Scenario 13: The Return of Trouble

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 13: The Return of Trouble

Post by Content Feedback »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Re: Scenario Review: DM 13 - The Return of Trouble

Post by santi »

1) hard
2)8, but I played a hacked version as shown in the replay, where I disabled L2 recruits and set the starting gold to 380
3)clear
4)clear
5)surviving by using the superior mobility to divide and conquer
6)9, I like tough scenaria with big fights
7)I think disabling L2 recruits is a good idea -the only issue is doing this on hard or also on medium
8)no
9) looks ok
Attachments
DM-The_return_of_trouble_replay.gz
(65.98 KiB) Downloaded 1123 times
lotsofphil

Post by lotsofphil »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Medium
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? 6
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Okay. I felt like the switch to being in control of Kalenz with Delfador nowhere in sight was a little sudden.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? No big ones.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? 6
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? Disable some of the L2 recruits. Have some (like druids) but not others.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? No.
Rakarei55555

Post by Rakarei55555 »

how do you beat this scenario?

all the scenarios leading up to this took me a day at most to figure out, i've been on this one for like a week. i've got 310 gold, and i'm playing medium.
Don't let anyone else
Tell you who you are
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Look at the posted replay above. It's easy on hard
Also look at my replay in http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=105
for a replay on medium. Note I only recruit Lv1 units
Rakarei55555

Post by Rakarei55555 »

your replay is corrupted
Don't let anyone else
Tell you who you are
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Can you play the latest version from svn? That should work
Rakarei55555

Post by Rakarei55555 »

what?
Don't let anyone else
Tell you who you are
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

I was just asking if you got the latest version from trunk. Meanwhile, try this: This is a savegame from the last round. Finish it, then look at the replay. Maybe that will work
Attachments
DM-The_return_of_trouble-Auto-Save20.gz
(102.73 KiB) Downloaded 1141 times
Rakarei55555

Post by Rakarei55555 »

i beat the campaign already, but thanks anyway.
Don't let anyone else
Tell you who you are
jpaulson

Post by jpaulson »

1) Medium
2) Impossible with conventional tactics (started with 310 gold). I tried 4 or 5 times and died horribly (like, 20+ orcs left alive) each and every time. I eventually beat it (with relative ease) by recruiting only sorceresses and doing a mad rush to Purple's keep. I assume this was not the intended solution...
3) Very
4) The switch from Delfador to Kalenz is abrupt. Other than that, fine.
5) See #2
6+7) At the moment, it is too hard to be fun. Enemies should be toned down (less gold and/or less assassins); Kalenz should not be able to recruit lvl 2s.
8) See #2.
9) Looks fine.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

you should take out the eastern commander first, but do not rush madly. look at the replays.
The1exile

Post by The1exile »

1) Medium, 1.8-beta3
(2) 9 at first, 5 once I realised this is a "recruit hugest blob possible and endure" type scenario.
(3) Perfectly clear.
(4) Perfectly clear, though perhaps a bit brisk. The whole point of the opening dialogue seems to be to say "here's the antagonist, here's a tiny bit of comment by Kalenz to explain why he's even here". The presence of kalenz's ally is also unexplained.
(5) Upkeep. I started with over 500 gold but unless I used it all in the first few turns recruiting as many units as possible, it would drain away and I wouldn't be able to hold out against the (finite) orc rush. Beyond that, iit was quite starightforward - destroy pink, and you can cut through the orcs by travelling through forest instead of the horrible flat/mountain terrain you start on. It's also a bit of a kick in the nuts to realise you have no recall list and Delfador is no longer present - he's such a nuke unit you really miss him when he's gone.
(6) 4. I didn't particularly enjoy the segue from the main action, but it's not a bad battle scenario.
(7) Some more story to explain the change? To be honest, the change in fighting styles is the greatest barrier to my enjoyment of this scenario (though it is still a very good campaign).
(8) Only the aforementioned lack of all out recruiting.
(9) N/A
Rubies for passion, rubies for revenge.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

What more story? In the last scenario Chantal explains she needs to go notify the elvish high command. Meanwhile, orcs have been attacking not just the wesnoth perimeter, but the elvish perimeter as well. So makes sense that the elves would send troops there to defend it. I think this is a plus for the story-explains the evnts of HttT among other things, how Delf could seal the portal and many more... But before I spoil it, try to play through the entire campaign, then see if it makes more sense. It's better than the cavalry which always arrives on time IMHO
The1exile

Post by The1exile »

I have played through the whole campaign. The main reason I ask for more story is things like this in the campaign:

"But the king did not listen to Delfador, and rode off to war.
*click next*
The king was soundly defeated.
*click next*
King: 'fiddlesticks, I should have listened to delfador'"

As I say, this scenario is still good, and in terms of overall story arc the campaign is pretty good at tying everything together. however, we go suddenly from commanding Delfador the powerful mage of doom to the relatively puny Kalenz fighting orcs for no apparent reason. I know Chantal says she's off to warn the elves, but Chantal doesn't actually speak to Kalenz until the end of the fight. It would be nice if, for example, kalenz is running some kind of training camp when the orcs arrive to attack him, and then the elvish ally comes in in the south because chantal has told him - that would be more story, and make the transition from delfador to Kalenz a lot less bumpy. When you get Delfador back later, you're able to command both guys, and that feels a lot better imo.
Rubies for passion, rubies for revenge.