Wesnoth 1.13.4

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: Wesnoth 1.13.4

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I think Vultraz is trying to imply that the next stable version after 1.14 might be labelled 2.0 rather than 1.16, though I'm not quite sure... he might mean something different...
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I'm sure he's referring to the whimsical idea that all developers would more or less abandon Wesnoth and switch to developing a completely separate Wesnoth 2 game. Which for sure has a non-zero chance of happening, just like 4 mages in a row missing all of their fireballs.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Oh, well that's a relief then.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Either could happen. We could have wesnoth 2/1.16/Rainbows and Unicorns edition. Or wesnoth could just cease to exist due to lack of new devs.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Um... ok. In that case, I guess I am un-relieved.

Though if that's the case, getting Wesnoth on Steam would probably be a really good thing. More attention/awareness would hopefully mean more people who are willing/able to contribute.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Uh, lack of new devs wouldn't cause Wesnoth to cease to exist. At worst, it would mean that Wesnoth just stops - ie, there would be no new versions. And that's only if all the existing devs also leave.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I guess more specifically then: have things improved at all since the announcement a while ago? Or does Wesnoth still have less than half a dozen developers?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Pentarctagon wrote:Or does Wesnoth still have less than half a dozen developers?
Has it ever, really? Individuals matter, individuals can make a difference in this case.
Anyone reading this should not be put off by the "community manager" pessimism and down-talking. Check out IRC before making any conclusions: irc://irc.wesnoth.org/#wesnoth-dev
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Daniel17022002

Post by Daniel17022002 »

Hey, probably no one said this till now , but I would like the music from the game opening to be changed from the one in 1.13 . it is kind of sad to be honest. I mean, the last one was much better in my opinion. also , found some bugs : when selecting an unit to move and also attack , it just moves and I have to click on it again to attack. <--- kind of annoying
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Daniel17022002 wrote:when selecting an unit to move and also attack , it just moves and I have to click on it again to attack. <--- kind of annoying
Happens to me in 1.12.5 frequently too.
I have a cunning plan.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Pentarctagon wrote:I guess more specifically then: have things improved at all since the announcement a while ago? Or does Wesnoth still have less than half a dozen developers?
Off the top of my head I can think of at least six people who are at least somewhat active, and I think that's a decent number, honestly.

EDIT: Actually, I can think of eight people...
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

doofus-01 wrote:
Pentarctagon wrote:Or does Wesnoth still have less than half a dozen developers?
Has it ever, really? Individuals matter, individuals can make a difference in this case.
Anyone reading this should not be put off by the "community manager" pessimism and down-talking. Check out IRC before making any conclusions: irc://irc.wesnoth.org/#wesnoth-dev
I mean, I don't really know. I have no way of knowing if somebody counts an 'active' developer or not, other than if I see a post by them saying their on Wesbreak. I could jump on IRC to get a better idea, admittedly, but I personally dislike IRC when there's more than a couple people talking.

And not to discount individual contributions to Wesnoth, but individuals won't keep the project going. A developer that contributes code once or twice simply can't make the kind of (very necessary) changes that Aginor has made to bring SDL 2.0 support, much less have Wesnoth potentially support OpenGL, for example.

So given that a developer, who has the title "Community Manager" seems to be heavily implying that development on Wesnoth is going to cease before a 1.16 version comes out, I'd like to know where that's coming from. If it's inaccurate then it's inaccurate, but very little would discourage a new person from contributing like reading that the project is almost dead.
Daniel17022002 wrote:Hey, probably no one said this till now , but I would like the music from the game opening to be changed from the one in 1.13 . it is kind of sad to be honest. I mean, the last one was much better in my opinion. also , found some bugs : when selecting an unit to move and also attack , it just moves and I have to click on it again to attack. <--- kind of annoying
For the opening music, there was a poll about it, actually. The old main menu music seems to have the most votes now (though it might not have at the time, I don't remember). I do agree that the current opening soundtrack is a bit quiet, but I also prefer it to how loud the old soundtrack was immediately upon opening Wesnoth.

As for the bug, you should post it on GNA.

edit -
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:
Pentarctagon wrote:I guess more specifically then: have things improved at all since the announcement a while ago? Or does Wesnoth still have less than half a dozen developers?
Off the top of my head I can think of at least six people who are at least somewhat active, and I think that's a decent number, honestly.

EDIT: Actually, I can think of eight people...
Good to know, thanks :)
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

found some bugs : when selecting an unit to move and also attack , it just moves and I have to click on it again to attack. <--- kind of annoying
This actually sounds like it would be aused by some wml moveto= events.
Or does Wesnoth still have less than half a dozen developers?
just from looking at this page: https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/commits/master
i can say that there are at least 7 people who made commits to the changes to wesnoth in the last 20 days: zookeeper, aquileia, Wedge009, loonycyborg, gfgtdf, CelticMinstrel, Vultraz.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

gfgtdf wrote:
found some bugs : when selecting an unit to move and also attack , it just moves and I have to click on it again to attack. <--- kind of annoying
This actually sounds like it would be caused by some wml moveto= events.
It can probably be fixed by adding [allow_undo][/allow_undo] to the moveto event in the scenario you are playing.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Besides the ones gfgtdf mentioned, I was thinking of Ancestral and Mattsc, though they're definitely not as active as those ones. I forgot about Wedge009.
Daniel17022002 wrote:also , found some bugs : when selecting an unit to move and also attack , it just moves and I have to click on it again to attack. <--- kind of annoying
Like gfgtdf said, this happens if the move triggered an event. It's annoying, yes, but at least it shouldn't happen very often... do you see it every time you try to attack, or only sometimes?