Scenario 2: This Valley Belongs to Me

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 2: This Valley Belongs to Me

Post by Content Feedback »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
lotsofphil

Re: Scenario Review: DM 2 - This Valley Belongs to Me

Post by lotsofphil »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Medium
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? 3
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Just fine for a beginning.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Levelling units.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? 5
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? Have the orcs be more aggressive/more units. Maybe not if the intention is to get you rolling out of the gate.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? No.
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

Turuk wrote:1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
1) Easy.
2) 6.
3) Very.
4) Clear but not very interesting.
5) None, really.
6) 7
7) Can't think of any.
8) I was careless and Defaldor died.
9) N/A
blue

Post by blue »

1. Mage (Medium) 1.7.3version
2. 6
3. Crystal clear
4. It was okay
5. None
6. 7 nice starting scenario
7. Nothing fine as it is
8. Nope
Ilanin

Post by Ilanin »

Turuk wrote:1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.8-rc1 "Mage" (Medium)
5 or so. It's harder than many opening scenarios in that you actually have to think properly and not just blithely charge a formation into the enemy since if you do that you hit the orcs at night and get massacred.
Crystal. It's quite hard to make "kill them" confusing.
Orcs turn up, say something threatening, get kerb-stomped. Yay, I am thrilled by this positively original and radical new idea.
The day/night cycle and the map conspire to have your units first meet at dusk; delaying a serious engagement until dawn is something of a challenge.
6-7ish. It's a good map, the only real problem is how desperately unoriginal it is.
The AI recruits in a bit of a weird way, and his units get strung out because of the small castle. On the other hand, I guess the first scenario is supposed to be relatively easy.
Losing Delfador due to not paying enough attention about which mages are cannon-fodder and which aren't.
The WML is unevenly commented, all the scenario-specific things are well explained. The general setting up the map stuff is not commented at all, but is sufficiently clear and straightforward this isn't a problem. I didn't have any trouble understanding it and my grasp of WML is pretty shaky.

Edited for WML
A wose by any other name would crush your feet
bobby

Post by bobby »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Medium, 1.8.0

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 4

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Very.

It's ok. The words, something name journey, were repeated a few times in the intro and beginning of this scenario, was that supposed to be something else? It sounded strange to me.

Figuring what to do at the beginning, go up or across the river or stay put in castle.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 6

Maybe have enemy units attack together instead of coming in ones and twos, scattered all over the map grabbing villages.

Losing unit close to leveling, but I reload a lot anyway. Bad habit.
ScipioAfricanus

Post by ScipioAfricanus »

Medium, version 1.8
Very
Decent
None
The orcs talk about burning villages, so maybe part of the objective could be to keep them from controlling x number of villages
Just my own stupidity. The first time through I just charged right away and ended up meeting the orcs at night. Yeah, that didn't go so well.
N/A
Majki-Fajki

Post by Majki-Fajki »

Medium.
Average. A lot of micromanagment.
Clear.
Dull. The goblin rider have no personality - let this character say something funny (as goblins do:) I.e. "Tremble, for Mighty Goblin arrives on his horse! Wolf I mean, but it doesn't matter... Ech, what was I sain'? Nevermind - we come, we kill, we eat!"
Like I said - micromanagment and trying to get as much XP as possible.
8. I really like it - Just prefere smaller battles over big ones.
Mayby two goblins? One as a leader, second as is lieutenat:)
Bad luck.
N/A
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Hard, 1.8.0
(2) 4
(3) Clear.
(4) Quite interesting.
(5) Grogor gets plenty of gold to start, so he has the advantage of numbers early on. In the centre of the map, where I have the river for cover, the orcs are easily beaten off. But in the north-east, quite a few wolf riders cross to the north and come down via the woods, and fending those off took more than half of my army at first. Perhaps it would have been better to defend from the castle instead.

I recruited two horsemen, but lost one in the opening fight and needed the other for combat, so I couldn't do any scouting for villages at all. Grogor had plenty of income and had enough forces trickling down to keep me to the east of the river for a second night.

