Wesnoth 1.13.4

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Daniel17022002

Re: Wesnoth 1.13.4

Post by Daniel17022002 »

only sometimes happily. but it trigerred no event. I am sure of that! Anyways, I still think the music start should be changed a bit. it is way too....idk...calm?...I mean, the old one fitted the game better.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Event does not have to do anything visible. 1.13.4 inspect command also shows events, so possible to check there.
Last edited by Ravana on May 8th, 2016, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cant call it :inspect anymore
pyndragon

Post by pyndragon »

gfgtdf wrote: just from looking at this page: https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/commits/master
i can say that there are at least 7 people who made commits to the changes to wesnoth in the last 20 days: zookeeper, aquileia, Wedge009, loonycyborg, gfgtdf, CelticMinstrel, Vultraz.
Another way to measure this is that there are 10 people with 20+ commits YTD and another 3 with 10+ out of 18 total committers.
AKA pydsigner
Current maintainer of The North Wind and author of Heroics Mode.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Let me clarify my point above. Zookeeper was basically correct; wesnoth 1.16 may instead be wesnoth 2.0. There're a bunch of internal matters to be resolved and decisions to be made before that can happen, but either way it's a hopeful possibility.

However, then other possibility may also hold true. Without continued development, the project might not make it past 1.14. We've been trying to get on Steam for a long time now, and hopefully the last few things we need to put Wesnoth on Steam Greenlight will come through soon. That might spark more interest, as has been mentioned.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Sire

Post by Sire »

So let me get this straight...

Possibility 1: Wesnoth 1.16 transforms into Wesnoth 2.0. (What exactly this entails I have no idea. Is there a new engine, is it a reboot, a remake, a spiritual successor, etc?)
Possibility 2: Wesnoth ceases active development due to lack of developers. (Some developers may continue to contribute and releases may still occur, but progress will be extremely slow, if it moves forward at all.)

Currently, the only piece of evidence I see from an observer perspective and reading this thread is that Wesnoth seems to lack "active" developers. Like Pentarctagon, I would like to know some more information on, "Why Wesnoth is Perceived to be Dying". For example, what problems are besetting the developers? Is there is anything the community can do to remedy these problems? Yes, I see there is a push to Steam to "revitalize" the game, but are there any other specifics?

I have interest in working and improving mainline campaigns, but that is after I finish working on Red Winter and having a full set of Sire's Scenarios. If "Wesnoth is Dead", then arguably what is the point of sticking around? I want to see Wesnoth succeed and stay positive about the situation, but this news, however vague, is troubling.
Current Projects: [Sire's Scenarios] || [Red Winter Reborn]
The_Unforgiven

Post by The_Unforgiven »

Sire wrote:
Possibility 2: Wesnoth ceases active development due to lack of developers. (Some developers may continue to contribute and releases may still occur, but progress will be extremely slow, if it moves forward at all.)
Sire wrote: I have interest in working and improving mainline campaigns, but that is after I finish working on Red Winter and having a full set of Sire's Scenarios. If "Wesnoth is Dead", then arguably what is the point of sticking around? I want to see Wesnoth succeed and stay positive about the situation, but this news, however vague, is troubling.
You have the reason in your post.

Put simply, the less people playing Wesnoth, the less motivated the developers will feel to update it. The more active in development Wesnoth is, the more players, and in turn developers, will show up to play and develop for Wesnoth.

Another reason is because you (Presumably) enjoy playing. If you enjoy something, why not make it better? That is the model the development team uses.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

The_Unforgiven pretty much hits the nail on the head, but here's a more detailed response. Personally, my motivation suffers when there's no-one else expressing an interest in a project (which has actually been happening with a different open-source game project in the past several months, until just recently). As long as there are people around who continue to play Wesnoth, though, at least some of the developers will probably continue working on it.
Sire wrote:Is there a new engine, is it a reboot, a remake, a spiritual successor, etc?
There are a number of ideas being thrown around, some of which are, in my personal opinion, not very realistic – some people are indeed suggesting such things as you list there. On the other hand, even without a remake or anything so drastic, it could happen that significant enough changes are made that the developers simply agree that it's reasonable to call it 2.0 instead of 1.16. For my part, I think that either OpenGL support or a new, simpler GUI engine (or even both) could merit such labelling, though at present there are no plans whatsoever for the latter, only vague wishes being thrown around. (I'm not clear on the state of OpenGL plans; Aginor would probably know better, but I think it's a little more than vague wishes being thrown around.)
Sire wrote:Currently, the only piece of evidence I see from an observer perspective and reading this thread is that Wesnoth seems to lack "active" developers. Like Pentarctagon, I would like to know some more information on, "Why Wesnoth is Perceived to be Dying". For example, what problems are besetting the developers? Is there is anything the community can do to remedy these problems? Yes, I see there is a push to Steam to "revitalize" the game, but are there any other specifics?

