Wesnoth 1.15.1

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gnombat

Re: Wesnoth 1.15.1

Post by gnombat »

Vilebeggar wrote: October 15th, 2019, 7:00 pm Is there any way i can get the new campaign not by the new installer because i have a 32 bit pc for the moment.
Yes, if you have version 1.14, Wings of Victory is available in the add-ons.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

3Lorde wrote: October 15th, 2019, 8:50 am
3Lorde wrote: October 14th, 2019, 3:01 pm Pentarctagon could you pls add Dugi AMLAs and the graphics from To Lands Unknown (Infernus) to this version of Wesnoth

Please. That should be awesome.
When I said Dugi AMLAs I mean that the units can get that extra level like Dugi use. I think very cool if you add that. This way you have infinite AMLAs in the main line.

About the graphics I mean give the possibility that other people can use that tech(3D).
It's unlikely that those will be added to mainline. Anyone can take their code/art and use it in their own add-ons though, since everything is under either the GPL or CC licences.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
3Lorde

Post by 3Lorde »

Pentarctagon wrote: October 15th, 2019, 11:53 pm
3Lorde wrote: October 15th, 2019, 8:50 am
3Lorde wrote: October 14th, 2019, 3:01 pm Pentarctagon could you pls add Dugi AMLAs and the graphics from To Lands Unknown (Infernus) to this version of Wesnoth

Please. That should be awesome.
When I said Dugi AMLAs I mean that the units can get that extra level like Dugi use. I think very cool if you add that. This way you have infinite AMLAs in the main line.

About the graphics I mean give the possibility that other people can use that tech(3D).
It's unlikely that those will be added to mainline. Anyone can take their code/art and use it in their own add-ons though, since everything is under either the GPL or CC licences.
But still, you should try since it's free to use or you can put it as an optional feature. If you add to the mainline maybe it will be more easy for the people to create their own campaign with these features. I will be very grateful if you do that.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

The way it works is someone decides to do the work and submits a Pull Request.

While it is possible that one of the team members will take up a suggestion, everyone is already committing what time they have to their own projects. One person's suggestion is usually no where near enough to convince one of us to add something to our workload, especially something so large and complex. The fact it's freely available really does not enter into consideration.

More likely, however, someone else (not an existing team member) will see the wide-spread, public support for an idea and decide to take it upon themselves to do the work.

Don't be surprised, however, if "big" ideas like support for 3D graphics gets rejected even if it is presented as a Pull Request.

First off, there is a side project which is attempting to replace the graphics engine. That is probably a more approriate platform for such a feature.

Second, there is more to adding a feature than simply pulling in some random code. It needs ongoing support. That means it needs programmers who care about the subject and are willing, and capable, of keeping it working. Submitting a Pull Request allows us to consider the complexities, side effects and support effort.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
3Lorde

Post by 3Lorde »

Tad_Carlucci wrote: October 16th, 2019, 1:49 pm The way it works is someone decides to do the work and submits a Pull Request.

While it is possible that one of the team members will take up a suggestion, everyone is already committing what time they have to their own projects. One person's suggestion is usually no where near enough to convince one of us to add something to our workload, especially something so large and complex. The fact it's freely available really does not enter into consideration.

More likely, however, someone else (not an existing team member) will see the wide-spread, public support for an idea and decide to take it upon themselves to do the work.

Don't be surprised, however, if "big" ideas like support for 3D graphics gets rejected even if it is presented as a Pull Request.

First off, there is a side project which is attempting to replace the graphics engine. That is probably a more approriate platform for such a feature.

Second, there is more to adding a feature than simply pulling in some random code. It needs ongoing support. That means it needs programmers who care about the subject and are willing, and capable, of keeping it working. Submitting a Pull Request allows us to consider the complexities, side effects and support effort.
I'm sorry and I understand.
I just would like to see something more in the next version.
I understand that the 3D it's to complex to make now even if you copy the code from "infernus".
But the Dugi AMLAs maybe should be more simple even if it's optional since you had someone that do that before.

But again it's just my opinion, and I understand if maybe the second it's hard to do as well. I'm not a programmer.
I just like Wesnoth and I would like to see something more in the next version.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

There is always something more in the next version. You can join the discussion on an item-by-item basis by joining GitHub, or participating in the IRC or Discord developer discussions. Strictly speaking, you don't need to be a programmer to be on the team. We need people who can write documentation, update the Wiki, and build and test, just to name a few non-programming roles.

