Scenario Review: (UTBS) 6.2 In the Domain of the Dwarves

Feedback for the mainline campaign Under the Burning Suns.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: (UTBS) 6.2 In the Domain of the Dwarves

Post by Content Feedback »

1) What version and difficulty level did you play the scenario on? Please do not submit feedback from pre 1.4.
2) Do you think the difficulty is adequate to the level? If not describe the issue that made the scenario to easy/hard.
3) Was there any event that caused you to almost instantly lose, or made the scenario unplayable without reload?
4) Do you like the storyline and the dialogues? If not what part/character lags behind or what would you like changed?
5) Do you think the scenario was fun? Please write down some thoughts about gameplay, mood etc.
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Sly

Post by Sly »

1. 1.1.2a, Normal
2. 8 ... I *hate* those lvl2 undead bats, they never stopped comming
3. Very clear
4. Clear and good
5. Passing the water ... damn bats !
6. 7 it's well designed, and I like the cornered troll, he's usefull
8. 900
clodoveo

6.2 scenario feedback (bug in scenario)

Post by clodoveo »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?

normal

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

this one is ok, while the storyline of other missions is sometimes too long.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

The dwarven beserkers which can eat a Troll Shaman for breakfast.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

The 'cornered' troll should have come to my side. I think it was meant to do so, but for a bug it attacked me. He was on the same side as the dwarf cornering him, and I had to kill both.

(8) How much gold did you have at the start of the scenario?

about 1300

Btw I had no problems with bats, because I sent a small detachment NE and found a bat king that was summoning the bats. Killed easily using slow and ranged.

Btw I must signal a bug.
After killing the dwarf chieftain (I also killed a dwarf on the northern island), I got this error:

"The game could not be loaded: unit not found: Troll2"
This prevented the scenario to end successfully.

I think that the cornered troll at the beginning should have come to my side, but instead he attacked me.
Using wesnoth-1.1.2a
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

clodoveo, thanks for the bug reports. They have been fixed in the SVN version of wesnoth. Yu can fix them by opening the file 6_2_Hunting_Trolls.cfg. Find the unit "Grog" and change side=2 to side=3 in his unit definition. Likewise find "troll2" and change it to "Troll Shaman". Unfortunately you will have to restart the scenario from the beginning for these changes to take effect.
Desert Plah

Post by Desert Plah »

Ooookay…

I'm having not workingness of the fix. Or fixes. I've tried changing the save file a couple of ways (Troll2 to Troll or Troll Shaman), didn't work. I'm hesistant to change the scenario file because A) I don't enjoy the starting over, and B) I'm not sure it will work, my doubt caused by the failure of the previous method. If all else fails, I'll change the scen file and start over.

Is there something I'm missing?

Windows, Wesnoth 1.1.2a

Thanks.
Sly

Post by Sly »

Desert Plah wrote:Ooookay…

I'm having not workingness of the fix. Or fixes. I've tried changing the save file a couple of ways (Troll2 to Troll or Troll Shaman), didn't work. I'm hesistant to change the scenario file because A) I don't enjoy the starting over, and B) I'm not sure it will work, my doubt caused by the failure of the previous method. If all else fails, I'll change the scen file and start over.

Is there something I'm missing?

Windows, Wesnoth 1.1.2a

Thanks.
I don't know if changing the saved game will change anything.

