7 (finish it the way i wanted).

Leave no one alive, clear enough.

I liked the thing about the Ghost rebeling, and the mention that many necromancer had died from their own creations.

Thugs hit Ghosts hard and the outlaw archers don't allow them to use drain, so it was hard to keep all Ghosts alive, plus you need to hurry at the entrance or you are in risk of getting stalled and unable to break out fast enough. Also, i had bad luck a few times with the Ghost with the most exp rebeling and the outlaw leader hits really hard.

7, a nice challenge and different experience from most campaing missions.

Nothing, is great.

I restarted from turn 1 a lot times, for losing Ghosts, the wrong Ghost rebeling or one my necromancers getting killed.

In the end, i managed to end the scenario with two Wraiths, two Shadows and a Ghost with some experience (i recruited that fifth one in the outlaw's keep).

N/A.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.3, Hard, 235 starting gold.

7. Not counting getting lucky/unlucky with rebelling ghost, which can pretty much make it impossible first time it happens.

Clear.

Good.

You really have to push hard to get past first tunnel or you just get chewed up on time. Getting into the NE area isn't easy either.

The rebelling ghost is, simply put, a screw-over if you are unlucky.

4. It's late and I'm tired.

The rebelling ghost is currently overkill. I think you just have it attack and drop all the another ghost rebells each turn, which puts way too much luck into play.

Got killed many times until I read wiki and figured out I had to push fast into opening cavern.

Couple times SW leader combined with another unit to killed one of my necromancers in one turn.

Finally, I got to final dwarf leader and died after my two necromancers couldn't hit in 6 tries at 70% and he finally killed Milan. No I didn't restart from turn 1.

It's pretty poorly commented. The whole rebelling ghost isn't very well documented - just snippets here and there. And what the heck is [time_area]?
Attachments
DID-A_Haunting_in_Winter_replay.gz
(36.41 KiB) Downloaded 953 times
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Thrash wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

Got killed many times until I read wiki and figured out I had to push fast into opening cavern.
You're welcome. (I wrote that part of the Wiki entry. Here is the old version before my edits. And the current version.)
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

I don't see what is the purpose of a lone Dwarf near the entry.
It won't matter if I don't kill him, right?
And the "dwarvish trigger" triggers only when I see other dwarves; but the dwarf attacks before trigger.
That's confusing.
vcap

Post by vcap »

singalen wrote:I don't see what is the purpose of a lone Dwarf near the entry.
It won't matter if I don't kill him, right?
If i am not mistaken you only need to kill the leaders, actually. The dwarf will still try to kill you nonetheless, though.
singalen wrote:And the "dwarvish trigger" triggers only when I see other dwarves; but the dwarf attacks before trigger.
That's confusing.
I think this is because the game's handling of the "sighted" event is a little buggy. It is only triggered when it is your turn. So, if the dwarf comes into range during his own turn, nothing will happen.