"should be simple enough" is a plea for us to do the work. As I said, a Pull Request will get better attention, quicker. Otherwise, it'll wait until someone both has time (few of us do), and inclination (fewer still) to take on the project.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

At the very least, the Ideas forum would be a better place to propose adding something new to the game.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
3Lorde

Post by 3Lorde »

3Lorde wrote: October 16th, 2019, 7:26 pm
Tad_Carlucci wrote: October 16th, 2019, 1:49 pm The way it works is someone decides to do the work and submits a Pull Request.

While it is possible that one of the team members will take up a suggestion, everyone is already committing what time they have to their own projects. One person's suggestion is usually nowhere near enough to convince one of us to add something to our workload, especially something so large and complex. The fact it's freely available really does not enter into consideration.

Don't be surprised, however, if "big" ideas like support for 3D graphics get rejected even if it is presented as a Pull Request.

First off, there is a side project which is attempting to replace the graphics engine. That is probably a more appropriate platform for such a feature.

Second, there is more to add a feature than simply pulling in some random code. It needs ongoing support. That means it needs programmers who care about the subject and are willing, and capable, of keeping it working. Submitting a Pull Request allows us to consider the complexities, side effects, and support effort.
I'm sorry and I understand.
I just would like to see something more in the next version.
I understand that the 3D it's to complex to make now even if you copy the code from "inferno".
But the Dugi AMLAs maybe should be more simple even if it's optional since you had someone that do that before.

But again it's just my opinion, and I understand if maybe the second it's hard to do as well. I'm not a programmer.
I just like Wesnoth and I would like to see something more in the next version.
Tad_Carlucci wrote: October 16th, 2019, 11:55 pm There is always something more in the next version. You can join the discussion on an item-by-item basis by joining GitHub, or participating in the IRC or Discord developer discussions. Strictly speaking, you don't need to be a programmer to be on the team. We need people who can write documentation, update the Wiki, and build and test, just to name a few non-programming roles.

"should be simple enough" is a plea for us to do the work. As I said, a Pull Request will get better attention, quicker. Otherwise, it'll wait until someone both has time (few of us do), and inclination (fewer still) to take on the project.
Pentarctagon wrote: October 17th, 2019, 12:41 am At the very least, the Ideas forum would be a better place to propose adding something new to the game.
I just would like to see something new in this release, as I said before and I agree with Pentarctagon that the forum is the best place for it.
I just think that last time just to implement the SDL2 takes too long to release in 1.14. (Apart from Quesnoth elves I don't see to much difference).
Now I still think the same way you should bring something new like:
1 - graphics from Inferno (3D) and movies feature.
2- The AMLAs Dugi because I like infinite AMLAs.

I think it's just copied and paste with some adjustments.
Even if it takes longer like last time. I think it's time for it. And that maybe help Inferno to create more campaigns.

You said about help I don't know how I can do that. maybe some translation to Portuguese
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

3Lorde wrote: October 21st, 2019, 9:03 am
Pentarctagon wrote: October 17th, 2019, 12:41 am At the very least, the Ideas forum would be a better place to propose adding something new to the game.
I just would like to see something new in this release, as I said before and I agree with Pentarctagon that the forum is the best place for it.
I just think that last time just to implement the SDL2 takes too long to release in 1.14. (Apart from Quesnoth elves I don't see to much difference).
Now I still think the same way you should bring something new like:
1 - graphics from Inferno (3D) and movies feature.
2- The AMLAs Dugi because I like infinite AMLAs.

I think it's just copied and paste with some adjustments.
Even if it takes longer like last time. I think it's time for it. And that maybe help Inferno to create more campaigns.

You said about help I don't know how I can do that. maybe some translation to Portuguese
3Lorde, as Pent said, this thread is not the place to suggest such things. Suggestions are always welcome, but in this thread they'll just be lost. Suggestion are best posted as one thread per suggestion over in the Ideas forum: https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewforum.php?f=12 The first step is to discuss what change should be made to core (some ideas are better suited for add-ons).

If you'd like to help with Portuguese translation, the best way to start would to be contact the existing translation teams and coordinate, see https://wiki.wesnoth.org/WesnothTranslations.