Scenario 22: Face of the Enemy

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

santosis

Re: Scenario 22: Face of the Enemy

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.8.5

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Go get'em.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Solid.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
6 - It winds things up quickly.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
After such a long campaign, this is a nice finish. There's no need to "Hammer of Thursagan" this and make a 4 hour final scenario.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Yrth

Post by Yrth »

I like to comment on the campaign as a whole which I played on hard, 1.8.5. The campaign is classified as medium. However, there were 3-4 scenarios only which I wouldn't call easy and which forced me to reconsider my strategy after a failed attempt. From my point of view the campaign is easier than "Heir to the Throne" which is classified as easy and cannot be compared in any way (in terms of difficulty) with "Legend of Wesmere" which is classified as medium but actually is really hard at "hard". I suppose it makes no sense to increase the difficulty for the majority of scenarios but at least the classification should be changed into easy.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Campaign Feedback wrote: 1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
1. Easy
2. 4
3. Very
4. Very clear, not very interesting though
5. None
6. 3
7. Up the difficulty. By this time, I had a shyde, a sylph, Delfador level 4, etc., so it was easy to crush a handful of skeletons.
8. Nope
9. ...
Attachments
DM-Face_of_the_Enemy_replay.gz
(23.11 KiB) Downloaded 857 times
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
dsa

Post by dsa »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Hard, 1.9.3

2, all in all I fought just four enemy units during the whole scenario.

Clear

In regard to the whole campaign: All in all a good prequel and transition to HttT.

None

4, the difficulty is just a joke; the most disappointing final scenario in Wesnoth I played so far.

Double or even triple the amount of gold for the enemy.

No.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

medium, 1.9.4

1, even without any additional units Delfador just soloed the whole map with a little healing aid

clear as a spoiler

clear, fun storywise, but seeing the map spoils the atmosphere

I didn't recruit nor recall any units, and still the only challenging bit was when a skeleton rider reached me when I didn't hold a narrow point

2, the story is almost all it offers

add shroud, don't make it obvious from the start that Sagus has become a lich, restrict the number of units availible to recall, don't allow recruiting new ones at all (the ai doesn't get a chance to recruit any new ones before it loses anyway)

no

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
it's clear and tidy, not commented at all, but simple enough not to require that
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Challenging, 1.9.4 (100 gold again)

2: What the heck? Isn't this suppose to be the final scenario?

So clear, it's a spoiler.

It's good, but the creator needs to learn that talking through fog is garbage :eng:

I think I found a spelling mistake, Kalenz says "I fear we may need it [H]ere long."

None. Absolutely none!

1: I was expecting a much harder scenario.

See my version below ;)

No.

It's OK.

(10) How well did you find the map for the scenario?
It's alright.
=====================
Below is the replay, and my personal redo of this scenario. (Which I made a couple months ago :whistle: ) It should work on 1.9, and I would appreciate some feedback on it (You can send feedback via PM.) If you don't have a saved game, you can just go to my replay (Or anybody else's) of Clash at the manor save the game mid replay and then win it yourself.
Attachments
22_Face_of_the_Enemy.map
The map which goes with the cfg.
(11.81 KiB) Downloaded 873 times
22_Face_of_the_Enemy.cfg
The scenario file.
(16.16 KiB) Downloaded 995 times
Here's the replay, not much to see though :P
(25.42 KiB) Downloaded 1049 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Pewskeepski wrote: I think I found a spelling mistake, Kalenz says "I fear we may need it [H]ere long."
It's no mistake. "Ere" is an archaic word that means before. A modern speaker would say something more like, "I'm afraid we'll need it soon."
Katz

Post by Katz »

Medium
1 - Way too easy. As mentioned before, the enemy recruits 3 units. Combined with the chokepoints and the fact this is the last scenario, so we have plenty of lvl 3 units, it is very easy.
Clear
Fine
None whatsoever...
1 - Too easy to be much fun.
Several possibilities:
Add more enemies. Seeing how the map is all in chokepoints, giving the enemy leader much more gold would work. Or giving him a higher income so enemies don't all come at once.
Add more events. There are meny rooms in this map. Most are completely empty. Having enemies spawn in them randomly as the heroes progress would make for attacks on their back. It might not be difficult if using the chokepoints right, but it would be more interesting, at least!
Add another castle, with another leader. That one might not require killing, but he would provide other enemies coming in the heroes' back.
Nope
NA
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Normal 1.10.2
Difficulty: 2
Objectives: 100% clear
Storyline: Nice to see an old face reappear, that always makes a storyline better.
Challenges: Pretty much none. After i entered the first room, i fought a few skeles and ghosts coming up the hallway, the a few more once i got down the hallway. Other than that all the other rooms were empty, so i just casually walked through to the lich. It seems kind of weird to build this whole big maze without populating it. I guess the only challenge was that my healer was flying too fast through the empty rooms for my damaged units to catch up and get healed, lol.
Fun: 7
Changes: Maybe instead of having an enemy recruit some units to fling at you and then wait for you to come down and kill him, you could get rid of his castle and instead have some scattered undead guarding each room, so you have to fight your way to him, and the full map gets used.
Reloads: none
Fate is against me.
The_Afterman

