Scenario Review: (UTBS) 1. The Morning After

Feedback for the mainline campaign Under the Burning Suns.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: (UTBS) 1. The Morning After

Post by Content Feedback »

New stable, new beginnings, new questions and so on ;) Please note I do not think the general ones are bad, they simply don't serve my needs. Here we go:

1) What version and difficulty level did you play the scenario on? Please do not submit feedback from pre 1.4.
2) Do you think the difficulty is adequate to the level? If not describe the issue that made the scenario to easy/hard.
3) Was there any event that caused you to almost instantly lose, or made the scenario unplayable without reload?
4) Do you like the storyline and the dialogues? If not what part/character lags behind or what would you like changed?
5) Do you think the scenario was fun? Please write down some thoughts about gameplay, mood etc.

Mist
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
im the one you think of

Post by im the one you think of »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Just easy, not sure of the game versions
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
5 a good first level in a campaign, nice to have something other than a 'run' level.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Not clear at the beginning (understandably) but having the objectives box pop up with new objectives is good.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
interesting enough, good balance between being boring and just going on
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
having to deal with ghosts was difficult, and the sheer length of the scenario, but the rest of the level was easy
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
very fun, probably the best 1st level of any of the campaigns ive played
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
nothing springs to mind
Ssshh! I'm secretly male.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

(BTW, the comments in this post, although they reflect mostly the scenario at hand, reflect pretty accurately the rest of the campaign as well. So I'm only posting this one review. :) And, I played it some months ago, so some parts may be mis-remembered.)

1. normal, IIRC, the version right before the final scenario was released

2. considering that I was an experienced player playing on easy, I'll give it a 5.

3. they were fine.

4. *shrug* It was interesting, I guess. The character of Kaleh wasn't particularly likeable, in fact he seemed like a whiner to me. I don't think that was intended. And all of the references to Eloh... well, they didn't exactly make me uncomfortable, but I didn't like them. I was sitting there thinking, "why is there a religion here?" True, t is kind of an integral theme in the campaign, but I didn't like it. Personal bias, I guess.

5. It was so... long... At the end, I had scouts all over the board, flagging villages, units in the desert, fighting, and units attacking the necromancer. If I missed a turn with any of the groups, I usually went back and replayed the turn.

6. 6-7. It was fun, in the beginning, figuring out what was going on and stuff, but the end dragged on.

7. It might work better as two separate scenarios.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

1.1.2 is here and so is my review.

1. 102 medium(challenging) 112 normal
2. 3 in 102, 2 in 112
3. ample dialogue makes the objectives very clear
4. always fun to read, clear and interesting enough
5. nothing really... dealing with scattered pockets of enemies with tons of elves. Although I did lose Seela, my favorite elf... I made her my only avenger in 102 so she stood out, and now she's already gone. *sniff* :cry:
She was the only unit I lost. 32 kills 1 loss so far.
6. 5 it's a beginning scenario... a little annoying to have control of so many units against so few enemies.
7. scenario itself seems fine by me.

A general comment about the campaign:
I like how single maps pan out into what other campaigns might stretch into several different scenarios. It's unique and makes this campaign really leave a positive impression.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
smchronos

Post by smchronos »

Version 1.1.2
Difficulties: Normal/Challenging

Both normal and challenging, to me, were close to even. I'll give them a 6 all together.

Not too hard. Perhaps you could have used a few labels on normal mode for people to realize what some of the locations were.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Indeed, this was a different variety of Wesnoth with much more dialogue and ambush jammed into it; however, I almost found the constant attack repetative (no offense).

My only real challenge which I set for myself was to not let any units stray away from defensive cluster and get bumped off. So, not too hard.

I'll give it an 8 for the first time playing. An interesting type of Wesnoth scenario.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Hm. I'd guess I'd need to know more about all of Wesnoth's current capabilites before I answer that.
dthurston

Re: Scenario Review: (UTBS) 1. The Morning After

Post by dthurston »

quartex wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.1.2+SVN, normal difficulty.
3. After the first move or so, I had overwhelming force with careful movement. I only lost one unit.
Quite clear.
Very interesting, nice progressive development.
None, really.
Can't think of anything. Getting to the outlying villages didn't add that much.
cordobatim

Post by cordobatim »

I'm playing version 1.0.4 of UtBS, 1.0.2 of Wesnoth. I'm doing the campaign on Easy
4. This one is fairly easy (deceptively so, considering the rest of the campaign)
Very clear
As I wrote elsewhere, this is the most creative campaign I've played. I haven't finished the whole campaign, but it's really top notch. The storyline is clear in this scenario, though it didn't catch my interest as much as later scenarios.
This one wasn't too difficult. Not too many challenges. This is the second time I've started this campaign; knowing about the changing objectives helps. I still have to fight my old tendencies of thinking "Oh, the scenario is almost over" which leads me to leave units in risky positions.
5. As I said, I don't find this scenario as interesting as later ones. I'm glad I decided to give the campaign another try.
Too be honest, I'd like a little more challenge (I know... don't play on easy:) ). Maybe one more plot twist at the beginning, like making the campground radioactive or something (you're poisoned if you stay in a certain area too long). Just a thought. It's a great campaign![/quote]
pjr