I have interest in working and improving mainline campaigns, but that is after I finish working on Red Winter and having a full set of Sire's Scenarios. If "Wesnoth is Dead", then arguably what is the point of sticking around? I want to see Wesnoth succeed and stay positive about the situation, but this news, however vague, is troubling.
I personally don't think that a cessation (or slowing) of development would kill Wesnoth, assuming it even happens. The Wesnoth community is much more than just the developers, after all. But at the moment, it's not looking likely to me that it'll even happen, given the number of active devs around. This is something that could change suddenly, of course, but that can't really be predicted. On the whole, I think Wesnoth is probably doing better now than it was when the call for help went out... though at that point I hadn't been paying much attention to Wesnoth for a few years, so I'm not sure how good my judgement is on this matter. Still, the fact that it finally managed to stop depending on the long-obsolete SDL 1.2 library says something, I think.

Regarding things the general community could do, I believe there are still some mainline campaigns that need maintainers (ask Zookeeper for details), and some (most?) of the multiplayer scenarios may also be in need of maintainers. There are also units that need animations (for which you may need to ask Jetrel). If you're good at writing (in English, that is), you could try improving various elements of the game text (such as unit descriptions), the in-game help, and the HTML manual. The unix man-pages could also use some improvement since the devs seem to have a tendency to neglect them. (I updated the game man-page awhile ago but haven't yet touched the server man-page, and didn't do much in the way of general spelling, grammar, or phrasing improvements.) Translations could always be improved as well, especially if you have a good grasp of both English and the target language.

Beyond that, I can't think of anything other than simply spreading the word. (I've deliberately avoided mentioning code contributions, but of course there's a number of those open as well.) Some of the other devs may have other suggestions.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

gfgtdf wrote: just from looking at this page: https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/commits/master
i can say that there are at least 7 people who made commits to the changes to wesnoth in the last 20 days: zookeeper, aquileia, Wedge009, loonycyborg, gfgtdf, CelticMinstrel, Vultraz.
There's also
https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/grap ... -01&type=c
10 of us devs did more than 20 commits in 2016: vultraz (with a whopping 458), celticministrel, gegtdf, zookeeper, shadowm, Aginor, Sigurd the Fire Dragon, mattsc, wedge009 and loonycyborg. It's not looking that bad!
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

There certainly have been times with fewer commits - parts of 2012 in particular.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
James_The_Invisible

Post by James_The_Invisible »

Macro MAKE_AI_SIDE_PERSISTENT causes runtime exceptions on ending turn and scenarios. (A bit) more info is here where it was originally reported.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

I wonder why we have such a macro, if you want an ai side to be persitent just add persitent=yes to that side.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I've noticed some changes to in-game messages in 1.13.4.

1a. A black background appears underneath the text when you mouse-over an [option] in a message menu. Sometimes it starts black, sometimes it only appears with the mouse.
1b. There's also a faded trail of cursors on text input boxes.

2. The screen jumps around a lot during conversations between characters, even when they are on adjacent hexes. It feels jerky. I think it would be better if the screen only moved when a speaker was off or near the edge of the screen. Isn't this how it used to be?

3. It would be nice to have a slightly more opaque background for dialogue. It's sometimes hard to read the text over multicoloured terrain.

EDIT: 4. Labels vanish when a message is displayed. Was this intended to fix point 3? As it stands they flicker on and off in certain situations (like selecting options in a menu inside a while/do loop).
Last edited by Bob_The_Mighty on May 11th, 2016, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:I've noticed some changes to in-game messages in 1.13.4.

1a. A black background appears underneath the text when you mouse-over an [option] in a message menu. Sometimes it starts black, sometimes it only appears with the mouse.
1b. There's also a faded trail of cursors on text input boxes.

2. The screen jumps around a lot during conversations between characters, even when they are on adjacent hexes. It feels kerky. I think it would be better if the screen only moved when a speaker was off or near the edge of the screen. Isn't this how it used to be?

3. It would be nice to have a slightly more opaque background for dialogue. It's sometimes hard to read the text over multicoloured terrain.

EDIT: 4. Labels vanish when a message is displayed. Was this intended to fix point 3? As it stands they flicker on and off in certain situations (like selecting options in a menu inside a while/do loop).
I reported 1a and 1b, though they were fixed 2 days after 1.13.4 was released.

This is the new issue with [message] I am having though, so hopefully that gets fixed before 1.13.5 :)
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
GbDorn

Post by GbDorn »

[end_turn] no longer affects ai sides in 1.13.4 (compared to 1.12.5; I have not tested other 1.13.x versions).
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

GbDorn wrote:[end_turn] no longer affects ai sides in 1.13.4 (compared to 1.12.5; I have not tested other 1.13.x versions).
I couldn't reproduce this on 1.13.4+dev on AoI mainline campaigns first scenario.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.