Re: Wesnoth 1.14.0 and Linux packages

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LordAndrew

Re: Wesnoth 1.14.0 and Linux packages

Post by LordAndrew »

[Split from the Wesnoth 1.14.0 release announcement topic — shadowm]

thanks for broken junk :D
LordAndrew

Re: Wesnoth 1.14.0 — New Horizons Update

Post by LordAndrew »

it may be necessary to wait three more years ? :D when there is a normal installation for Linux ? how many dozens of libraries need to download to build the game ? maby better to include the wine directly in the source of the game. Really for three years it is impossible to make a normal finished product for the end user. Expectations did not justify reality. Why just throw out a piece of code on the forum , like a hungry dog a piece of meat ? not to one game I have not downloaded so much additional [censored]
Spoiler:
In repository is old version, the flatpack empty. Not surprising ,that you decided to promote your product through Steam
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

LordAndrew wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 5:12 am it may be necessary to wait three more years ? :D when there is a normal installation for Linux ? how many dozens of libraries need to download to build the game ? maby better to include the wine directly in the source of the game. Really for three years it is impossible to make a normal finished product for the end user. Expectations did not justify reality. Why just throw out a piece of code on the forum , like a hungry dog a piece of meat ? not to one game I have not downloaded so much additional [censored]
Spoiler:
In repository is old version, the flatpack empty. Not surprising ,that you decided to promote your product through Steam
If you're going to bother posting feedback, details and specifics are what's useful, rather than passive aggressive nonsense.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
LordAndrew

Post by LordAndrew »

This is not aggression, this indignation and displeasure. Why do not you buy a car for parts then take the tools and collect it ? Why do I need to collect pieces of the game and use the sites to download library ? Can not add a game to the repository ? Or add everything what need to build into the downloaded archive. And so it's easier to download .exe and just run use Wine or any virtual machine :lol: or I can wait another three years :lol: but maybe for such a long time I do not want to play
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

LordAndrew wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 7:59 am This is not aggression, this indignation and displeasure. Why do not you buy a car for parts then take the tools and collect it ? Why do I need to collect pieces of the game and use the sites to download library ? Can not add a game to the repository ? Or add everything what need to build into the downloaded archive. And so it's easier to download .exe and just run use Wine or any virtual machine :lol: or I can wait another three years :lol: but maybe for such a long time I do not want to play
We do not control Wesnoth's availability in any distro repositories.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

LordAndrew, we have always made it clear that we do not have the resources to build the game for every single Linux distribution out there (you ought to know at this point that there are a lot of those). The best thing we can do is work closely with packagers by allowing them to subscribe to the packagers mailing list so we can notify them of new releases, and hope they can provide current binaries in some form at some point (bearing in mind that they, much like our own team of developers, are almost always unpaid volunteers).

Non-rolling distributions follow their own release procedures that usually preclude adding new versions of software to stable repositories, focusing on delivering bug fixes and security patches that do not otherwise alter the software or operating system’s behaviour. That is also completely beyond our control. Some of them (such as Debian and Ubuntu) kindly provide their users with optional repositories shipping backports for users of stable distributions. Some of them have communities dedicated to doing this in an unofficial fashion.

As of late there is also a Flatpak alternative, which I have to admit I am not personally familiarised with (I believe it’s essentially a sandboxed application bundle in the same vein as macOS packages).

And in the worst case, you are always able to compile Wesnoth from source yourself, following your distribution’s instructions for obtaining development packages (if necessary), as well as our own installation instructions. We cannot ship all the dependencies in a convenient package for everyone because they are always changing upstream. Libraries such as libpng and SDL receive frequent bug fixes and security patches, Boost sees new feature releases every few months, and so on. The mission of the development team is to provide the source code for the game itself only, and additionally, our tier 1 packagers provide builds for Windows and macOS (and now for Linux on Steam as well, targeting the Steam Runtime and Debian-compatible distributions).

The situation might not be ideal for you, but that does not excuse blatantly disregarding basic courtesy and coming and demanding changes from us with such an impolite and self-entitled tone. You are always welcome to help us provide generic Linux binaries if you find that this is a useful investment for your time, but as it is, our developers are too swamped with work in Wesnoth and their own lives to dedicate their time to that endeavour, at the expense of far more pressing issues.

I hope next time we see you around you will behave in a more reasonable fashion.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.