Wesnoth 1.14.1

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Wesnoth 1.14.1

Post by Iris »

Wesnoth 1.14.1 is out!

This is a quick maintenance release for the stable 1.14.x series addressing various issues that have been brought up on Steam, these forums, and GitHub since the release of Wesnoth 1.14.0. As is the norm for stable updates, this release is fully compatible with version 1.14.0 and it primarily delivers bug fixes and translation updates.

A full list of changes and new features added since version 1.12 can be found in the release notes for this series.

Changes since 1.14.0
  • A full list of changes may be found in our main changelog.
  • We also provide an alternative players changelog including only those changes deemed to be relevant to the average player.
Read on for more details about the most notable fixes and additions in this release since the previous stable release:
General
Eastern Invasion:
  • In “Captured”, fixed units incorrectly costing upkeep after leveling up.
Secrets of the Ancients:
  • Fixed minor unit naming inconsistencies (issues #2844 and #2846).
Under the Burning Suns:
  • Added custom graphics for the broken tree in scenario 1.
  • Various graphics updates.
  • Fixed a bug in the Formation ability causing defense bonuses to not be applied in some cases.
  • Removed misleading tooltip text stating registered nicknames are optional for the official server, as well as added text and a button to the MP menu directing people to the forums registration page.
  • Removed individual Join/Observe buttons for each game in the lobby.
  • The titles of games with vacant slots are now highlighted.
  • Restored era information in the list of games in the lobby.
  • Improved lobby layout on low resolutions and improved the selection criteria for resolution-dependent layout.
  • Ensured the chat remains the correct size after window resize operations.
  • Improved reporting of network errors in the lobby (issue #3005).
  • Game titles are now capped at 50 characters.
  • Fixed multiple instances of the multiplayer server crashing under certain conditions.
  • Fixed inactive weapon specials being displayed in the Unit Attack dialog unlike in 1.12 (issue #3033).
  • Attempting to save a screenshot with an unsupported format now shows an error message, instead of saving the screenshot as BMP with the requested extension.
  • It is now possible to disable log domains in the Logging Options dialog.
  • Added an option to disable the FPS limiter for a slight performance boost.
  • Fixed a crash reported on the forums when using certain invalid color= values in [side] definitions.
  • Implemented a workaround for a crash reported on the forums and Steam, affecting players on some configurations when bringing up the Preferences dialog and Multiplayer menu, among others.
  • Changed the plural name for the merfolk race from Mermen to Merfolk (issue #2940).
Known Issues
General bugs:
  • There are some issues with parts of the lobby unexpectedly scrolling around when the games or user list are updated (e.g. issue #3016).
  • Multiple issues with Planning Mode/Whiteboard.
Bugs specific to Windows:
  • OneDrive can interfere with Wesnoth’s user config/data directory set-up, leading to all kinds of different manifestations of the issue. There’s no fix available yet. The recommendation for the time being is to avoid syncing the Wesnoth user directory with OneDrive.
General bugs:
  • Preprocessor errors corrupts cache (#1924). If this happens you have to wipe your cache. That can be done in Preferences → Cache.
Bugs specific to macOS:
  • Trackpad tap clicking is sometimes not recognized (forum post).
  • Unofficial builds with OpenMP support enabled randomly freeze (bug #1260).

Downloads
Source code (442.4 MB)
SHA256 sum: 6bf655b4df17098104a23078fb796c91223aca8294a15e58209aac70f6b2f9d7
Windows installer (403.2 MB)
SHA256 sum: 38d6a3bc7b5005a78980ae4c8341ab682fc6997e7a4e56b07562844ebb6326ef
macOS package (450.5 MB)
SHA256 sum: d76d60492546877b015b6aa185c0e500e64c39a643a1137f89bf4eedd757d89c
All known Linux packagers have been contacted, and binaries for your distribution may have already been created. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to install them can be found on the Linux binaries page in the wiki.
The multiplayer server for 1.14.x is up and running. This server allows players using all stable releases from this series, including the 1.14 release candidates (1.13.12 and alter).

The add-ons server for 1.14.x is already running. It was started for 1.13.12 and it serves all stable releases from this series.
If you encounter any problems involving add-ons not working as expected, please notify the content’s author or maintainer.

If you find any bugs, do not hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to report bugs first! As bug reports in the forums tend to be forgotten, you will get better results using our bug tracker. We need your help for finding and fixing issues, no matter how obvious, trivial or complicated they seem!

Have fun!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Crow_T

Re: Wesnoth 1.14.1

Post by Crow_T »

cool beans Wesnoth team, thanks for getting fixes out so quickly!
Nick-C

Post by Nick-C »

Thank you all very much for your hard work! Any word on when 64-bit Windows will be implemented? The memory limit prevents me from using a crap load of eras together without the game crashing, and I'm afraid, "well just don't do that" doesn't seem to help with me... Been playing Wesnoth for far too long to not want to get that big bundle of units experience :p
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Pretty sure this is already 64-bit?
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
tlm2501

Post by tlm2501 »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 10th, 2018, 12:44 am Pretty sure this is already 64-bit?
No, the executables of the Windows build are 32-bit. While 64-bit Windows has no issue whatsoever running them thanks to its backwards compatibility layer, 32-bit apps still do suffer from the same memory limitations as they would if running on a 32-bit OS.
enclave

Post by enclave »

I'm quite sure it's 32 bit too.. at least that's where it gets installed.. Program Files (x86)
Nick-C

Post by Nick-C »

