V1.5/1.6 - Scenario Review: LoW 21 - Elvish Assassins

Feedback for the mainline single-player campaign Legend of Wesmere.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

governor

V1.5/1.6 - Scenario Review: LoW 21 - Elvish Assassins

Post by governor »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium and Hard 1.5.6
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
9, perhaps the hardest scenario ever made due to every enemy unit on the field having extremely high def and no access to magic.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Fine
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Story starts getting 'weak' around this scenario.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Very hard to get kills since you face mostly archers with 70% def and only have access to physical attacks. Also the 12 turn time limit made the objective nearly impossible to reach.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
1 - more of a nuisance map.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Allow access to more of the established army. Change the objective to sacking 1 enemy leader in order to break the siege, perhaps convincing the other leaders to join you (with their units).
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
First few times I tried to beat the scenario by recruiting a large amount of shamans and minimizing dmg taken. Eventually I learned that I had to spend all my starting gold (4 full castle recruits) on archers with some shamans to stand a chance. Even then, I barely made the objective hitting the sign post on turn 11.
TheJM

Re: Scenario Review: LoW 21 - Elvish Assassins

Post by TheJM »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Easy on 1.5.6
Um.. 1? :P
Very clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Good, although it really hurts to not be able to recruit units you've been using for the past 15 maps..
None really, I thought this would be a lot harder than it was, I finished in four turns. It's probably quite a bit harder on medium/hard. Basically I recruited a full keep of level ones and sent my two heroes to the signpost asap.
3, I don't really care for missions like this. :/
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Eh, dunno.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Nope, although there was huge potential for that to happen..
taemyr

Post by taemyr »

Medium, 1.5.8
2, we've already done this. Recruit a screening force and run for it. Elves have far better move in forest than orcs, so no point considering how much to recruit, 1 castlefull of scouts ensures that the ai will be kept busy while I run for it.
Clear
Clear.
None.
5, far to easy but very high paced,
As for the first scenario, make a fight with the southern forces harder to avoid. This is a bit more tricky on this scenario though, since at 70% defence the risk of getting bogged down is very precent.
No.

Hope I get my leveled units back.
taemyr

Post by taemyr »

Hard, 1.5.8
2, this plays the same as on medium
Clear
Clear.
None.
5, far to easy but very high paced,
As for the first scenario, make a fight with the southern forces harder to avoid. This is a bit more tricky on this scenario though, since at 70% defence the risk of getting bogged down is very precent.
No.
Bircoph

Post by Bircoph »

Hard; 1.5.12+svn-r33365.

2. Just recruit and run! This is dejavu.

Normal.

Normal. BTW I can't understand the meaning of two empty camps on the north. Just decorations.

To clean the way to the post sign.

5. I do not like fratricide, especially between Elves -- the most enlightened race in Wesnoth, but this is the history.

None.

None.
Per aspera ad astra!
axelotl

Post by axelotl »

easy 1.6; hard 1.6.2

Clear

Why do the assassins regard Kalenz as a traitor? Landar might think that, but shouldn't the other elves be saner?

It's hard!

10. Short but intense. This is my favourite scenario of the whole campaign.

None.

The first couple of times, I got surrounded and couldn't fight my way through. The next couple of times, I got through but lost loyal troops so I replayed. (I've lost brave Landar; I'm not going to lose loyal Anduilas too.) Finally, it all came together ...
Don't axe a little. Axe a lottle.
Elyssaen

Post by Elyssaen »

Easy, 1.6.1.

2/10.

If you recruit nobody and immediately move, your Level 3 elvish troops will clash with Blue and Purple at the same time. With forest defence, they can't kill anyone in one turn and it's trivially easy to cut away a few to clear the zone of control, and then have Kalenz run through to the signpost. Turn 4 finish.

Very clear.

Only moderate – there was room for more, I think, and it wasn't clear why Landar had so much support amongst the elves.

Ensuring that I didn't lose any loyal troops (which wasn't too much of a problem) and holding back the urge to actually fight to kill, which I think could be done on Easy as you're likely to have Level 3 troops and they have Level 1 ones.

6/10.

It was quite fun, and I always like escape scenarios as they're a breath of fresh air compared to all the "Kill all enemy leaders" ones. However, as I said, it wasn't believable that the elves would side with Landar to such a degree and this made the scenario less fun.

I would replace this scenario with perhaps a more complex one that involves elves on both sides. (Yet still keep away from "Kill all enemy leaders".)

An alternative, which would be both frustrating and fun, would be to put a kill limit on this scenario, perhaps even zero. I can see how this might be doable without killing any of the elves loyal to Landar. It means you can't just clear the ZoC by taking out key elves, and instead have to create a funnel for Kalenz to pass through. (I'm not sure if this could be won, but it might be fun.)

No.

Unless a player tries to fight, or is on a mode above Easy (I can't speak for how the scenario differs on Medium and Hard), there's very little risk. The only thing that can go wrong is losing one of your important troops (Level 3 and/or loyal), but that's unlikely.