Scenario Review: (UTBS) 5. A Subterranean Struggle

Feedback for the mainline campaign Under the Burning Suns.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: (UTBS) 5. A Subterranean Struggle

Post by Content Feedback »

1) What version and difficulty level did you play the scenario on? Please do not submit feedback from pre 1.4.
2) Do you think the difficulty is adequate to the level? If not describe the issue that made the scenario to easy/hard.
3) Was there any event that caused you to almost instantly lose, or made the scenario unplayable without reload?
4) Do you like the storyline and the dialogues? If not what part/character lags behind or what would you like changed?
5) Do you think the scenario was fun? Please write down some thoughts about gameplay, mood etc.
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

1. 102 challenging 112 normal
2. 4 in 102, 8 in 112
3. Clear enough.
4. clear and interesting enough.
5. troll shaman... really not easy to take down with elves underground.
6. 6, it's alright, challenging is fun sometimes.
7. maybe wider paths? annoying as heck when single aisle paths were blocked by the AI allies.
8. 1196. gg infinite monies

General comments:
In 102 i sided with the trolls and cleaned out the dwarves.
I decided to go with the dwarves this time... and DAMN the trolls are much harder to kill. Lost a ton of high quality units.
I noticed something buying lots of new recruits to use as fodder... every elf archer was male, couldn't get a female recruit for the life of me. Intentional?
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

SmokemJags wrote: 7. maybe wider paths? annoying as heck when single aisle paths were blocked by the AI allies.
SmokemJags, would you say that your allies are still too powerful in this scenario? I noticed that by the end of the scenario, the tunnels did get a bit crowded with my troll allies. Also if you click on the button "Help Wesnoth" and allow recording you scenario stats, then your game results will be sent to a server and I can get a better idea of the stats for each scenario. Info like how many turns it takes you to win, or how many 1st/2nd/3rd level units you have, can be useful for game balancing.
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

I think the dwarves seem too weak... only a few survived at the end, but all they ended up doing was clogging passage ways, heh. The trolls seem significantly stronger, as allies and as enemies.

It is on, the help wesnoth thing.

Want me to type out all those details? That's a bit more extensive.
Attachments
ItIsOn.jpg
ItIsOn.jpg (16.77 KiB) Viewed 18986 times
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Also if you click on the button "Help Wesnoth" and allow recording you scenario stats, then your game results will be sent to a server and I can get a better idea of the stats for each scenario. Info like how many turns it takes you to win, or how many 1st/2nd/3rd level units you have, can be useful for game balancing.
My folder labeled:

Code: Select all

D:\Wesnoth\userdata\upload
Has 50 files in it... maybe I should just upload them right here? I have no idea which is which, they're just numbered 1-50.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

SmokemJags wrote:It is on, the help wesnoth thing.

Want me to type out all those details? That's a bit more extensive.
No, no, you're already doing exactly what I wanted. The game automatically uploads them to the stats.wesnoth.org server, I just wanted you to enable the process by clicking the checkbox.
Sly

Post by Sly »

1. 1.1.2a, Normal
2. 8, fighting undergroud is a hell with elves, I had to use a *lot* of freshly recruited desert fighters as cannon fodder
3. Clear and simple : kill the dwarves or the trolls
4. Interesting, the trolls seems half intelligent half dumb it's well done
5. Dwarves are a hell to beat underground (50% defense and good res)
6. 8, I enjoyed siding with the trolls, it was fun
8. 1300
cordobatim

Post by cordobatim »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Easy on 1.0.2
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
8. I lost several high level guys toward the end.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Good until the end. Maybe I didn't read the dialogs well enough, but I ended up going the wrong way across the lake the first time and ran out of turns.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Super. This was really interesting.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
I chose to fight the dwarves. They have such high resistance and such powerful attacks that it is hard to keep key figures alive. And all of the twists and turns... very challenging. Fun, but challenging.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
10. It's a beaut.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Maybe a signpost or something there at the end to know which way to go. And I never did figure out what the burning rune was when I did go the wrong way. Does that have a meaning?
(8) How much gold did you have at the start of the scenario?
pjr

Re: Scenario Review: (UTBS) 5. A Subterranean Struggle

Post by pjr »

quartex wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.1.2+svn, Easy
Very clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Good.
Getting past the bridge to the north of the keep when allied with the trolls. (I haven't tried allying with the dwarfs.)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None.
(8) How much gold did you have at the start of the scenario?
Pater-Brown

Post by Pater-Brown »

I think the trolls are too strong, if you want to fight against them in hard. I had tried it 4 times really hard, but they smashed me up. As I fought against the dwarves I managed it instantly.
bloblo

Re: Scenario Review: (UTBS) 5. A Subterranean Struggle

Post by bloblo »

I have a bug....

2006-06-15 00:50:29.200 Battle for Wesnoth[1573] Could not find image named 'MacIcon'.
Battle for Wesnoth v1.1.5
found valid cache at '/Users/XXX//Library/Preferences/Wesnoth/cache/game.cfg-cache-v1.1.5-APPLE-MEDIUM-NORMAL' using it
found valid cache at '/Users/XXX//Library/Preferences/Wesnoth/cache/game.cfg-cache-v1.1.5-CAMPAIGN_DESERT-MEDIUM-NORMAL' using it
/Users/src/jeux/wesnoth-1.1.5/MacCompileStuff/../src/actions.cpp:359: failed assertion `choices.size() > 0'

and the application quit without comment ! :( :( :(

just a suggestion... the texts before the game seems me too long... and with a 14" laytop computer i can't read all (a part is out the screen !)

:?

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on? 1.15
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) Bug bug bug i can play only 5 rounds !
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? correct
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? correct but the texts is too long
(8) How much gold did you have at the start of the scenario? 714

for 5 to 7 i can't say yet... the game and the application quit !
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Can you repeat the crash? What actions caused the crash. Please go here and post a bug report:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReportingBugs
Thanks!
bloblo

V1.1.5 OSX - game quits on (UTBS) 5. A Subterranean Struggle

Post by bloblo »

this is the saved game at the crash point...

I have tried another choice but always the crash occurs at the same stade...
Attachments
A_Subterranean_Struggle-Sauvegarde_automatique15.zip
save auto 15
(31.9 KiB) Downloaded 1101 times
Shakiko

Post by Shakiko »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
normal, 1.17

It was challenging during the middle battle, but doable

Easily to understand

The storyline was great - Especially the fact to give trolls a culture and reasons to act was apreciated.

Staying alive long enough once the Dwarvish thunderers caused the blue leader to retreat... it was pretty much a "hold this line" for 15 turns

And it took my 3 turns to realize that those "reinforcements the blue leader has sent me" which weren't moving all the time were actually under my control :oops:
Once I got those I got enough forces to try to advance at the east side where the 2 other leaders neutralized themselves all the time.

I might repeat myself but I really, really enjoyed it :D
Definitely a 8-10

none - as you can't change the AI which refused to help me to cover the ground just north of my keep =)

(8 ) How much gold did you have at the start of the scenario?
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Popular opinion, including mine, seems to hold that it's much better, easier, etc. to side with thetrolls than the dwarves. Maybe give the dwarves some advantage; some more reason to choose them.
hey.