Changing the scenario.cfg will but you'll have to restart the scenario
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Changing the savefile probably won't be enough. You have to change the scenario.cfg file and restart the scenario.
pjr

Re: Scenario Review: (UTBS) 6.2 In the Domain of the Dwarves

Post by pjr »

quartex wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Easy, 1.1.2+svn
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear, except that it isn't obvious which tunnel to take at first. Because I'd finished the previous scenario by killing the dwarf leader in the north-east, I assumed that the tunnel to the south-west led back where I'd come from.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Mostly good. Some indication that the lake might be worth exploring would be useful. Otherwise, there's no incentive to find the tomb before killing the dwarf leader.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Berserkers. I hate berserkers!
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None.
(8) How much gold did you have at the start of the scenario?
Oliphant

Post by Oliphant »

(1) 1.1.2a, normal
(2) 6
(3) very clear
(4) clear
(5) 1st time I played it the dwarf leader recruited a lot, including several berserkers, one of which managed to wipe out my troll shaman. Had the bug with troll2 and Grog, which I fixed then restarted. Oddly, the 2nd time through dwarf leader recruited very little and no berserkers.
(6) 8. The last one was more fun with the chaotic melee but this was fun too.
(7) It took a little too long to cross the water and obtain the key for the +12hp item. I may not have had enough time if I didn't know about it from playing the scenario before.
(8) 1266.

BUGS:
I gave the 12hp item to Zhul which put her up to 53 hp. Somewhere between when I picked up the belt and my save file about 5 turns later, she lost a hp, down to 52, which is what she came into the next scenarios with. Then when she level advanced to desert star in 'Frying Pan' the game crashed -- segmentation fault, no error warning or message. I found there's a post about this already so I'm d/l'ng SVN version now, hope that fixes the crash.

Nope. It doesn't load the save file. Well back to 1.1.2 I'll just try to play without levelling Zhul.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

(1) 1.1.2a+svn, challenging difficulty.
(2) 10+, I had to resort to debug mode cheating.
(3) Clear.
(4) It didn't leave me wishing there was more - so plenty enough.
(5) The dread bats, which are just ridiculous. Two of them can kill basically any unit I have, and they can attack at any time, without any prior warning. To not lose all my most precious units to the bats would seem to require about a dozen cannonfodder fighters/hunters to try to block the bats with. I don't see how that could be done without running out of turns. Vampire or blood bats would be enough, considering the number of tentacles in the same spot.
(6) Without the bats, I'd probably give it an 8.
(7) Not hard to guess - I'd make the wading through the water doable.
(8 ) 880.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

You can stop and fight the bats before triggering the tentacles, the bats don't keep coming forever. However you are right that the Dread Bats are overpowered, I have nerfed them in the SVN version.
Sly

Post by Sly »

quartex wrote:You can stop and fight the bats before triggering the tentacles, the bats don't keep coming forever. However you are right that the Dread Bats are overpowered, I have nerfed them in the SVN version.
With 2 Shydes, they can be managed, cause the Shydes heal themselves, but it's difficult

If the "Illumination" of the Desert Star was working, they would better (cause bats are chaotic) :wink:
mrtree

Post by mrtree »

I am having a problem, that when ever I get Zurg to break down the wall, the game cannot load because it cannot find the Dwarf Thunderguard unit.

On a Mac, 2 month old version of wesnoth

Can anything be done?
Sly

Post by Sly »

mrtree wrote:I am having a problem, that when ever I get Zurg to break down the wall, the game cannot load because it cannot find the Dwarf Thunderguard unit.

On a Mac, 2 month old version of wesnoth

Can anything be done?
I think the unit type is misspelled in the scenario.cfg, you'll have to edit the file to correct this and restart Wesnoth application and the scenario from the begenning
bruno
Inactive Developer

Post by bruno »

I found a bug in SVN from a couple of days ago. I didn't go up the path that triggers charge making you go a different way to get to the "bridge". (I had been trying to get through on "hard" and I have been replaying turns and maps a lot.) While holding my side of the bridge I moved Grog back down the other path and that triggered the charge. This looked odd as the guy that was supposed to be running away ran through my units. And then Grog ended up in a cave wall since he happened to be on the wrong hex. He was able to to leave the cave wall, so it wasn't a big deal.
I suggest you have some sort of check for units coming around the other way. Either blow the charge earlier, don't blow it if the player has bypassed it, or if you want a detonation of some sort, blow up one in whichever path the player takes first.