Wesnoth 1.13.13 (1.14 Release Candidate 2)

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vultraz
Developer

Wesnoth 1.13.13 (1.14 Release Candidate 2)

Post by vultraz »

Wesnoth 1.13.13 (1.14 Release Candidate 2) is out!

Happy Easter! This release focuses primarily on bugfixes. We've been getting reports on a whole bunch of issues, many of which we would have not found without your help. :D Keep it up!

Again, the 1.14 add-on server is up and running, so go ahead and upload your creations!
  • Playtest the game, try out some of the API additions for content creators, and write down your observations in a notebook or similar.
  • If you encounter issues, don’t panic; instead, grab some bug spray and protective gear, and head directly to our instructions for reporting bugs. Most importantly, keep in mind that we can’t know about any bugs you encounter unless you report them to us!
  • Near the end of the release notes below you will find a list of the most important bugs known at the time of release. Some items are due to be fixed in the next release, but for others we depend on contributed patches from volunteer coders like you! (If you are a coder, that is.)
  • Check our bug tracker for a full list of bugs and feature requests, including other bugs found after the release was published.

Changes

Read on for more details about the most notable fixes and additions in this release:
General
  • 1.13.12 bumped the minimum required Boost version to 1.56. This release restores it to 1.50 as before.
  • libpng is no longer needed for PNG screenshot support, as Wesnoth is able to use SDL_image’s built-in support instead.
A number of miscellaneous strings throughout the interface were erroneously always displayed in English. They are now properly translated. In addition to this, a few strings that were previously not translatable are now part of the translation catalogues.
  • Fixed various issues with the A New Land scenario.
  • Fixed Lua errors when attempting to spawn units in Dark Forecast.
  • Fixed an issue where the game gets stuck in the loading screen while attempting to log in with an inactive or invalid username.
  • Removed the non-functional Password Reminder option.
  • Fixed Lua errors in Eastern Invasion scenario 5 (“Northern Outpost”).
  • Fixed minimap buttons not doing anything (#2681).
  • Fixed WML [events] with an id but no name being rejected.
  • Fixed assertion failure when using [inspect].
  • Fixed inability to deselect modifications in single-player (#2727).
Known Issues
General bugs:
  • Support for [filter_wml] [or] was added in 1.13.12, but the implementation turned out to work incorrectly. We're working on a fix.
General bugs:
  • The game can crash when planning recruits in Planning Mode.
  • Preprocessor errors corrupts cache (#1924). If this happens you have to wipe your cache. That can be done in Preferences → Cache.
Bugs specific to macOS:
  • Trackpad tap clicking is sometimes not recognized (forum post).
  • Unofficial builds with OpenMP support enabled randomly freeze (bug #1260).

Downloads
Source code (430.1 MB)
SHA256 sum: 0c5065c0f9934407b303dc68016414afb370439c172f52dbe6cda20ef87ec3ca
Windows installer (390.1 MB)
SHA256 sum: 9524b5f1ccc45b043ff26f5d0535dfdf6745126bb71ee2980c4c75a9023772fe
macOS installer (435.8 MB)
SHA256 sum: ac38390f71500b238c0f37319ab6eed8c24f2db15fa990ae01bd84903e1221de
All known Linux packagers have been contacted, and binaries for your distribution may have already been created. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to install them can be found on the Linux binaries page in the wiki.
The multiplayer server for 1.13.x is up and running. This server can only be used to play with other players running the latest development version.

The add-ons server for 1.14.x is already running. It was started for 1.13.12 and it serves all stable releases from this series.
If you encounter any problems involving add-ons not working as expected, please notify the content’s author or maintainer.

If you find any bugs, do not hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to report bugs first! As bug reports in the forums tend to be forgotten, you will get better results using our bug tracker. We need your help for finding and fixing issues, no matter how obvious, trivial or complicated they seem!

Have fun!
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Wesnoth 1.13.13 (1.14 Release Candidate 2)

Post by beetlenaut »

Using F5 to reload the cache no longer seems to do anything. I have to restart BfW every time I make a change to a scenario file, or the changes don't take effect. Am I missing something?
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I can't reproduce that.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

That helped actually, and I found the problem. (Change in KDE: My Apple keyboard now allows you to control music playback with the F keys--which I hadn't noticed--but now you have to hold "fn" to get them to act like F keys.)
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

With Apple keyboards there's usually a setting to reverse that so that the F-keys act like F-keys again and you need to use the fn key to get at the auxiliary functions such as music playback.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Yeah, I found it later, prominently displayed in /sys/module/hid_apple/parameters/fnmode. That file contains the number "1". If you change it to a "2", you get F keys by default. It should have been obvious. :roll:
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Well, okay. On the Mac and Windows (at least with BootCamp drivers) it's quite a bit easier, but it's good that it's still possible on Linux.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

I notice that the scrolling behavior of the new list boxes in version 1.13 (e.g., the recall list, the campaigns list, the add-ons list, etc.) is different from the list boxes in version 1.12.

In 1.12:
  1. Scrolling with the mouse wheel scrolls the list by one item
  2. Clicking in the scrollbar scrolls the list by a full screen
  3. The Page Up and Page Down keys also scroll the list by a full screen (the same as clicking in the scrollbar)
In 1.13:
  1. Scrolling with the mouse wheel scrolls the list by about half a screen
  2. Clicking in the scrollbar also scrolls the list by about half a screen (the same as scrolling with the mouse wheel)
  3. The Page Up and Page Down keys scroll the list by a full screen (as in 1.12)
Is this change intentional? The 1.12 behavior seems more consistent with most other applications.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I don't know if it's specifically intentional (the developer who implemented the new listboxes is long gone, and actually the listboxes aren't that new, they're just used everywhere now instead of the old ones). I don't see significant problem with it though? It might be nice to change it, sure, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort, unless it's easier than I'm thinking.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

Of course, it's worth making Wesnoth work like a new user might expect. The only debate is whether it's important enough to delay the release of 1.14, or if it can wait for 1.14.1
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Uhhh, no, there isn’t a debate to be had in this situation. Wesnoth isn’t going to be the first or last game with non-standard UI behaviour in this regard, and it’s definitely not the kind of bug that would warrant delaying 1.14.0 because the UI is still usable, just a bit quirky.

(Also, an announcement topic isn’t the most adequate venue for that kind of discussion anyway. We have a bug tracker.)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
darkwraith007

Post by darkwraith007 »

Awesome work from the Wesnoth team :)
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

gnombat wrote: April 9th, 2018, 5:58 pm I notice that the scrolling behavior of the new list boxes in version 1.13 (e.g., the recall list, the campaigns list, the add-ons list, etc.) is different from the list boxes in version 1.12.

In 1.12:
  1. Scrolling with the mouse wheel scrolls the list by one item
  2. Clicking in the scrollbar scrolls the list by a full screen
  3. The Page Up and Page Down keys also scroll the list by a full screen (the same as clicking in the scrollbar)
In 1.13:
  1. Scrolling with the mouse wheel scrolls the list by about half a screen
  2. Clicking in the scrollbar also scrolls the list by about half a screen (the same as scrolling with the mouse wheel)
  3. The Page Up and Page Down keys scroll the list by a full screen (as in 1.12)
Is this change intentional? The 1.12 behavior seems more consistent with most other applications.
At least (2) should be a trivial change, and i agree that the 1.12 behviour makes more sense.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.