(6) 7
(7) It's good as it is.
(8) No.
Joram

Post by Joram »

Hard, 1.8.0

I failed once because I went across the river and ended up fighting the orcs in the forest during the night. The second try I just went north along the river and sat on the bank and let the grunts and wolves attack my spear on the bank. With the healing from Methor, I was able to take them out with minimal losses. I ended up losing 2 spearmen; one on the bank of the river (ended up dealing more than he took), and one that I left behind at the castle to slow the wolves up a bit.

Clear

(4)
How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I think that you settled Methor down a bit to early. One year isn't much time to go visit a lot of interesting places. I'd increase it a couple to make the "name journey" seem more of a big deal. As far as the actual scenario, there was nothing to recommend it. Rather standard.

Another thing: I think that the king in this campaign should be the father of the King Garad from HttT and that you should bump Delfador's birthdate back a bit. The Delfador in all of the introductory portraits looks rather older than 59.

Also, I do not think that King Garad in the campaign gives the impression of being a brand new ruler, which he is according to the official timeline.

If you make this the father of King Garad, then Delfador is comfortably in the 60-65 year old range at the start of HttT (putting him at 81 during the actual events). Sure, that is pretty old. But he's an archmage after all!

Also, I just like the idea of Delfador continuing through multiple reigns; more time for the people to "forget". As it stands now, he served the Wesnothian monarchy for one reign that was prematurely ended before the events of HttT; I think he should have a bit longer to get settled in.

(5)
What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Night fighting orcs.

8- A nice small challenge to open the campaign.

(7)
What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Can't think of any off the top of my head.

(8)
Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Other than nightfall, no.

Okay. Nothing complicated going on, so not much need for extensive documentation.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

(1) Medium
(2) 3
(3) Couldn't be much clearer... kill them all
(4) clear, but except the fact that orcs and the like are in the area there is not much in it regarding to the storyline
(5) Leveling up some units. it ist difficult to keep them alive long enough to het one or two of them to lvl 2
(6) Easy and fun. A good start for a campaign
(7) The riders talk about burning the villages. Maybe the could actually burn them to ruins? then it would be a second objective to save enough villages
(8) no
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.2, Mage (Normal/Medium/whatever you call it)

3 – if you’re careless you get in trouble, otherwise it’s really easy.

Clear.

Fine.

My own carelessness and bad planning. The fact that the first engagement with the enemy is just as night falls complicates things a little bit, but by itself it’s not a big deal (on this difficulty, anyway).

5 – just another kill them all.

None. Despite the fact it’s hardly the most original scenario in the world I think it should stay as it is.

Just my own carelessness and bad planning. I actually started over once because of it.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Hard; 1.8.3

Clear.

Meh.

Wolves' maneuvability make it a dynamic battlefield.

Have the enemy actually destroy villages upon entering, give the enemy a sizable initial income, and further boost the perceived value of capturing villages to the AI. Eliminate one of the two villages next to the castle.

No.

It's okay.
Attachments
DM-This_Valley_Belongs_to_..._replay.gz
(17.17 KiB) Downloaded 1057 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.4, Hard

7, time was tight for me.

Clear.

"Grooar! Burn! Burn! Ahahaha..." - I was expecting him to burn the village instead of just take it.

I wasn't smart enough to make a stronghold in the woods to the north, so I had wolves trickling down from that way.

Otherwise time was just tight by the time I got things under control.

Nothing comes to mind.

No.

Nothing really needs a comment.
Attachments
DM-This_Valley_Belongs_to..._replay.gz
(18.51 KiB) Downloaded 1031 times
santosis

Re: Scenario 2: This Valley Belongs to Me

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.8.5

6 - Tough for a first scenario, but certainly not impossible. I recruited only one keep's worth of units (one cavalry, one mage, 4 spearmen). I lost my mage and my cavalry, and leveled my hero and one spearman.

Kill jerkface. Got it.

I thought the master could have talked more to his student.

Keeping my hero alive against healthy numbers.

I left two spearmen in my castle to protect the flank (they killed two wolf riders), and sent the rest of my troops to hold the river. I advanced during the day.

I finished in turn 21/24, so time was tight. I will carry 112 gold over into the next scenario.

8 - Quite a fun puzzle to protect a weak hero against level ones. I would say its quite well balanced.

Nothing I can think of.

Many restarts to survive the first great wave of wolf-riders.