Scenario 17: A New Ally

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 17: A New Ally

Post by Content Feedback »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
lotsofphil

Re: Scenario Review: DM 17 - A New Ally

Post by lotsofphil »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Medium
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? 2
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Okay.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? None, really.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? 4
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? Not have the enemy leader be so aggressive. He came out, attacked Delfador and then got killed. It took 6 turns.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? No.

This was very easy. It seemed like the skeletons were more interested in killing the dwarves than defending themselves.
Majki-Fajki

Post by Majki-Fajki »

Medium.
3 - team of mages and Undead go dead forevermore.
Very.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Nice.
Level up mages.
4 - too easy.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make it harder. Add another necromancer maybe?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
None.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Great Mage, 1.8.0
(2) 2
(3) Clear.
(4) Fine.
(5) None.
(6) 4
(7) A larger army - for both the player and the undead enemy - would make it more interesting. Just lack of numbers makes the undead enemy vulnerable to Delfador in particular.
(8) No.
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

1) Medium
(2) 4. I had enough money and spellcasters so that the undead never had a chance
(3) very clear
(4) Not really interesting.
(5) No challenge at all
(6) 4. A generic undead stomping quest
(7) Maybe an opponent that actually is a challenge? he recruits just whimps compared to what I had on display
(8) No

A Footnote: I think the whole "go through the dwarven tunnels" scenario is a bit rushed. Maybe one or two scenarios more and omitting the final scenarios instead would have been better
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.2, Mage (Normal/Medium/whatever you call it)

1 – at first it seemed like I might end up my own since the dwarves have no good cover and level 1s against level 2s it should’ve been a one-sided battle. It was, but not the way I imagined – with several white mages + Delfador + an Arch Mage/Sorceress it was a walk in the park

Clear

Fine, but I couldn’t understand why a random level 1 dwarf needs to survive along with the dwarf leader. Turns out the seemingly-random dwarf is the son of the dwarf lord. Was there a hint at the start about this that I missed?

Main challenge – managing to level up one of my Knights into a Paladin. I succeeded! Secondary challenge – bad luck.

4 – too easy

More gold for both dwarves and undead, to make it more of a fight.

No
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Kallikanzarid

Post by Kallikanzarid »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium

2 — The Undead here was very weak.

Crystal clear.

Delfador had cemented his title of Mary Sue, which made the storyline boooooring.

None.

3 — a bit too easy.

Make it more difficult and consider a rewrite of Delfador's character.

Nope.
if C did not exist, it would be necessary to invent it.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Most difficult; 1.8.3; 100 starting gold

Relgorn? I had to look around to find him. Shouldn't he have a silver crown to distinguish him from all the other level 1 dwarvish fighters? Why should I lose if this kid with gray hair dies?

Okay.

To be safe, you need a two pronged attack: one on the undead leader, and one on the troops that are threatening the two critical dwarves.

6. I liked the map layout, but the battle is too small.

Having the undead leader spawn a Walking Corpse or two each turn after the initial recruitment might make it more of a challenge. Maybe zero per turn on easy, one per turn on medium, and two per turn on hard. The idea is that this would make it harder to kill the leader, as you would have to waste attacks on Walking Corpses or risk counterattacks from Walking Corpses, plus they would take up hexes that the player would like to attack from.

Have Relgorn say, "Father," before his line, so we at least have some clue as to why he's important.

One of the things I don't like about this campaign is that I always go "WTH?" when I look at my recall list. What happened to my Mage of Light? What's this Arch Mage doing here? I think I vaguely remember an AI-controlled ally leveling up a Red Mage to Arch Mage in one scenario long ago, so that might be it. Why do I have a White Mage with no attributes? Why do I have a zillion White Mages on my recall list? There's just so many discontinuities in the recall list that it's hard to keep track and hard to be excited about promoting units.