The way I understand it, both Linux and MacOS versions of Wesnoth have 64-bit options, but Windows Wesnoth is still 32-bit (as mentioned above, backwards compatibility allows).
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

The limitation on Windows is that many of the libraries Wesnoth depends on are still 32-bit. Getting Wesnoth to be 64-bit would require re-compiling those dependencies as 64-bit as well, which unfortunately is not a trivial task.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Not sure, if this is true for 1.14.1 still, cos i didn't update..
Why did the team-label functionalty disappear? i liked it.
I like beavers.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

This error came at exiting the editor.
There was another one, unsure if it was same, that one had came up when pressing terrain group on the side-bar. Later acessing the same terrain-group in editor did not reproduce the crash and i have no screeny of that one.
editorexiterr.png
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Do you have an exact method to reproduce this? Preferably with version 1.14.1, since your screenshot clearly shows you’re using 1.14.0.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Saddeningly not, as it did not appear again yet.
enclave

Post by enclave »

I installed it :D
1) Sign Up button is great!!! it goes exactly where is needed..
2) no more annoying popups in connect to server menu!! ;)
3) It remembers my settings from 1.14.0 fantastic!
4) Lobby list of players is showing in windowed mode!!
5) I like that other games are below lobby now..
5.1) I don't think I will open other games because lobby is still jumping up and down :D
6) I risked it and opened it!!! And YAy it doesn't lag or freeze.. it still jumps from time to time.. but i dont have to terminate wesnoth :D it's very very very bearable. With this I can happily live until next release with full fix whenever it comes..
7) I still have all my add-ons!!! Great! Upgrading from 1.14.0 to 1.14.1 didnt seem to delete anything and didn't seem to require any preferences adjustment on windows 7, so it's very user friendly..
7.1) Now I hope if i delete 1.14.0 I won't lose everything :D
8 ) Oh nearly forgot, now it shows era for each game, beautiful!!
9) I may be hallucinating but it might be that it's faster now... might it? (i mean loading times, lobby.. not tried gaming yet)

So Briefly.. it's GREAT!!! Thank you very much everyone :) The more thorough inspection to follow :D

PS.
10) only active abilities are shown in attack box!! COOL
10.1) now I don't try to sound demanding or anything, but maybe abilities could have slightly different shade of color from damage? The way it is now is a bit hard to separate them... the mind is less relaxed.. it's like a text without punctuation.. hard to read and understand.. same here, it's same color, same font size.. and is a bit not nice this way..
w1.jpg
Starangely 1.12 was the same :) I'm surprized... But the ability name fits on screen, not broken into 2 lines.. so maybe that's why it felt better in 1.12
w2.jpg
10.2) Also 1.12 has better color for inactive abilities on the right hand side panel, it was in gray.. in 1.14 its same color with active abilities.. this could be improved.

PPS. now slightly about bad things. Custom options don't save settings if id is an array name, they become default after restart of wesnoth (w1.14.1 windows 7, and the problem was not only with me, other players too)

Code: Select all

[options]
	[slider]
      id=qc_system.ai_extra_income
      default=15
      min=1
      max=100
      step=1
      name=_"AI (Computer Player) extra income per turn:"
      description=_"15 extra gold is Default. You can adjust Level of difficulty."
	[/slider]
[/options]
This will not be saved and will have to be input again after each Wesnoth restart.. same for entry and checkboxes
Could in future versions there be no problem with making it an array? "id=qc_system.ai_extra_income"
I would really prefer an array because it doesn't trash my inspector... I need most settings to stay whole game long, renaming them ingame is not the most convenient way... maybe this problem could be solved on the highest level?
(Making "id=qc_system[0].test_name" doesn't solve problem too)

Another bad design is the information for add-ons.. "add-on details"
w3.jpg
It has whole lot of useless for user information (like when it's uploaded, when it's last updated.. how many downloads..) and partly useless information ( status, type..) 2 huge icons to add or remove addon.. million of blank spaces... and only some 8 lines for actual add-on description...??? less than for all other unnecessary *rap. Result is a very inconvenient add-on descriptions, with need of scrolling to read anything at all..
Instead it could use so much more space for the information that user really wants to see...
A button "update all" in the information for addon? Irrelevant...
Button "exit" returns to main menu... "back to list" returns back to addons list.. Quite unusual to have "exit" to main menu from addon info, not self explanatory, not user friendly, not typical... could just rename "back to list" into "exit" and save space for something useful...
"add-ons manager" on top left corner needed? could also be removed..
It would be better if there was more description shown than other info or buttons that nobody needs... like so or similar:
w5.jpg
anyone agree?
Last edited by enclave on May 15th, 2018, 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EnergiaX

Post by EnergiaX »

Why is not there all add-on?
I this version wesnoth (on steam) i must install add-on.[even though I have an earlier version 1.12]
in add-on manager, i don't see all old additions. For example : Bonus Spam, save the village, xp bank is not exist here.
Is it enough to copy folders? please help.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

EnergiaX wrote: May 12th, 2018, 11:59 am Why is not there all add-on?
I this version wesnoth (on steam) i must install add-on.[even though I have an earlier version 1.12]
in add-on manager, i don't see all old additions. For example : Bonus Spam, save the village, xp bank is not exist here.
Is it enough to copy folders? please help.
Add-ons do not carry over between versions automatically, since there can be many incompatibilities between 1.12 and 1.14, depending on what the add-on does. So you can try copying the folders, but don't be surprised if there are bugs.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code