Post by The_Afterman »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Easy
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 3
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? 10
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? 4, seemed random and added-on after most of the campaign is about other things.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Rushing in with non-important guys. :p
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 3
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? A girl to rescue and fall in love with Delfador.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? No.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Great Mage (Difficult), 1.10.3 - The last few scenarios with the elves are very fast paced and not very difficult. (I mean, I am happy with quick skirmishes, but why the frantic levelling of units in the first half of the campaign when the second half is exclusively played in 100 gold scenarios against half a dozen enemy L3 units?) The dialog of this scenario is incomprehensible for players who didn't play HttT. E.g. the rightful heir, what? Isn't that Eldred? Eldred never plays a role in HttT, but Asheviere and Lisar do. Why not introduce them? Sagus, who? (It is not that there was a lack of mages in this campaign, but Sagus afaik never appeared before.) The book of Crelanu... why did the book which was handed to Delfador in person ever fall in the hands of Asheviere? Was it too heavy to carry? Even the talk about riding long ways is odd, when I had at least two silver mages just the scenario before (even if it is a long time later). I guess most of these story problems aren't the fault of Delfadors Memoirs but result from the forced adaptation to the storyline of HttT. Either way, thank you for a great campaign.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
roidanton

Post by roidanton »

Just finished this campaign on Medium, 1.10.4. - and while this campaign as a whole was one of the best that I ever played, I was very disappointed by the last three scenarios. Starting with Prince of Wesnoth, it went downhill - and this ending, seriously ??? I actually restarted the scenario from the beginning just because I was curios whether it's possible to win it without recruiting or recalling any units - it is, see attached replay.

One of the things I liked most about this campaign were the quickly changing recall lists, always training different units. It created some unique challenges, like whether you should go for xp or the early finish bonus to start the next scenario with more gold.

And this campaign is really designed very well to handle this. For instance, there are scenarios where you're going deep into negative gold, like Save the King. But then, the next scenario is A New Ally, which allows you to easily get a huge early finish bonus if you play it well.

I had 150 gold at the beginning of Save the King, the minimum 100 at the beginning of A New Ally - and went into Portal of Doom with over 300 (recall a single Paladin for village grabbing, move Delfador into your ally's keep, recall 2 white mages when there, use Paladin to weaken enemies, Mages to finish them off for xp; the ally is strong enough to do that -> positive income and good xp for your Mages).

So it was a great campaign where you could play with Loyalists, Elves, Undead and Dwarfs.

For the finale, it simply would have expected it to be more complicated and also actually needing all those units that you spent so much time leveling.

In Prince of Wesnoth, I started with the minimum 100 gold and - after looking at the Walkthrough - recalled 4 Avengers and two Druids, moved Chantal and the Avengers into the central woods and Kalenz up together with the two Druids. However, instead of retreating them back south, I was able to just simply kill all units that were attacking me, then move them over into the central woods as well. After playing some ~10 turns, I had already forgotten about the scenario objectives, just saw two enemy keeps - thinking I have to kill both of them - and was very surprised when the scenario suddenly ended with Delfador appearing in the south.

In Clash of the Manor, I recalled both of my Sharpshooters, a Shyde and two Avengers, then split my forces up - each group got a Sharpshooter, a Shyde, and Avenger and a Leader. Then, the fleeing units were quickly dealt with, then that search was just extremely annoying. I actually stalled a few turns because I was expecting a 2nd wave, just couldn't believe that this was it already.

Then, this so called finale - well, HttT ends with this huge battle where you basically have to recall almost all of your units to win it, so I would have expected something where at least some of my veterans could actually play.

Well, maybe it was a mistake to play it on Medium, so I'll try again on Hard hoping to find a real challenge there.

There are just so many ways how this finale could be made more interesting - for instance, put some dangerous foes into some of these empty rooms. Maybe even make that fog thicker, so you can't see the structure of the maze. The way it's structured at the moment, you immediately see which stroke points you need to hold and then even the starting crew of Delfador, Kalenz and Chantal is enough to hold them. After playing it through, you don't bother looking into any of the other rooms because you know they're all empty. And the enemy commander will only have a single bodyguard once you get to him. Easy to take care of.

Maybe you could also create two enemy keeps, where it's random where the bad guy actually is and the other one spews some random undead spam that you need to deal with. Would require recalling some more troops, thus making it more interesting.
Attachments
(27.5 KiB) Downloaded 1360 times
vanatteveldt

Post by vanatteveldt »

1) Medium 1.10
(2) 1
(3) Fine
(4) Fine
(5) None
(6) 1
(7)

It needs to be much more difficult. This is the finale of the campaign. The rest of the campaign (up to the defeat of the lich) was quite nice and interesting - although easier than HttT I think. I would either remove the last three scenarios (which fill in part of the story but are not very fun playing) or make them much more challenging.

I finished the campaign with a bazillion L3 units never recalled... Some reason to recall all those units would be nice. Maybe a final fight with Asheviere?

That might be difficult to fit into the storyline, but what about something like this: Delfador comes home to witness Garald being killed. He recruits a large army together with Lionel and they march in to kill Asheviere. Half way through, Asheviere gets a big reinforcement, it is declared impossible to win (and Asheviere retreats to make sure she survives?) and the objective changes to rescue the son and escape. Make it hard enough to get to the son to make sure a major battle is needed.

flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

1.10.3 hard (Great Mage - Difficult)

Clear.

No challenges.

Meh! 3/10

It should be more challenging.

No.
Attachments
(24.17 KiB) Downloaded 680 times
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

1.10.7 - Normal

2 - Was basically a walk in the park.

Clear.

I was surprised that Sagus actually turned into a lich and that Asheviere was his daughter. So nice final story piece.

There was no challenge.

5 - Pretty straight forward and easy.

Perhaps give Sagus some stronger troops.

No.

Final Note: I think this campaign should rather be "Easy" instead of "Medium". There are so many easy scenarios that even HttT looks more difficult. I picked "Normal" because I expected a difficulty close to "Dead Water" or "Descent into Darkness" but it was pretty easy.
In my opinion this campaign is actually a good starting campaign (instead of HttT) because you get to experiment with quite a lot of different units.