No.
Attachments
DM-A_New_Ally_replay.gz
(32.93 KiB) Downloaded 1148 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.4, Hard, 100 starting gold

2, the enemy is strong but few in numbers. Their only real threat is Banebows can do a lot of damage if they gang up (which happens when your paladin misses 5 times at 60%!). The dwarves do a lot of work (and would do even more if they weren't so interested in collecting meaningless villages.)

I just barely caught the fact I had to keep Relgorn alive. Didn't turn out to be an issue, but surprised me when I saw it - "who the heck is relgorn?" I had to replay the intro to figure it out as it went clear by me first time. Be good to make sure that is more obvious.

Play up Relgorn's role.

Not losing units to Banebows and enemy leader attacks.

7. Short and sweet.

Have the dwarves focus on the enemy instead of villages and make the enemy stronger if needed. These are dwarves, they should be fighting not village habitating!

No, but if you ask me "would I have restarted if I lost my paladin?" my answer is "no comment"

Looks fine.
Attachments
DM-A_New_Ally_replay.gz
(33.75 KiB) Downloaded 910 times
santosis

Re: Scenario 17: A New Ally

Post by santosis »

Medium, 1.8.5

4 - My recalls were pretty powerful (2 shocktroopers, 1 white mage, 1 high xp mage, 1 high xp knight). This was a stomp.

Save the dwarf, make a friend.

Solid.

None.

I finished in round 7/32 with 0 gold and will carry 260 gold over to the next level.

5 - Its fairly quick, and seems to serve the plot (hey, dwarves, come join the good guy club). Also, I assume it is designed to help combat our poverty.

Eh, it serves a purpose as is.

No.
dsa

Post by dsa »

Hard, 1.9.3

4, as the enemy is only able to recruit seven units, he is mainly occupied with the dwarves. This gives the chance to kill the enemy units one by one. The dwarvish leader was never in danger.

Clear

Okay.

None

Less gold for the dwarves and/or more gold for the enemy.

No.
Kimnor

Post by Kimnor »

1.8.5 medium with 199 start gold

Fairly clear except why do we have to save that other Dwarf?

Could be better. I'm talking about that bit about introducing Relgorn that others have noticed. Also, I think there should be a scenario between this on and sealing the gate. It should be underground and you should get a chance to level some dwarves for he sealing the gate scenario.

Not much of a challenge. The hardest part is avoiding losing mages to the bane bows.

I'd like to see a bigger battle.

Losing mages.

I didn't look at the WML but there is something wrong. My recall list now includes a mage with no traits and a Lieutenant with no traits.

If I were reworking this campaign, I would try to resolve some of the confusion about what recall list you get. Perhaps this could be accomplished by giving dialog to some of the units that are rejoining your party. They could talk about what happened to them since we last saw them.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Challenging, 1.9.4 (119 gold)

2: Easy again. Darn. :(

Crystal clear.

They say a battle is going on even though there's just two guys sitting on their keeps :eng:

It took me a while to realize that Relgorn is the dwarf from HttT. It's cool that the developer thought to include him :)

Picking units to level up.

Give the dwarves and undead A LOT MORE gold :twisted:

Give Relgorn a silver crown.

No.

Fine.

(10) How well done did you find the map for the scenario?
Small. I'm not really liking the river for it's forded water and then all of a sudden SWOOSH... deep water.
Attachments
DM-A_New_Ally_replay.gz
(43.92 KiB) Downloaded 890 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Normal 1.10.2
Difficult: 3 (mostly because of the ally)
Objectives: 100% clear
Dialogue: okay
Challenges: trying not to lose an HI, because i was unable to recruit them.
Fun: 7
Changes: none
Reloads: I reloaded on the first turn after i found out the enemy was going to be using nothing but skeles. I went from a mixed bunch of units, to all HI's and white mages.
Fate is against me.
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

1.10.3 hard (Great Mage - Difficult)
100 gold

Clear.

None. The dwarfs were never in danger.

4/10 Not much going on.

More gold for all parties – make this a real battle!

No.
Attachments
DM-A_New_Ally_replay.gz
(38.67 KiB) Downloaded 674 times