Post by pjr »

quartex wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Normal (i.e "easy"), 1.1.2 and 1.1.2+svn
Very clear.
Very interesting. Mostly clear, though I wonder what a "dweomancer" is.
On Easy, it isn't challenging at all. This is OK, since it provides a chance to get used to the capabilities of the unfamiliar units and the day/night schedule.
1. I think I'd remove the shroud. It doesn't make sense to me that the elves don't know where their own outlying settlements are. This change would require a change to the dialog about the keep, since it would be visibly ruined at the start.
2. I wonder if the destruction of the settlement could be animated in WML instead of merely told in prose. There are similar effects in later scenarios, and this is one of the few scenarios in the campaign that lacks a "wow" factor.
[I'll get around to commenting on the later scenarios, but it might take a while.]
Shakiko

Post by Shakiko »

normal, 1.17

Well, it was a starting scenario - didn't lose any trops at all -> 1

clear

I really enjoy the subplots/changes of the goal in the middle of the map - this is true for the whole campaign, not just this scenario

getting my troops together again after I knew there was an enemy in the north

Lots of fun - After finishing I started the 2nd scenario right away even I originally just wanted to play the first one and head to bed afterwards ;)

none that I can think of atm
Draciron

Post by Draciron »

1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Hard on both versions.

The only restart I had to do on 1.1.2 was when I left Zhul exposed because a 1 hit point enemy survived two different units attacks. With 1.0.2 I breezed through this one. Though I gave it a 5 because I had to organize my movements carefully to keep druids in connection with my units at pretty much all times. In 1.1.2 the enemy seemed to be tougher. More level 2s to fight in both Bandit and undead.

Very clear.

Enjoyed it quite a bit.

Keeping the heat from decimating my units and protecting injured units from the ghosts that popped up out of nowhere.

6 - It was interesting, however it also dragged a bit as there was so much dessert to cross.

I'd keep it the same. It's important to have leveled units for the next scenario so I'd add more low level victems to kill.
Sly

Post by Sly »

I think you put your review in the wrong post :wink:
:arrow: this is the right one :D
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Version 1.1.11/ Medium (Challanging) difficulty.

4/10 - Pretty easy, Necromancer gave me a couple of scares.

Perfectly.

Perfectly clear, reasonably interesting. I also like the fact that there is plenty of it. However, the dialog was all-round very corny. In particular the constant "by Eloh" and "in the name of Naia" gets irritating pretty quick. The thing about the dream also came across as silly, even though it seems to be somewhat central to the storyline.

Only just finished in time. Knocking off the Necromancer and his 70%-to-hit gave me some bad moments. Oh yeah, and that Deep One (cuttlefish) was annoying.

6/10 - On the whole it was okay.

Revise the dialog. (Dialog not to be confused with storyline.)
anupamsr

Post by anupamsr »

Easy.
It was easier when I played it for the second time on Easy. I did so because I moved to 1.1.13 from 1.1.12, and wasn't doing too good the first time. I would say it was a lot harder the first time.
I will give it a 7 for a beginner.
Nicely laid. No problemo.
Highly interesting. There was some ambiguity, see (7) for more info.
Not much. It was a good fun.
The first time I played it, I wasted almost 10 turns just to know that you 'really' have to bring Kaleh to North-East corner to end the scenario. IMHO this is not good at all. Garak tells you to go to Pinnacle Rock. That's where it all should End. Or the scenario should say you need to go to North-East, and then have a checkpoint/flag there. There is a checkpoint/flag near Pinnacle Rock, but that is not important for the story.
tan2

Post by tan2 »

Challenging 1.1.11

Fine

Very good, except one point. Kaleh tends to "I found this and that, what am I going to do?" Then, Nym will speak to Kaleh "You should explort this and shouldn't do that." This gives me an impression that Kaleh has a weak personality. But later in the campaign, Kaleh becomes very strong and firm. The transition of Kaleh's personality too abrupt IMO.

None

Very well designed plot and map.

None
Imp

Post by Imp »

Challenging, 1.2.

2. Piece of cake.

Crystal, although perhaps you can add the other characters to the no-die list as they're found, just to make it clearer. I had to check all the new troops as they appeared to make sure they weren't key characters. We can't even rely on the dialogue as the scouts looked like they would be key characters.

Very interesting, very clear. It's a nice beginning of a story.

Keeping the characters alive for all the surprises hiding in the village. For example, the tentacles appeared when I had nothing to do but hope my injured key character survives its attack next turn.

10. I enjoyed it.

Nothing.